We Should Have Tanked

czman

Liked Posts:
Stats support your theory...but he needs a better PG than Hinrich or Augustine to play with IMO. If he has a terrible season with Rose or an actual PG....then I'll agree.

Hinrich is one of the worst offensive PGs I've ever seen.

He can't shoot. He is just not good enough right now. He needs to be able to shoot ~40% from 3 to be a starter in the league. His off the dribble game is weak. His post game is weak. He can't space the floor. He can still get batter, but from what we have seen from him he looks like a guy who is just about useless on offense.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Taj and Mirotic for PF....but we still need a back-up center. I think we need to take a SG/SF winger and a back-up devo center

16) Stauskas, Warren,
17) McGary, P.Young, big foreigner

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The absolute last thing of import in any of these trade scenarios is worrying about more minutes from Snell.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
The absolute last thing of import in any of these trade scenarios is worrying about more minutes from Snell.

Oh, so now it's fuck Snell after a rookie season spent waving towels for Noah on the bench. That makes no sense.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
He´s not aggressive or focused enough to score his own points like most PGs are. But he is very good in keeping the offense moving. He doesn´t lead the league in hockey assists by accident.

Hinrich is terrible. I still don't understand why he started over DJ so much late in the year. He can't guard anyone and his lack of athleticism and poor shooting are the main reason the Bulls struggle to score points. Your PG should be able to move without the ball or dribble penetrate and create scoring opportunities. He does neither because he's too old and slow.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
This is the definition of a dead horse issue, but yes the Bulls should have absolutely tanked as many (myself included) suggested. D. Rose goes down again in an excellent draft year and instead doing like the Lakers, the Bulls fail to execute a tank job. If they don't resign Augustine AND dont get Melo or Love, what was the point of this miserable season?

czman

Liked Posts:
This is the definition of a dead horse issue, but yes the Bulls should have absolutely tanked as many (myself included) suggested. D. Rose goes down again in an excellent draft year and instead doing like the Lakers, the Bulls fail to execute a tank job. If they don't resign Augustine AND dont get Melo or Love, what was the point of this miserable season?

How do you do like the Lakers? Do you trade Gibson/Noah too? Moreover, only one team moved up What if the Bulls would have tanked and not moved up. What then. You down a handful of places and you lose Gibson and Noah.

The tank talk is stupid. You can't just tank. You have to remove players to tank. Who are you getting rid of? You gut the roster to get the 8th pic in the draft. Yeah that makes sense.

How could the Bulls have tanked. You cannot tell the players not to play hard. You cannot tell the coach not to try. That will cripple your organization forever.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
How do you do like the Lakers? Do you trade Gibson/Noah too? Moreover, only one team moved up What if the Bulls would have tanked and not moved up. What then. You down a handful of places and you lose Gibson and Noah.

The tank talk is stupid. You can't just tank. You have to remove players to tank. Who are you getting rid of? You gut the roster to get the 8th pic in the draft. Yeah that makes sense.

How could the Bulls have tanked. You cannot tell the players not to play hard. You cannot tell the coach not to try. That will cripple your organization forever.
'

Worked pretty well for Doc Rivers and the Celtics in 2007.

czman

Liked Posts:
'

Worked pretty well for Doc Rivers and the Celtics in 2007.

They went from a 33 win team to a 24 win team. They did not stop playing hard, they just sucked. Moreover, they didn't win the lottery. I don't see how his has anything to do with the Bulls. Unless you are saying the Bulls should trade for Love and Melo, since the Celtics traded for Allen and Garnet.

I will state it again. The tank talk is stupid. I have not seen one person explain what the Bulls could have done that would have gotten them a top pick in the draft. I don't want to be the Kings or the Timberwolves. Not good enough to compete for the playoffs, not bad enough for the top 3 and not lucky enough to win the lottery. That is what tank talk gets you.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
They went from a 33 win team to a 24 win team. They did not stop playing hard, they just sucked. Moreover, they didn't win the lottery. I don't see how his has anything to do with the Bulls. Unless you are saying the Bulls should trade for Love and Melo, since the Celtics traded for Allen and Garnet.

I will state it again. The tank talk is stupid. I have not seen one person explain what the Bulls could have done that would have gotten them a top pick in the draft. I don't want to be the Kings or the Timberwolves. Not good enough to compete for the playoffs, not bad enough for the top 3 and not lucky enough to win the lottery. That is what tank talk gets you.

My point was the Celtics were resting Pierce a ton in 2006-2007 and Doc Rivers looked like a horrible coach that season. Celtic fans wanted him fired. They struck out in the lottery, and yes made all those trades to acquire Allen and Garnett, something we don't see the Bulls doing. But in the end, it did work out for the Celtics and Doc Rivers.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines

Nobody forced GarPax to go get DJ Augustine, they should have kept their busted 1st round pick and they wouldn't have had to tell anyone to tank it would have happened naturally. The Bulls would have had a top 10 pick, probably top 5 and even if not top 5 they still would have two 1st round picks to move up with.

