What Are You Playing Right Now? (Gaming Thread)

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah I think the complaint isn't with the mechanic itself, but just with the distance they chose to implement it with. Destiny had the same mechanic but no one complained about it. Definitely does not make sense to allow any player to just lag behind doing their own thing while the other players try to play the mission on the other side of the map.

One review said he didn't even have time to grab the loot that dropped from whatever battle because his teammate charged forward and it teleported him before he could get the loot box.

Sounds like something that ought to have come up in beta/play testing.

Oh right, they just have the consumers who pay full price for their game do the beta testing instead, I forgot.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sounds like something that ought to have come up in beta/play testing.

Oh right, they just have the consumers who pay full price for their game do the beta testing instead, I forgot.
This is basically 95% of games these days

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
One other thing about Anthem that reviewers seemed to complain about is that there's a really short tether mechanic for multiplayer so while the map is open world, if your teammates are just charging forward you eventually get teleported back to them if you're outside of whatever short radius they have as an acceptable range. Though I am assuming that's only an issue if you party up with randoms

Yeah it gets annoying if you have idiots in your party but not a big deal IMO.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah it gets annoying if you have idiots in your party but not a big deal IMO.
Right, like I said probably only an issue if you run with randoms. If you're with your friends, shouldn't be an issue at all

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Gears of War had/has great combat (IMO), other human players (up to 3 + you) in your party, and it has a good story (IMO), not great.

Gears also isn't open-world ala ME or Anthem, you are on a linear script pretty much.

Yeah I mean more open world that meshes good story all the elements together. Like if you could tell the Mass Effect story with the ability to play the campaign with your friends, that would be ridiculous.

I have heard before that the problem with that is not enough computing power to blend them all together in an open world but was hoping Bioware would have at least tried but maybe the DLC and later content will build on the story. There are a few characters (including one in particular) who has the chance to be a really multi-dimensional character if they build on the story told thus far.

Bioware still does a good job of making characters feel like they have real personalities in a way that Destiny still struggled with beyond Cayde IMO.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah I mean more open world that meshes good story all the elements together. Like if you could tell the Mass Effect story with the ability to play the campaign with your friends, that would be ridiculous.

I have heard before that the problem with that is not enough computing power to blend them all together in an open world but was hoping Bioware would have at least tried but maybe the DLC and later content will build on the story. There are a few characters (including one in particular) who has the chance to be a really multi-dimensional character if they build on the story told thus far.

Bioware still does a good job of making characters feel like they have real personalities in a way that Destiny still struggled with beyond Cayde IMO.

I grasp 100% the desire to have the combat experience in a Mass Effect type game with your friends, but I am not so sure about the remainder.

In Mass Effect, alone, I could explore anything I wanted... spend time reading stuff... talking to random people.

The conversations alone, I don't know how well that would work with friends in your party.

Do they participate in the conversations? Are they just pulled into the cut scene thing but they only observe?

In many conversations in Mass Effect, the way you talk to people determines outcomes and/or relationships... if other players are involved can they break w/e angle you were trying to take? Or does every player have the same discussions on their own? Which could take forever.

I'm not saying it cannot be done, I just imagine it breaking the immersion and/or being a drag on the pace of the game.

In Gears of War, you play the combat together, but the story is linear, so you just experience the same cut scenes together.

It is a different ball game if you are dealing with Mass Effect style choices and consequences and relationships.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The conversations in Anthem take place when you are not in a party but at your home base ie Fort Tarsis roaming around. You only get into a party when you are on a mission so I would expect that to be the case here.

So you probably would have to sacrifice a lot of the convos and decisions that occurred within a mission. That or you have a mechanic where the party leader makes the decision.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The conversations in Anthem take place when you are not in a party but at your home base ie Fort Tarsis roaming around. You only get into a party when you are on a mission so I would expect that to be the case here.

So you probably would have to sacrifice a lot of the convos and decisions that occurred within a mission. That or you have a mechanic where the party leader makes the decision.

Seems like, for Mass Effect, that would limit/break the immersion.

Though for Andromeda, it was so fucking shallow, they coulda done as you say and it probably wouldn't have mattered all that much.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
To some extent yeah or like I said, just have the party leader decide so for the gamers that are gung ho, they can just be the leader and for the ones that aren't that fussed they can just roll with it. I would think too if you are in a party with friends, yall would probably discuss it over chat before making the call.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Having played a little bit of Anthem with randoms, I can see how that tethering thing can be annoying...it does seem a little bit short compared to other games with that mechanic like Destiny. Haven't really been disrupted by it yet but I've had the message pop up way sooner than I would've expected.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So got to level 30 and now playing the grandmaster levels. Definitely a different level of intensity and some of the masterwork weapons are pretty cool. I would say Storm (Mage) and Colossus (Tank) are my favorites right now.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Been playing Anthem solo or with clone.... I picked up Colossus as my 2nd Javelin.

Thus far I can see how people think the story is shallow af, it is.

The combat is fun, the customizing of your Javelin is fun, the game is fun in general.

I do wish the terrain and setting was more involved in the combat, instead movement is the name of the game... slow down to snipe and likely an enemy will spawn behind you or circle around on you.

No cover, no destructable environment aside from exploding cans in some places.

I enjoy it, but I have my gripes like anyone.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
One thing I do like about it is it forces you to play to your javelin. So the Storm suit has to stay far away and use Wind Wall or dodge to avoid getting hit as on the higher levels, dude is squishy as fuck. Whereas your Collosus has to keep killing up close to get the health orbs to drop to keep replenishing armor. The Interceptor also with it's speed has to dart in and out of combat and kill quick while the Ranger has a good mid range game. Playing with different Javelin's is really a different game playing experience.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Still on Anthem mostly.

I am finding a consistent trend in the higher level endgame play where people tend to do Colossus builds that are melee with frost on the Voltaic dome.

Kind of drives me nuts playing Tyrant Hive.... Skorps are most vulnerable to fire, they run away from it.

My only Legendary Heavy Assault Launcher is a flamethrower, so I am constantly melting frozen enemies.

The higher you get, the more you need to be in sync with your squad mates.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Red Dead 2 and Ace Combat 7

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
The Battlefield V battle royale is trash. I think it has potential, but it's just not good right now. There are things I could see them doing that would differentiate it from all the other battle royales out right now.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I played Kingdom Come: Deliverance all weekend... a change of pace while I wait for my noob friends to level up in Anthem.

I bought it a while back on a Steam Deal, but waited until I got my new laptop to play it... fun so far.... challenging.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Been playing Sekiro Shadows Die Twice which is from the same developers that made Dark Souls. Based in the Ashina Domain during the Senjoku Jidai era of Japan with the lead character being a Shinobi.

Pretty good game but like Dark Souls, hard as fuck. You almost never beat a boss on the first try and lose half your money and experience each time you die which is pretty fucking annoying until you figure out a strategy for banking it.

In any event, actually defeating a boss is satisfying as there is a sense of accomplishment that comes with mastering it but I have wanted to quit out of frustration a few times now, lol.