dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
@dabears70 tells me DUD could be a STUD when healthy so I'm just going to hang my hat on that and say the Bears don't need a TE in the 3rd
Yes, and Kevin White will be a STUD this season with a change of venue. L O L
And run more than one route.

I mean, I guess it's nice that @dabears70 loves these "kids" so much but what he's saying when he says that Kevin White will have some sort of epiphany on a new team, is that his old team didn't know how to develop him. Weird, coming from such a rabid fanboi of Nagy and Pace.
This is where he uses his alt by accident to talk shit to you lmfao

I haven't even posted one time in this thread and the troll crew has already derailed Windy's thread.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I agree we have TE concerns. Shaheen isn't bad in the red zone. I don't see the Bears going TE/RB with their first pick. I think they go CB or OL. If the Bears DO go RB at some point, how do you see that shaking out in this RBBC? Will there still be a heavy dose of Cohen?

The thing is, any TE should be 'not bad' in the red zone. Shaheen was drafted to be much more than that, someone to be a big target in traffic down the field. So far, he has shown that he can catch the ball but then forgets how to play football when it's in his hands. Whenever he's fielding a pass outside of the red zone it looks like he's moments away from a season ending injury. Pace needs to do better.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
We cannot keep waiting for Shaheen.

This is an offense that has 2 TEs on the field a decent amount and the Bears have 1 TE I would bother throwing a pass towards.

A Burton injury cannot be allowed to cripple the offense like it did in the playoffs.

Yeah i've come around on adding another receiving TE. I like Oliver but would rather have J.Sternberger. I actually like Braunk as well but he hasn't shown enough to know if he can handle being the #2 receiving TE behind Burton if Shaheen is gonna be used more to block and in the red zone.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah i've come around on adding another receiving TE. I like Oliver but would rather have J.Sternberger. I actually like Braunk as well but he hasn't shown enough to know if he can handle being the #2 receiving TE behind Burton if Shaheen is gonna be used more to block and in the red zone.
:rolleyes:

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Bring Ben Watson out of retirement and draft RB in the 3rd

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Greg Olsen was a decent blocker and look how he turned out!

Olsen has more catches in a game than Shaheen in his career.

My issue is not his blocking. It is that he is borderline unusable in the passing game. Those Chipolte stories were hilarious, until we found out that he cannot run.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The thing is, any TE should be 'not bad' in the red zone. Shaheen was drafted to be much more than that, someone to be a big target in traffic down the field. So far, he has shown that he can catch the ball but then forgets how to play football when it's in his hands. Whenever he's fielding a pass outside of the red zone it looks like he's moments away from a season ending injury. Pace needs to do better.

Exactly

We were a rebuilding team. A rebuilding team isn’t using a 2 round pick on a one dimensional te. That’s called a luxury.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I haven't even posted one time in this thread and the troll crew has already derailed Windy's thread.
What are you talking about? I outlined my position on drafting a TE in the 3rd and literally agreed with you about DUD/Burton. That's it folks. To much talk about football going on here.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
3[87] TE Josh Oliver [San Jose St] 6'5" 249lbs, 4.63[40], 22 reps, 34", 9'9 broad

The lack of a 2nd passing game weapon at TE is holding the offense back and when Burton was out it was downright crippling. The Bears can believe that Shaheen will develop, but they cannot rely on that based on what we have seen and his injury history. The Bears need a player who is athletic enough for defense to account for in the passing game and that can threaten the defense enough that they actually cover him. Oliver has the size to compete at the inline TE and the athletic ability to fill in the flex position. He gives the Bears a player who based on athletic ability can threaten the seam and vertically, which will open up things underneath. In 2018, Oliver averages 12.7 YPC and showed that he can generate big plays and YAC, something Shaheen just has not shown that he can do. Best case scenario is that Oliver and Shaheen both play well and perhaps you can save 8 million in the future on Burton.

sjm-sjsufbc-0917-02.jpg

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 4[126] to the New England Patriots for 4[134] and 6[205]. The Bears and Patriots have made a ton of trades and the Patriots have too many picks to actually make so they will be active in he draft. Pace can recoup picks, which we know he likes to do.

4[134] RB Ryquell Armstead [Temple] 5'11" 215lbs,

I think that the Bears are going to take a RB with one of their top 2 picks as they need someone who can take some reps and who has some upside to step in for Davis if he is injured. I would personally take Dexter Williams or Devine Ozigbo, but it is hard not to trust Dane Brugler when he says that the Bears are really high on Armstead and that they had a great private workout. Armstead has size and power, that is obvious on tape, he also has some long speed that Howard was missing. He just does not consistently show the big play flare. On one play he looks like he runs a 4.45 and the next he looks like a 4.65 guy. The Bears need someone who can handle some pounding and some power situations and Armstead is built for that. I wish we would have seen him catching more passes in college, but that is something that only teams that workout him out will get to see.