The management has no creativity or style. Its no coincedence that Kobe sat out all season, he could have came back and they would have scrapped for an 8th seed. Instead he sat out. You don't tell your team to tank, its called a white flag sale and it happens all the time. The Bulls would look much better with a shot at Julius Randle, Aaron Gordon, or Noah Vonleh than they do hoping Stauskas or McDermott fall to them.

The situation isn't hopeless but when you have a chance to make a move that could put your team on the path for future titles, you don't settle for mediocrity and first round exits.

czman

Liked Posts:
My point was the Celtics were resting Pierce a ton in 2006-2007 and Doc Rivers looked like a horrible coach that season. Celtic fans wanted him fired. They struck out in the lottery, and yes made all those trades to acquire Allen and Garnett, something we don't see the Bulls doing. But in the end, it did work out for the Celtics and Doc Rivers.

No, in the end they were a bad team who had their best player out for almost half the season with injuries. They did not try to lose. They did not tell anyone not to play hard. They had no talent.

In the end the "tanking" did them no favors. The fact they won the next year had nothing to do with tanking to get a good pick. They did not even have a top 3 pick.

What you are typing is just incorrect.

czman

Liked Posts:
Nobody forced GarPax to go get DJ Augustine, they should have kept their busted 1st round pick and they wouldn't have had to tell anyone to tank it would have happened naturally. The Bulls would have had a top 10 pick, probably top 5 and even if not top 5 they still would have two 1st round picks to move up with.

The management has no creativity or style. Its no coincedence that Kobe sat out all season, he could have came back and they would have scrapped for an 8th seed. Instead he sat out. You don't tell your team to tank, its called a white flag sale and it happens all the time. The Bulls would look much better with a shot at Julius Randle, Aaron Gordon, or Noah Vonleh than they do hoping Stauskas or McDermott fall to them.

The situation isn't hopeless but when you have a chance to make a move that could put your team on the path for future titles, you don't settle for mediocrity and first round exits.

The Bulls would have had to have lost 16 more games to reach the Cavs, the only team to move up. Do you really think DJ added 16 freaking wins. Come on. The Bulls would have had to have traded Noah, the real reason the went on the reassurance after the Deng trade.

The real question is; would you trade Noah for the 8th pick in the draft. The Knigs were 20 games behind the Bulls. Would you deal Noah for the Knigs pick? If so, I bet they do it now.

Tanking is was not an option for the Bulls. They had to much talent, even without rose, and to good a coach. The examples you give are not at all related. The Lakers sucked. This season there were so many teams that were awful there is no way the Bulls crack the top 8 picks without a complete gut job.

It is not like the the Knicks/Cavs/Nuggets all moved up. If that had happened you could make a case for the Bulls tanking and that they could have had a reasonable shot at a top 3 pick. That did not happen though. We know that now. Now we know they did the right thing. Keeping Noah, having a shot at a FA (I don't think they get Melo but you never know), having a coach that has trade value, and not having to take back long term deals is better than a pick outside of the top 3.

I still want to know how the Bulls tank. Trade Noah for who? The Bulls don't want to take money back? What expiring contract can you move him for? Ben Gordon? Okafor? Not many options. Neither of those teams wanted to take on long term deals.

The tank talk is beyond stupid. The Bulls have to move established vets for expiring contracts so they hope that they are the one team to move up. Yeah that is logical. I am surprised, although I should not be, that there are people who think tanking was a good option now that we know where everyone is picking.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
The Bulls signed Dj Augustine on Dec 13th and won 39 games after that. They also traded Deng on Jan 7th, so I have no doubt that after trading Deng (who was barely playing anyway) they would have lost at least half of the games they won if they had kept Marquis Teague and let him run the team. They would have had at least the #9 and #16 pick to move up 4 spots to #5 and ensure they get one of the best players in this draft. Even if they didn't want to move up, it would be much easier to make an agreement with another team to draft the lottery player they want and then trade him to get Melo/Love.

Just because YOU say tanking is dumb and not an option, doesn't make it true. It has worked multiple times for the Cavs, its worked for Orlando, it worked for the Spurs to get Duncan (from 59 wins -> 20 wins). The Bulls just have bad management who can't figure out how to work the system and an owner who doesn't give a damn if they win as long as people keep filling up the stadium.

czman

Liked Posts:
The Bulls signed Dj Augustine on Dec 13th and won 39 games after that. They also traded Deng on Jan 7th, so I have no doubt that after trading Deng (who was barely playing anyway) they would have lost at least half of the games they won if they had kept Marquis Teague and let him run the team. They would have had at least the #9 and #16 pick to move up 4 spots to #5 and ensure they get one of the best players in this draft. Even if they didn't want to move up, it would be much easier to make an agreement with another team to draft the lottery player they want and then trade him to get Melo/Love.

