Week 1 Re-watch: Did GB win or did CHI Lose??

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Trubisky had a couple good drives that is about it. He was still learning the system. He played poorly for most of the rest of the game. He bears a lot of the loss.

That being said there were some players that had missed opportunities to put the game away.

I think Trubisky was handcuffed by Nagy coming out of the halftime. The first 3rd quarter drive was quick hits and good runs and no 3rd downs until it's 3rd and 9 and Trubisky hits a ridiculously short throw that had no prayer of actually converting to a 1st. And FG for 20-0 lead. Nagy looked happy as in he was thinking "we won't help GB by turning it over".

When Nagy had a great 3rd down play called (3rd and 2 incompletion to Miller) Mitch fucked it up with rushing the entire play. For no reason either; he had both the time and space to finish that play as drawn up.

When Nagy needed to dial up plays for real, he often couldn't.

By the time Fuller dropped the pick, Pettine had Nagy's offense down stone cold.

GB defense had already won it at that point and the last 2 minute drive was just a formality GB needed to go through to go home with another win over the Bears.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Trubisky was handcuffed by Nagy coming out of the halftime. The first 3rd quarter drive was quick hits and good runs and no 3rd downs until it's 3rd and 9 and Trubisky hits a ridiculously short throw that had no prayer of actually converting to a 1st. And FG for 20-0 lead. Nagy looked happy as in he was thinking "we won't help GB by turning it over".

When Nagy had a great 3rd down play called (3rd and 2 incompletion to Miller) Mitch fucked it up with rushing the entire play. For no reason either; he had both the time and space to finish that play as drawn up.

When Nagy needed to dial up plays for real, he often couldn't.

By the time Fuller dropped the pick, Pettine had Nagy's offense down stone cold.

GB defense had already won it at that point and the last 2 minute drive was just a formality GB needed to go through to go home with another win over the Bears.

Trubisky did not make the most of his opportunities. He missed throwing to some open looks and played very tentative. Whether Nagy dialed back the offense too much or not still does not absolve Trubisky of not making plays when the opportunity was there.

That being said, Trubisky was still learning the offense and not up to speed. I don't think Trubisky shoulders all the blame, but a few more plays from him and the game is unwinnable by Green Bay.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Trubisky did not make the most of his opportunities. He missed throwing to some open looks and played very tentative. Whether Nagy dialed back the offense too much or not still does not absolve Trubisky of not making plays when the opportunity was there.

That being said, Trubisky was still learning the offense and not up to speed. I don't think Trubisky shoulders all the blame, but a few more plays from him and the game is unwinnable by Green Bay.

Agreed. I said all that in the write-up too, nor did I ever absolve Trubisky of anything. He was a huge factor in the loss. I did push back on Adipost saying he really deserved to be the sole scapegoat though

That being said, Trubisky was still learning the offense and not up to speed.

Even barring Nagy getting whooped on by Pettine in the last portion of the 4th, that point right there goes even more against Nagy for his bullshit sitting Trubisky in Week 3 preseason. His decision rightfully bit him in the ass as Trubisky looked clueless and uncomfortable outside of only 3 drives (2 in the first quarter and 1st drive of the second half). Even in THOSE drives he missed open guys which is why Mitch deserves all his criticism.

But also, that was not good enough prep at all on Nagy's part.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed. I said all that in the write-up too, nor did I ever absolve Trubisky of anything. He was a huge factor in the loss. I did push back on Adipost saying he really deserved to be the sole scapegoat though

Even barring Nagy getting whooped on by Pettine in the last portion of the 4th, that point right there goes even more against Nagy for his bullshit sitting Trubisky in Week 3 preseason. His decision rightfully bit him in the ass as Trubisky looked clueless and uncomfortable outside of only 3 drives (2 in the first quarter and 1st drive of the second half). Even in THOSE drives he missed open guys which is why Mitch deserves all his criticism.

I honestly don't think a preseason game of vanilla offense is any better than practice with the real offense.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I honestly don't think a preseason game of vanilla offense is any better than practice with the real offense.

Well I don't have a frame of reference to prove it but when a QB rushes throws for no other reason than he is rattled and trying super hard to make something happen vs. a live defense, I tend to think he could use more "live-fire" experience before he has to face it where it matters in the W-L column.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The first of many games & drives early last season where defenders OVERpursued their tackling angles, leading to huge chuck plays given up. DBs & LBs FLYING in for a monster hit way too fast to adjust to a move by ball carriers.

Happened vs. GB, happened vs. MIA, happened vs NE. A few in other games too but not massive TDs leading to Ls tho. That coaching drove me bonkers. They eventually cleaned some of that up by mid-late season...see the DET and first MIN game where defenders stood pat and tackled WRs surely after a catch.

Overall, Bears still lost ALL 5 last year by a combined 15 points.

Offense should pull their weight better now. Pagano will be more aggressive with blitzes. Will be interesting. Great write up OP.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I hope we aren't lammenting every missed pass this year. He definitely deserved criticism on his off days (off which there were too many) but he was accurate on others and getting shit for the sort of miss even the best have.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope we aren't lammenting every missed pass this year. He definitely deserved criticism on his off days (off which there were too many) but he was accurate on others and getting shit for the sort of miss even the best have.

I think it is fair to say he was very inconsistent, but really shined at times.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I am trying to keep the big picture and not lamenting every miss nor will I be unaware that every QB misses a layup completion now and then, but when Adipost said Trubisky deserves such a lion's share of the blame that he can think of no one else, I disagree but I understand that the feeling is because Mitch only played well in one drive start to finish this entire game and one can easily make the case that Trubisky's falling apart is what handcuffed Nagy's playcalling.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am trying to keep the big picture and not lamenting every miss nor will I be unaware that every QB misses a layup completion now and then, but when Adipost said Trubisky deserves such a lion's share of the blame that he can think of no one else, I disagree but I understand that the feeling is because Mitch only played well in one drive start to finish this entire game and one can easily make the case that Trubisky's falling apart is what handcuffed Nagy's playcalling.
I clearly wasn't talking about this game where he was less than stellar. My comment was prefaced with ' when he's having a good day'.