Week 2 RE-WATCH: A Defensive Slug-fest thru 3 Quarters; Won in the 4th by Critical TO

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
SEA (0-1) vs. CHI (0-1) in Soldier Field on Monday Night Football

Again, quarter-by-quarter summary with focus on alignments and change in alignments as the drives start producing different results and the game evolves. I try to intermix regular type with boldface so the boldface inside the summary is linked to coaches' film analysis.

And the boldface at the end of the summary can stand in as a TL;DR shorter version

FIRST QUARTER SUMMARY:

Seattle gets the ball first and it almost a mirror image of the first quarter last week in GB. After a couple first downs, the pass rush pushes Wilson like crazy on a 3rd down and Seattle punts the first drive. NOTE: On the first SEA drive, there were quick passes and runs gouging the CHI defense for a couple first downs. It was 3rd and short and Fangio pulled Mack off and sent Callahan on a screaming CB blitz that forced Russell up in the pocket where Lynch makes the sack as Goldman was pushing hard inside, and Hicks twisted out to Lynch's side. Lynch gets the sack but it was critical that Goldman gets the inside pressure and Fangio gets the credit for shocking Wilson with the CB blitz from outside running free. Just like GB, the offense gets the ball on their first drive and you can see how well this offense can move. Mitch goes 8 for 10 down the field including a 17 yard scramble and the famous read-option shovel to Burton up the middle for the 3 yard TD pass.

Next drive for SEA, pressure coming forcing incompletions from Wilson and the Bears offense does not take advantage promptly going 3-and-out right after.

CHI starts off in control like Week 1 in GB. 7 first downs for the Bears vs. 3 for SEA. However just like in GB, the offense cooled with the 2nd drive in the first quarter stalling out.

SECOND QUARTER SUMMARY:

The quarter of Trubisky's INTs.

Before that, the defense for CHI was lights out. If SEA thought quick passes and runs would slow the pass rush they were mistaken. Goldman's power (on Goldman's sack near SEA's own goalline, Wilson checked the blocking on Mack's side. The LG was standing up looking back as Wilson made the check and he was in charge of tapping the Center for the snap and then got absolutely plowed over by Goldman for the sack).

Mitch's first INT:

Mitch reads ARob alone and reads it wrong. First, he could have thrown Burton open as Burton cut inside for the "in" route up top and other side of the field with ZERO Seahawk to cover inside. Second, as Mitch was winding into his throw, ARob was separating from the CB and beating him deep so the correct throw was to go deep but Mitch threw behind as if ARob should have curled, but it makes no sense for ARob to curl since the CB was trailing anyway. Bad read, bad throw. All on Mitch is my interpretation.

Mitch's second INT:

If it could even be possible, this pass is even worse than the first INT. I know many would say "It was batted at the line, so not Mitch's fault", but I slow motioned the coaches film and saw Mitch immediately try to hit ARob on the slant. Even so, the pass before batted down looked so far behind his route that I first dismissed it as being a possible target even before realizing that Mitch was looking there and there only.
With patience, after his PA to Howard, Howard would have run in the flat or even turn the first corner of a wheel and been wide open just one second later.

FIRST HALF SUMMARY:

For SEA, they have to be happy to be in the game. They were outplayed for the most part. Trubisky was awesome on the first drive and hitting open guys for the rest of the drives in the 2nd as well outgaining SEA 154 yards to 79 yards. The mistakes by Mitch that kill drives and assure no more scoring for CHI on what could have been back-breaking drives keep SEA in the game. The SEA O-line is manhandled by the Bears all across the front with 5 different Bears sacking Wilson and Mack getting another strip sack.

For CHI, more offensive frustration. You can see how elite the offense could be with a QB that knows how to progress in his reads. SEA should have been devastated by the fact that both INTs had secondary reads WIDE OPEN that would have been not only first downs but "big chunk" pass plays for 1st downs. Again the feeling that a 10-3 lead is shortchanging their own selves and the uneasy feeling SEA will make good adjustments to remedy this vibe coming into the 3rd.

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
THIRD QUARTER SUMMARY:

SEA Defense is not content on keeping things status quo. They come out in the same single high hybrid look they are known for but change it up with a little wrinkle. They wait and weather 1st and 2nd downs and send a new blitz package on 3rd down and 6 which Mitch sees but does nothing. No check, no audible, just hurries the snap as if he is going to race LB Kendricks (showing blitz with no blocker assigned him) for the play ... and Mitch loses the "race" badly to a 12 yard loss.

Next CHI drive, SEA waits patiently again as they get a first down and then on first down this time, they show the same formation only Clark is the blitzer showing a rush with no assigned blocker and Mitch again has no check or audible to his line and looks like he is going to race Clark to get the play off .... and loses the "race" again. Now SEA has them 2nd and forever and will weather the plays on 2nd and 3rd for the punt.

