Week 1 Re-watch: Did GB win or did CHI Lose??

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
This Team has still not had that "defining" moment like that Franco Harris immaculate reception. When it happens we will know that the BEARs are truly destiny's child. Otherwise we might be perpetual playoff contenders/pretenders.

I "feel" we will become Destiny's Child but will it be this year ? Maybe. Can't wait for the season to start at Soldier

When Beyonce was hot

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He really didn't have that early last season and looked to be in over his head. That seemed to change 5th game in or so. The review of the GB game was fine but even without rewatching it, I can tell you that Mitch was not elite as a scrambler that game with moving off his mark too quickly at times and generally having happy feet. That got so much better later in the year.

He had elite awareness that game, felt pressure with no eyes and moved exactly where he can go.

You aren't wrong that he moved off too quickly or had "happy feet" at times but that was later when he felt the pressure to make something happen and was tired of seeing GB defenders practically beating his receivers to where he wanted to throw. I am not sure if that even qualifies as "happy feet" but on that critical 3rd and 2 that was incomplete to Miller for example: he rolled to the right and Miller was dragging right with him and the defender was at Miller's back and with him but fading. No pressure coming behind Mitch at all mind you and he throws when the defender is still at Miller's hip.

Just one second later (which Mitch had) and Miller has his guy behind him and beat for an easy first down completion. It was a hyperactive QB eager to make a play that failed to do so. Bad throw, way too early and the clock stops ... and only a FG can be had.

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Chicago lost it.

After the game in Week 1, I agreed (I think most did). After watching it again, I disagree.

GB beat the doors off the Bears so badly in the second half and far more thoroughly than the Bears beat GB in the first half because GB beat up on the Bears on both sides of the ball for the last 30 minutes while the first 30 minutes only the Bears defense beat up on GB while the offense got a punch and a jab in and then swung and missed the rest of the first half ... and most the entire second half too. This adds up on the scorecard to be a GB win even without the KO in the last round.

Last edited:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Too much over analysis here. It was the 1st game in Nagy's offense for all the players, Nagy's first game as a HC. Almost every single Bears fan with a brain knew the defense was likely to have to carry the offense, especially that first game at Lambeau.

Fangio did his typical "take the foot off the gas" defense. Whether that was by Nagy's plan or not, we dont know. But at, combined with key defenders like Mack and Roquan not being in game shape yet, sealed our fate.

Even with all that, we still had a chance if Fuller didn't have butterfingers that game...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He had elite awareness that game, felt pressure with no eyes and moved exactly where he can go.

You aren't wrong that he moved off too quickly or had "happy feet" at times but that was later when he felt the pressure to make something happen and was tired of seeing GB defenders practically beating his receivers to where he wanted to throw. I am not sure if that even qualifies as "happy feet" but on that critical 3rd and 2 that was incomplete to Miller for example: he rolled to the right and Miller was dragging right with him and the defender was at Miller's back and with him but fading. No pressure coming behind Mitch at all mind you and he throws when the defender is still at Miller's hip.

Just one second later (which Mitch had) and Miller has his guy behind him and beat for an easy first down completion. It was a hyperactive QB eager to make a play that failed to do so. Bad throw, way too early and the clock stops ... and only a FG can be had.
I'm a Mitch guy but he was clearly not settled or calm in the pocket that game. You'll see a contrast after a few more games in how his feet move much more efficiently without all those wasted baby steps. He may just be working at keeping his feet under him but all those baby steps is inefficient. He'll be taking seemingly 1/2 as many in his breakout game.

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Too much over analysis here. It was the 1st game in Nagy's offense for all the players, Nagy's first game as a HC. Almost every single Bears fan with a brain knew the defense was likely to have to carry the offense, especially that first game at Lambeau.

Fangio did his typical "take the foot off the gas" defense. Whether that was by Nagy's plan or not, we dont know. But at, combined with key defenders like Mack and Roquan not being in game shape yet, sealed our fate.

Even with all that, we still had a chance if Fuller didn't have butterfingers that game...

Too much under-analysis here. If it "was the 1st game in Nagy's offense for all the players" how do you account for the near 150 yards of offense in the 1st quarter alone? Does "Nagy's first game as a HC" excuse his inability to adjust to what GB did on defense to slow down his offense?

Did Fangio "do his typical "foot off the gas" defense"? Or did he benefit from a pass rush from the front 4 that went away and had no answer as Rodgers beat his rare blitz and also took apart his coverages when there was no blitz? Are you honestly implying that Fangio was NOT out-coached?

Yeah even with all that, Fuller could have won the game, wait are you implying therefore GB did not beat the Bears thoroughly? Because they really did.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm a Mitch guy but he was clearly not settled or calm in the pocket that game. You'll see a contrast after a few more games in how his feet move much more efficiently without all those wasted baby steps. He may just be working at keeping his feet under him but all baby those steps is inefficient. He'll be taking seemingly1/2 as many in his breakout game.

