What is the weakest backup spot on the team?

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
The scary part is that Conte had more tackles than any LB on the roster except for Anderson.

that's because we couldn't stop the run or the pass poor bastard was trying to be an all pro and be all over the field and he just isn't that good

Liked Posts:
that's because we couldn't stop the run or the pass poor bastard was trying to be an all pro and be all over the field and he just isn't that good

I agree that was kind of the point I was hinting at. Conte may not have done himself any favors but is not the main problem on the field. Being weak at DT was & may still be the source of the problem, which lead to LB's getting swallowed up at the second level, which eventually lead to the younger LB's like Bostic trying to avoid blocks rather than shedding them which simply does not work.

IMO the problem was, & may very well still be the weaknesses at DT & LB. I don't expect two second & third round DT's to come right in & solve the problems at the DT positions right away. Plus guys like Ratliff who's 32 and hasn't played a full season since 2011, Paea who has nagging injuries every season, & Collins who is coming off from an ACL injury are also just as big of a question mark to me.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Say CCS brudders, who do you think is the most likely backup at LT?

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Wow this thread has turned rather remarkable in its context. There is no real agreement on the position of most concern depth wise. The one clear theme that seems to be merging is there's still a hell of a lot of work to be done to fill out the talent on this roster.

I worry about injuries not injuries like last year where so many wound up on IR rather just regular football injuries. A tweak here or there with some players missing time and it could spell trouble, especially late in the season. It would seem to me as though there's not a lot of room for error.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Wow this thread has turned rather remarkable in its context. There is no real agreement on the position of most concern depth wise. The one clear theme that seems to be merging is there's still a hell of a lot of work to be done to fill out the talent on this roster.

I worry about injuries not injuries like last year where so many wound up on IR rather just regular football injuries. A tweak here or there with some players missing time and it could spell trouble, especially late in the season. It would seem to me as though there's not a lot of room for error.

you are kinda ***gy with this shit. You will NEVER have Emery's job. NEVER.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
I don't think LB depth is really an issue. Here's why:

I expect DJ to be so-so and I expect Bostic to be a bit better than last year. So it won't really matter who wins or who's the backup because I expect them to be equally mediocre.

McClellin and Jones are both new to NFL linebacking so that's a flip of the coin whether either of them will be any good.

If Briggs goes down we're fucked unless Greene takes a huge step or Jones can step in quickly there. So I'll give you WLB depth being an issue.

Basically I'm not worried about MLB and SLB depth because the starters aren't much if any better than their backups.
LB play run and the pass and we don't have 1 LB that can succeed at both. Briggs and DJ are both on there last leg. Green and Bostic were rookies so they get a pass but they both were horrendous last year. Shea I have high hopes for so I won't say much about him atm.

BP348

Liked Posts:
To answer the original question,,,

IMO our biggest depth issue is LT. If Bushrod goes down Britton may make us wish we had Webb back. Hope I'm wrong or better yet hope JB starts all 19.

I agree with this. I'm not to worried about a back up TE and I'm not happy about our LB roster but I think LB backups are in better shape then what we have to back up Bushrod.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
you are kinda ***gy with this shit. You will NEVER have Emery's job. NEVER.
What word is this "***gy"?

Maybe you can describe it without writing it. :yep:

Oh ya, PS - and who do you think is our backup LT?