The good news for the Bears is that the Defense is still owning the SEA offensive line. They get no more sacks on Wilson but he is throwing mostly short at the line and LBs are swarming both inside and outside levels with full confidence that they own the SEA blocking schemes.

While SEA adds a new blitz wrinkle that Mitch has no answer for in the first 2 drives, CHI defense allows only one yard of offense all 3rd quarter and the 80 total yards of offense SEA has after 3 quarters is officially the lowest after 3 quarters in the Russell Wilson era.

FOURTH QUARTER SUMMARY:

With 5:30 left in the 3rd, Mitch leads a nice drive again that looks very well-scripted. Hitting short passes for 6, 4, 9 yards here and there, Mitch drives to the 17 yard line where Howard runs for 7 yards to start the 4th and then out of shotgun, Mitch rolls left and hits Miller for a 10-yard TD pass.

With the way the defense has been playing, 17-3 feels good, but the 4th belongs to SEA in terms of plays, first downs and points. Taking a cue from GB (?) SEA starts a no-huddle shotgun approach and from here starts hitting their biggest gaining plays of the night. It is worth noting however that Fuller had very good coverage on Lockett on the 19-yard TD pass from Wilson. There has been discussion on "great passes" from QBs and rating how well QBs actually throw and Wilson made a great throw imo on the TD to Lockett - that is a throw that has to POP anyone's eyes out and say Wilson MADE that play.

At 17-10, Mitch does not get sacked next drive but he struggles with pressure and a penalty allows SEA to give Mitch his first read while making sure the receiver (Burton) goes nowhere and on 3rd down allows Mitch to scramble while having plenty LB coverage to make sure no first down is given.

Prince Amukamara on the next SEA drive seals the win for CHI. Out of shotgun, Wilson just either mistakes Prince's assignment as a deeper zone or underestimates his speed and playmaking ability. Of note, SEA got into that shotgun with a regular huddle and was not rushing by using the no-huddle on the Prince INT. It was one of the few times they did not "no-huddle" the Bears in the 4th quarter.

From there, SEA would score again using the no-huddle shotgun plays all drive long but everyone knew it was too little, too late by then as CHI holds on for the 24-17 win.

So far this season, Mitch looks like he has two good drives in him and that is all. He checks no blocking nor does he have any audibles.

When the CHI defense gives the offense a TO (the Wilson sack-fumble in the 4th), Nagy seems to have no "put away the clock" plays that Mitch can run with high success. Forget even chewing the clock: outside of 3-4 offensive drives so far this year, Mitch has been very poor.

The defense has been dominant in regular play but shows a "bend-and-will-break" to a consistent no-huddle shotgun attack from opposing offenses.

This seems to suggest that both Nagy and Fangio are unsure of how to finish a game off by having a weak gameplan when going conservative on BOTH sides of the ball to preserve a lead.

PS .... SEA fans must have been upset and thinking one got away from them. They would have to concede the pass rush of the Bears was legit but HAD to have wondered why didn't the OC go to no-huddle in the 3rd rather than the 4th like GB had.

Last edited:

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
To your last point, on Nagy and Fangio having a tough time planning out how to finish a game, one can only hope that Montgomery comes in and is able to build the clock-chewing drives that Howard had trouble producing.

We are several games before Mitch shows the potential that led to his draft status, and I look forward to the breakdowns on how Mitch improved at identifying and adjusting to blitzers, and in progressing through his reads.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
To your last point, on Nagy and Fangio having a tough time planning out how to finish a game, one can only hope that Montgomery comes in and is able to build the clock-chewing drives that Howard had trouble producing.

We are several games before Mitch shows the potential that led to his draft status, and I look forward to the breakdowns on how Mitch improved at identifying and adjusting to blitzers, and in progressing through his reads.

You and me both, brother. I recall ARZ being more of the same from Mitch and at CCS, bearmick, remydat, halftime and myself were fighting hard against the posters excusing Mitch's poor play and acting like our concern was not legit because he was so young yet a lot could have been resolved by just average QB awareness and reading.

The first 3 weeks is like watching a noob at Madden not knowing what button to push to audible or knowing how to throw away

(lest anyone forget the godawful near INT in the redzone on a FG drive where no Bear was open and Mitch had plenty of time to chuck it in the stands but didn't and threw a perfect INT right to the breadbasket of a SEA CB that a SEA LB in front of him batted away because the Seahawk LB was unaware no Bear was behind him at all).

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Hey I like the guy, and think he's going to do well for us. I even bought his jersey. But it takes willful ignorance to just overlook where Mitch underperformed.

Some people actively blind themselves so they cannot see the truth. The truth is that this offense was more than Mitch could handle at first.