Just because YOU say tanking is dumb and not an option, doesn't make it true. It has worked multiple times for the Cavs, its worked for Orlando, it worked for the Spurs to get Duncan (from 59 wins -> 20 wins). The Bulls just have bad management who can't figure out how to work the system and an owner who doesn't give a damn if they win as long as people keep filling up the stadium.

You are full of misinformation.

The Bulls signed DJ on DEC 13 and were 9-13.

The Bulls traded Deng on Jan 6th and were 14-18. They played 500 ball for a month.

After trading Deng the Bulls went 33-17.

So how is what you are saying true at all. It isn't. DJ did not save the Bulls season. The trade of Deng backfired and Noah went on wild. He went from ~3 Ast to ~7 and from ~12 to ~13.5 PPG. He also went from ~43% FG to ~50%.

Everyone wants to stroke DJ, like that is what saved the Bulls season. When all of the data shows it was really Noah who took this team over after the trade and carried them to the record they had. DJ helped, but he did not add 20 games.

The only way the Bulls tank is trading Noah. When people say they want to tank, that is what they are saying.

That is why this is so freaking idiotic. This idea the Bulls could have tanked without moving Noah is just ignorant. Nothing points to that at all. If you think trading Noah to get the ~8 pick is worth it just say it. Keep in mind that the Bulls would also not have the 19th pick season either. Also the Knicks make the playoffs since the Bulls are out and that may keep Melo in NY.

WTF...... The Cavs have been bad after tanking for years. They have never won a ring. What have the Magic ever won? The Spurs had 20 wins. You think that the Bulls with 9 wins on Dec 13th could have won 11 more all year if they had not signed DJ???????

The Bucks had 15 wins. 15 wins. 5 teams had 25 wins or less. That means that the Bulls could not have had a top pick unless they fell in the one spot that won the lottery or had fewer than 25 wins. DJ did not add 23 freaking wins this season.

Yes what you are tanking is pure ignorance. We can look with hindsight and see what it would have taken to get a top 5 pick and we can easily deduce that the Bulls would have to gut their roster to get their. Noah at a minimum. Possibly Gibson too. That is on top of the Deng trade. That is a lot to lose to to get the 4th pick in the draft. There is no way they win under 20 games.

It is stupid for more reasons though. Tibs has less value. You drive a larger wedge between Tibs and management. The team has a smaller change to attract FA. The change you move everyone and still pick 6+ is still very high. You lose multiple quality NBA players, and Noah is at one of the hardest positions to fill.

Yes, the tank talk is asinine.

You point to random team X that it worked for. How many teams have tanked and been bad for ever. A lot more. Moreover, this Bulls team is not those teams. This season is not those seasons. The Nuggets won 21 games that season and 11 the following. Tanking really helped them.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Tanking is done on purpose. Not by chance.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
The only way the Bulls tank is trading Noah. When people say they want to tank, that is what they are saying.
The Bulls allowed Joakim Noah to put off a needed knee surgery until after the season. If they would have demanded that he had surgery during this irrelevant season, we would possibly have a top 3 draft pick right now.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
You are full of misinformation...

Bullshit.
We watched the same games, and DJ Augustine factored heavily into the majority of those wins. I didn't say he added 23 wins by himself and the point was whether the bulls could have lost 16 additional games if DJ wasnt added to the team. You can write until your nose bleeds and it won't change the fact that Deng was gone, Kirk was injured for long stretches of time, and DJ was the offense for at least 16 of those wins. Yes Noah absolutely raised his game to another level, but if DJ wasn't there for many of the wins the team likely would have unraveled from the constant losses. The fact they were still competitve is what drove them to try even harder because they had faith that they could still get it done.

Nice moral victories and all, but I would rather have a lottery pick. You sit here and pretend that tanking = #1 pick, but in a deep draft like this year all they needed was to get into the lottery, not try to out lose the Bucks dum-dumb. The Bulls won 48 games based on effort and being motivated by the fact they could still pull out games. Thats called fools gold. Trade Deng, don't sign DJ, and let that bust Marquis Teague run the show. They would have easily been under 30 wins which would be good enough for #8 or #9 pick.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh, so now it's fuck Snell after a rookie season spent waving towels for Noah on the bench. That makes no sense.

Its pretty clear to me that Snell's personality and game really do not fit in with the rest of his team-mates.