USATSI_11572251_168386155_lowres.jpg

5[162] CB Corey Ballentine [Washburn] 5'11" 196lbs, 4.47 [40], 15 reps, 39.5" vert, 11'3" broad

The Bears need CB depth and they probably need to replace Prince in 2020 for cap reasons. We know that Pace likes the small schoolers on day 3 and he has drafted a couple of small school DBs in the past. Ballentine may lack top end experience, but he has NFL athletic ability and he has the size and thick build that the Bears seem to like. Ballentine can come in and backup, play special teams, where he returned kicks and blocked 3 kicks last season, and develop as an outside CB. Ballentine had 3 picks last season, so he has flashed the ball skills that can keep the Bears defense turning the ball over. Ballentine was a multi sport athlete at Washburn, running track, and most important he has man coverage long speed.

BallentineWeb.jpg

6[205] S Darius West [Kentucky] 5'11" 209lbs, 4.39 [40], 19 reps, 33.5" vert, 9'5" broad

The Bears seem set at safety in 2019, but they need help on special teams and they need to start developing someone for 2020. HHCD is a free agent an unlikely to fit into the Bears budget. Bush will be a free agent and probably looking to start somewhere. The Bears can add West who has a nice athletic, size and play style profile for the SS spot. West had 47 tackles, 3 INTs, and a FF last season, which is pretty good ball production for a SS. He has experience close to the line of scrimmage and has the tools for the Bears to develop. In 2019 West can be a core special teamer, before competing to start in 2020.

Darius+West+Kentucky+v+Mississippi+State+3OR9wWLc0ABl.jpg

7[222] K Matt Gay [Utah] 6' 230lbs.

I know the Bears could wait to UDFA to add a kicker, but my concern is that opens you up to 32 other teams bidding on and recruiting your guy. Gay is the guy I think the Bears should target. He has a big leg, has been accurate in his career, and has kicked in the weather in Utah. He was 84% last season on his FG attempts, with a long of 55. he was 3/5 on 50+ yard FG attempts and 7/10 on 40+ yard attempts and missed 0 kicks from inside of 40 yards. Gay can come in and compete with Redford Jones, the winner is the kicker and the loser goes to the PR squad in case the winner struggles and needs to be replaced.

7935796.jpg

7[238] OG Matt Kaskey [Dartmouth] 6'6" 325lbs.

I think that is essential that the Bears give a young player to Heistand every year to develop. When you have a positional coach with his resume there should be a constant stream of developmental talent into their room. Kaskey is a small school OT that should be moved to OG and developed, something both NO an KC have done in the past. Kaskey is apparently a popular player in the scouting community and someone the Bears have had a private workout with. He is also an Illinois native and would be coming home to play for the Bears. He has the size and length that the Bears could use at OG.

1_matt_kaskey4_pen18_tm.jpg

I like most of your draft. I just think you’re undervaluing Tolliver. I’m not sure a big corner is as important when we have two good guys with length already. I think a 4.3 fast slot dude is way more important at that pick.

As far as RB, I am all in on Rodney Anderson. I do agree that we can probably get a sixth by trading back in the fourth. That kid from Temple is not a bad default.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Maxx Crosby from Eastern Michigan in the sixth, if he falls. He’s got scary potential if he fills out his frame.

A dead no on a kicker. I get it, but I agree with you that Gay is the ONLY kicker I’d draft. If we had to. Which I hoe we don’t.

I really really hope you’re right and Oliver falls to us. Fingers crossed!

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I like that mock, Windy. Been on the TE in the 3rd train from the start. If theres a decent OLB prospect left, is rather go that route than CB. I have faith in Tolliver, but you can never have too many CBS either. They get injured often, so there's logic there...

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Oh I agree. 100%. Major disappointment. Just thinking he has a roster spot for red zone. More than Burton.

msadows

Liked Posts:
TE in the 3rd isn't going to happen. I have my sources.

mammalspod

Liked Posts:
3[87] TE Josh Oliver [San Jose St] 6'5" 249lbs, 4.63[40], 22 reps, 34", 9'9 broad

The lack of a 2nd passing game weapon at TE is holding the offense back and when Burton was out it was downright crippling. The Bears can believe that Shaheen will develop, but they cannot rely on that based on what we have seen and his injury history. The Bears need a player who is athletic enough for defense to account for in the passing game and that can threaten the defense enough that they actually cover him. Oliver has the size to compete at the inline TE and the athletic ability to fill in the flex position. He gives the Bears a player who based on athletic ability can threaten the seam and vertically, which will open up things underneath. In 2018, Oliver averages 12.7 YPC and showed that he can generate big plays and YAC, something Shaheen just has not shown that he can do. Best case scenario is that Oliver and Shaheen both play well and perhaps you can save 8 million in the future on Burton.

sjm-sjsufbc-0917-02.jpg

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 4[126] to the New England Patriots for 4[134] and 6[205]. The Bears and Patriots have made a ton of trades and the Patriots have too many picks to actually make so they will be active in he draft. Pace can recoup picks, which we know he likes to do.