And hey, we all saw him grow in spurts over the season. There is no reason to believe he won't get better going into next season as well. But the truth is that he struggled early and made easy mistakes, and improvement is needed if we're to defend our NFCN title.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
This analysis has the strong flavor of "Mitch Sucks" (and maybe he does).

But mixing criticism such as "...SEA adds a new blitz wrinkle that that Mitch has no answer..." suggesting that Mitch is the entire offense yet on the other side, your criticism of the entire Seattle offense being dominated by the Bears defense, not uniquely Russell Wilson.

Mitch has no offense for the SEA blitzes yet Russell Wilson is out there getting stripped sacked by the CHI defense...

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This analysis has the strong flavor of "Mitch Sucks" (and maybe he does).

But mixing criticism such as "...SEA adds a new blitz wrinkle that that Mitch has no answer..." suggesting that Mitch is the entire offense yet on the other side, your criticism of the entire Seattle offense being dominated by the Bears defense, not uniquely Russell Wilson.

Mitch has no offense for the SEA blitzes yet Russell Wilson is out there getting stripped sacked by the CHI defense...

This analysis has the strong flavor of "You read bits and pieces but did not understand my point as you read"

"Mitch has no answer" because he has no checks nor audibles while Wilson does have checks and audibles and still gets hammered.

Pretty straightforward there.

Oh and Mitch did suck this game. Bad.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
This analysis has the strong flavor of "You read bits and pieces but did not understand my point as you read"

"Mitch has no answer" because he has no checks nor audibles while Wilson does have checks and audibles and still gets hammered.

Pretty straightforward there.

Oh and Mitch did suck this game. Bad.
He had a rough start. I'd really like to see Mitch string together a few decisive victories in the first half of this season and show us that he's put the mistakes of inexperience behind him.

He had plenty of great moments and a few really good games against good opponents. If he starts off strong everyone will forget the 2018 mishaps in Seattle and Arizona.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I know windy usually provides a breakdown a day or two after the games during the season, but I like your approach OLJC, consider doing this type of summary during the season, it would like garner more following since the game will be fresh in everyones minds.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I know windy usually provides a breakdown a day or two after the games during the season, but I like your approach OLJC, consider doing this type of summary during the season, it would like garner more following since the game will be fresh in everyones minds.

I appreciate the kind words, Md.

However, I most likely will not do so in the regular season. I really see no need.

CCS sees Thoughts and Observations by @WindyCity and Thoughts and Observations by @Rory Sparrow as well as @Adipost and his breakdowns of key plays and one of my favorites is @botfly10 's "Shit My Eyes Saw" which is totally tongue-in-cheek about all the analysis.

I will probably just reply in all these great threads during the season.

My goal here is selfish on two levels: 1) Practice breaking down film for a coaching job at HS level

and 2) enjoy a lot of football at a time of year that football is nowhere to be found.

Last edited:

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
It’s a good thing Mitch is light years ahead of where is in the first 3 weeks because he was dog shit

Visionman

Liked Posts:
It’s a good thing Mitch is light years ahead of where is in the first 3 weeks because he was dog shit
I remember calls for Mitch to be benched after week 2 & 3 last season. Yes, he definitely wasn't "getting it" at that point in the season...

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I remember calls for Mitch to be benched after week 2 & 3 last season. Yes, he definitely wasn't "getting it" at that point in the season...
I’m guilty of that as well. I remember after the cardinals game I had a huge freak out and a made a thread about whether or not we should trade him

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The football geek in me came out a bit and I analyzed the shit out those three games. I posted here that there was measurable improvement from week 1 to 3....from time in the pocket to delivery. He held on to the ball less each game and was looking to throw even before he took off and ran as opposed to just putting his head down and bolting.

You had to really look for it but the improvement was there...

I also saw him add more things throughout the year......if he gets those intermediate passes down, he will be very near the talent Wilson is.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I’m guilty of that as well. I remember after the cardinals game I had a huge freak out and a made a thread about whether or not we should trade him
I didn't go that far, but I definitely was asking if maybe we should switch to Daniel while Mitch learned from the bench for a time

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
if he gets those intermediate passes down, he will be very near the talent Wilson is.
That’s some high praise that I’m not so sure of. I think Mitch can be top 10, but Wilson is top 5 year in and year out.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The football geek in me came out a bit and I analyzed the shit out those three games. I posted here that there was measurable improvement from week 1 to 3....from time in the pocket to delivery. He held on to the ball less each game and was looking to throw even before he took off and ran as opposed to just putting his head down and bolting.

You had to really look for it but the improvement was there...

I also saw him add more things throughout the year......if he gets those intermediate passes down, he will be very near the talent Wilson is.
I remember it and was some decent posting. He needed reps to grow but even with the improvement it still looked iffy whether he would get it together until he did.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
That’s some high praise that I’m not so sure of. I think Mitch can be top 10, but Wilson is top 5 year in and year out.
I think he has that potential. He has the athleticism for it.