Oh no you are right:he was damn near rattled all second half. He was smart enough to see the flow of the game and that he needed to do something to stem the tide.

My point was that he has elite awareness in the pocket of oncoming rushers and is fluid in avoiding that and he had that in this game when the line broke down and scrambling was his only out. His jerkiness and happy feet when looking at throws is more of his needing to "do something" as GB is coming back imo and not a lack of pocket awareness. He did not develop his pocket awareness imo but he has that innate.

You are also right: In weeks to come, better prep and understanding of play designs will help him settle down. (but not vs. ARI and SEA if my memory serves)

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Really nice write up. We no longer have the "thank bang" option so I will like multiple posts.

There were a lot of growing pains in that game for the offense, Nagy, and Mitch. This was one of the few games where I thought Nagy struggled, and part of that is having a very new QB and not having faith in what you could do.

I found the defense to be more frustrating. That unit did not have the same excuses for not adjusting effectively.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Too much under-analysis here. If it "was the 1st game in Nagy's offense for all the players" how do you account for the near 150 yards of offense in the 1st quarter alone? Does "Nagy's first game as a HC" excuse his inability to adjust to what GB did on defense to slow down his offense?

Did Fangio "do his typical "foot off the gas" defense"? Or did he benefit from a pass rush from the front 4 that went away and had no answer as Rodgers beat his rare blitz and also took apart his coverages when there was no blitz? Are you honestly implying that Fangio was NOT out-coached?

Yeah even with all that, Fuller could have won the game, wait are you implying therefore GB did not beat the Bears thoroughly? Because they really did.
If GB beat the Bears thoroughly, we would not have gotten up by 20, nor would the final score had been so close.

Yes, Nagy got out coached on offense after the script ran out. Yes he didn't adjust...because it was the 1st game in the offense.

No, Fangio didn't get out coached...Fangio just in-coached in the 2nd half...lol Honestly glad he is no longer DC...

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I think after witnessing the 2017 season, the 2018 opener against GB was, at the time, a very promising result despite the loss. Going into that game, I thought Trubisky was a bust and the Packers still had the edge in manpower. I think that game showed the Bears had better players than the Packers, Trubisky wasn't a complete washout, and the Bears let the Packers win. You could see the foundation was there for the Bears, they just needed to "learn how to win", so to speak.

But, I think in retrospect after the 2018 season is over, we kind of "Yu Darvished" Trubisky's performance in the opener....we pretended it was better than it actually was. Its funny that Nagy ended up winning coach of the year honors, when he most likely is the last person in the NFL to be legitimately "outcoached" by Mike McCarthy. There is no way the Bears should have lost this game.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
, when he most likely is the last person in the NFL to be legitimately "outcoached" by Mike McCarthy.

I don't know about that. I certainly am not concluding McCarthy beat him... Pettine sure shut down his plays, and he definitely had no answer to give Fangio as Rodgers was up commanding the no huddle though.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Fangio just in-coached in the 2nd half...lol Honestly glad he is no longer DC...

I have no idea what "in-coached" means. And you purposefully ignored my reasoning for why GB beat the Bears in terms of how many drives GB won vs. the Bears (also notwithstanding the final score)

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think after witnessing the 2017 season, the 2018 opener against GB was, at the time, a very promising result despite the loss. Going into that game, I thought Trubisky was a bust and the Packers still had the edge in manpower. I think that game showed the Bears had better players than the Packers, Trubisky wasn't a complete washout, and the Bears let the Packers win. You could see the foundation was there for the Bears, they just needed to "learn how to win", so to speak.

But, I think in retrospect after the 2018 season is over, we kind of "Yu Darvished" Trubisky's performance in the opener....we pretended it was better than it actually was. Its funny that Nagy ended up winning coach of the year honors, when he most likely is the last person in the NFL to be legitimately "outcoached" by Mike McCarthy. There is no way the Bears should have lost this game.
I still have some minor concerns about Nagy finishing off games. Even while we were winning, I wasn't entirely happy with some of his sequencing though it also seemed to improve as the season went along. Not linearly as there were still hiccups late but overall better. I think we'll see better again this year as he has more confidence in the O. No way to know now but sometimes these things grow exponentially as various parts improve together. I think that could happen and we still win fewer games with our schedule. And then there's the D which should be more entertaining to watch and have great specs but could be more susceptible to a critical breakdown.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trubisky had a couple good drives that is about it. He was still learning the system. He played poorly for most of the rest of the game. He bears a lot of the loss.

That being said there were some players that had missed opportunities to put the game away.