4[134] RB Ryquell Armstead [Temple] 5'11" 215lbs,

I think that the Bears are going to take a RB with one of their top 2 picks as they need someone who can take some reps and who has some upside to step in for Davis if he is injured. I would personally take Dexter Williams or Devine Ozigbo, but it is hard not to trust Dane Brugler when he says that the Bears are really high on Armstead and that they had a great private workout. Armstead has size and power, that is obvious on tape, he also has some long speed that Howard was missing. He just does not consistently show the big play flare. On one play he looks like he runs a 4.45 and the next he looks like a 4.65 guy. The Bears need someone who can handle some pounding and some power situations and Armstead is built for that. I wish we would have seen him catching more passes in college, but that is something that only teams that workout him out will get to see.

USATSI_11572251_168386155_lowres.jpg

5[162] CB Corey Ballentine [Washburn] 5'11" 196lbs, 4.47 [40], 15 reps, 39.5" vert, 11'3" broad

The Bears need CB depth and they probably need to replace Prince in 2020 for cap reasons. We know that Pace likes the small schoolers on day 3 and he has drafted a couple of small school DBs in the past. Ballentine may lack top end experience, but he has NFL athletic ability and he has the size and thick build that the Bears seem to like. Ballentine can come in and backup, play special teams, where he returned kicks and blocked 3 kicks last season, and develop as an outside CB. Ballentine had 3 picks last season, so he has flashed the ball skills that can keep the Bears defense turning the ball over. Ballentine was a multi sport athlete at Washburn, running track, and most important he has man coverage long speed.

BallentineWeb.jpg

6[205] S Darius West [Kentucky] 5'11" 209lbs, 4.39 [40], 19 reps, 33.5" vert, 9'5" broad

The Bears seem set at safety in 2019, but they need help on special teams and they need to start developing someone for 2020. HHCD is a free agent an unlikely to fit into the Bears budget. Bush will be a free agent and probably looking to start somewhere. The Bears can add West who has a nice athletic, size and play style profile for the SS spot. West had 47 tackles, 3 INTs, and a FF last season, which is pretty good ball production for a SS. He has experience close to the line of scrimmage and has the tools for the Bears to develop. In 2019 West can be a core special teamer, before competing to start in 2020.

Darius+West+Kentucky+v+Mississippi+State+3OR9wWLc0ABl.jpg

7[222] K Matt Gay [Utah] 6' 230lbs.

I know the Bears could wait to UDFA to add a kicker, but my concern is that opens you up to 32 other teams bidding on and recruiting your guy. Gay is the guy I think the Bears should target. He has a big leg, has been accurate in his career, and has kicked in the weather in Utah. He was 84% last season on his FG attempts, with a long of 55. he was 3/5 on 50+ yard FG attempts and 7/10 on 40+ yard attempts and missed 0 kicks from inside of 40 yards. Gay can come in and compete with Redford Jones, the winner is the kicker and the loser goes to the PR squad in case the winner struggles and needs to be replaced.

7935796.jpg

7[238] OG Matt Kaskey [Dartmouth] 6'6" 325lbs.

I think that is essential that the Bears give a young player to Heistand every year to develop. When you have a positional coach with his resume there should be a constant stream of developmental talent into their room. Kaskey is a small school OT that should be moved to OG and developed, something both NO an KC have done in the past. Kaskey is apparently a popular player in the scouting community and someone the Bears have had a private workout with. He is also an Illinois native and would be coming home to play for the Bears. He has the size and length that the Bears could use at OG.

1_matt_kaskey4_pen18_tm.jpg

mammalspod

Liked Posts:
Man, I agree whole-heartedly with all your TE reasoning. I am not seeing it on the field with Shaheen, even when he's healthy he does not look to me like a starer in the league. Bears fans also seem to be higher on Burton than maybe they should be. The only way it makes sense to have an undersized blocking liability out there at TE on so many snaps is if he makes up for it with creating matchup problems and stretching the field. I think Burton seeing so much field hurt our run game last year, and his production in the passing game did not make up for it. We probably would have performed better overall with a cheap, late-round pick big-bodied blocker out there last year. I also really like having very big bodied contested catch type guys when our QB consistently second guesses throws ans holds the ball too long (which Trubisky does a lot). Getting good talent at the position is easily the single biggest way to improve our offense.