Watson vs Mahomes vs Trubisky: 2017 1st Round QB Year 2 Reflection

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
---------------------------------------------------------

I hear ya'. Also I wanna thank you for indirectly pushing me to investigate why the Houston "O" ( and OL) couldn't rise to a playoff level and fight back from the 21pt deficit. (see info. in above quote and of course post #251 )

Lets move on.......
A few things here. 1) Watson did not "throw picks"...which is plural. He threw one pick (so did Luck)
2) For accuracy purposes..... here's the exact quote from my prior post

Ok...so to piggy-back off that quote above..... I provided you with a couple articles that substantiate my contention of poor pass protection being a problem for Watson.
In one of the articles (I encourage you to read both linked articles).....Watson said he couldn't step into his throws cuz of inadequate pass protection.

I also provided the stark differences in the Colts quality OL vs the mediocre Houston OL (see the draft choice quality)

No one said it wasn't a problem. That doesnt change the fact Watson was also shit. Both things can be true. A QB is not absolved simply because he has a bad OL.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
The new thread that won’t die

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
No one said it wasn't a problem. That doesnt change the fact Watson was also shit. Both things can be true. A QB is not absolved simply because he has a bad OL.

You want to berate him. I get it. I thought he did some immature showboating. However, with the inadequate pass protection, he did the best he could under the circumstances. Read his quotes.
And remember....the game is won or lost at the LOS.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
God, I hope this is a bit.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You want to berate him. I get it. I thought he did some immature showboating. However, with the inadequate pass protection, he did the best he could under the circumstances. Read his quotes.
And remember....the game is won or lost at the LOS.

I am not berating him. I am telling you the truth. Watson was pressed 14 times. That is the 5th lowest total for the year. He also had games with just 7, 9, and 13 (twice) pressures. The bulk of the other games he was pressured far more. So no he didn't do the best under the circumstances as he has had far better games with higher pressure totals.

[video=youtube;YU2biPnVCv0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU2biPnVCv0[/video]

4th and 4 at 2:35 seconds - Watson has zero pressure and throws it right at the Colts. That is not doing the best he could and had nothing to do with pressure. They only rushed 3 guys and he still somehow threw it into double coverage.

4th and 1 at 5:37 seconds - No pressure and Watson throws incomplete. That is an easy throw to make and the dude completely misses it.

He sucked dude. Stop pretending it was because of pressure. He has faced far more pressure than he did in that game and looked far better. He simply sucked in the big moments. If he made those two plays then Texans have at minimum 7 points and at maximum 14 points going into the half. Instead he fucked those plays up. Shit happens. No need to make excuses and pretend it was the pressure. It was not on those 2 critical plays.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I am not berating him. I am telling you the truth. Watson was pressed 14 times. That is the 5th lowest total for the year. He also had games with just 7, 9, and 13 (twice) pressures. The bulk of the other games he was pressured far more. So no he didn't do the best under the circumstances as he has had far better games with higher pressure totals.

[video=youtube;YU2biPnVCv0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU2biPnVCv0[/video]

4th and 4 at 2:35 seconds - Watson has zero pressure and throws it right at the Colts. That is not doing the best he could and had nothing to do with pressure. They only rushed 3 guys and he still somehow threw it into double coverage.

4th and 1 at 5:37 seconds - No pressure and Watson throws incomplete. That is an easy throw to make and the dude completely misses it.

He sucked dude. Stop pretending it was because of pressure. He has faced far more pressure than he did in that game and looked far better. He simply sucked in the big moments. If he made those two plays then Texans have at minimum 7 points and at maximum 14 points going into the half. Instead he fucked those plays up. Shit happens. No need to make excuses and pretend it was the pressure. It was not on those 2 critical plays.

They only rushed 3 guys and he still somehow threw it into double coverage.
I talked about this earlier. When he wasn't facing pressure, he faced 8man coverages. What I applaud...is that he didn't toss 3-4 picks, since the Colts knew he had to pass.

He also had games with just 7, 9, and 13 (twice) pressures. The bulk of the other games he was pressured far more. So no he didn't do the best under the circumstances as he has had far better games with higher pressure totals.

Was he trying to overcome a 21pt deficit in those other reg. games? Earlier I made the point that the playoffs are a higher level football.
The mindset, the level of intensity are totally different in the playoffs.
---

4th and 4 at 2:35 seconds, 4th and 1 at 5:37 seconds ....which quarter?

Was this the first half, if so I saw him not being able to step into his passes. Did u notice how many x's he was knocked down after the pass? Especially after incompletions

1:21 end of first half, 4&1.... he was under pressure and couldn't step into the throw. incomplete & flattened . Second half at 4:13 , 4 &10 left side pressure. He couldn't step into the throw. incomplete & flattened. In each situation he was flattened cuz of no pass protection. We have to ask ourselves, who won the battle at the LOS, Houston or the Colts?
No excuses, just looking at both sides of the coin.