What really is being "blob" mean?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I'm not as negative as you think. I speak what I consider to be honest and objective opinion based on the facts. Yes my tone (which is different from content) is more towards the negative on this board than it is in real life, and that's a counterweight to the homerism on here, which is off the charts and annoys me. There are some posters who keep it rational and apply the same honest standards to the Bears as to other teams, but many, probably most, do not.

Btw, I'm not an old man, but I do take that as a compliment in this context.

As to what would make me view the Bears as a legit playoff caliber team instead of a blob team? Beat good teams. Get two out of the four Min/LAR/Min/GB games. So far they're 0-1 against legit playoff teams, 1-2 against blob teams and 4-0 against crap teams. That's the results of a blob team.

I thought you had GB as another blob team? Why did you include them with Minnesota and LA?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I buy that the Bears have not proven they are a good team yet. What they are to me though is a promising team. I actually have excitement watching them and hope that they can beat good teams and make the playoffs. I would be surprised and disappointed if they were eliminated before week 17 at Minnesota.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
f39ef076-ff50-4076-886f-fb272bcc8f4a.png
Was that some form of hazing or initiation at summer camp to have you launch your skinny friends into the mesosphere?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
What really is being "blob" mean?

Blob teams NFC
ENTIRE North division
Entire East division except Giants
Falcons
Carolina
Seahawks

AFC
Entire South division
Dolphins
Bengals
Ravens
Broncos

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If you read the thread I said that in, you would have seen that I explained exactly what it is.

I won't disagree but I'm really hoping the rise out of the blob in the next 3 weeks. Positive thoughts my friend.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Bears beating bad teams step one, Bears beating blob teams step 2. Bears beating playoffs teams is step 3. I wonder if Nagy knows this or if him and Beardick er mick even talk. So I guess being much improved and still improving is blob. I thought it was blob to be excited and blob to be happy with all the improvement over last year. Maybe I'm a homer but The Bears are not blob to me. There slightly above blob. I can't stop saying blob now blob blob blob blob blob blob. How about the rest of you blobs, did you blob last night? Is Beardick a blob poster? I like him myself altho we disagree about all thing blob related.

Payton_34

Seattle Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
All the talk about blob teams is really kind of ridiculous. Obviously the Bears are an ascending team. I don't think there's any questions about that. They're headed in the right direction. Most fans set the bar this year at 8-8. I think they way they've played has given rise to hope and raised that bar, in-season, to something greater and even has sparked talk of playoffs. There's still much to learn about this team but hopefully the momentum will carry them through some tough games ahead.

We'll have a much better understanding about the true strength of the Bears after MN/LA/GB. Still, regardless of the results of those game this Bears team seems to be on the right track for being competitive and even considered among the top teams over the next few years as long as they don't regress.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Blob teams NFC
ENTIRE North division
Entire East division except Giants
Falcons
Carolina
Seahawks

AFC
Entire South division
Dolphins
Bengals
Ravens
Broncos

Hmmm...seems hard to get out of this blob when over 90% of the teams are in it or worse. Guess you have to take advantage of the maybe 1 or 2 "real" teams you play a season to boost your cred. Then again, With any given Sunday, I guess it could take a decade of elite play to break out of said "blob"...

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hmmm...seems hard to get out of this blob when over 90% of the teams are in it or worse. Guess you have to take advantage of the maybe 1 or 2 "real" teams you play a season to boost your cred. Then again, With any given Sunday, I guess it could take a decade of elite play to break out of said "blob"...

Need to work on your math in a major way. I named 18 Blob teams, not remotely close to 90%.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Need to work on your math in a major way. I named 18 Blob teams, not remotely close to 90%.

And you need to work on your comprehension. I also included the bad teams, which you didn't include in your blob. Figured it was assumed that beating bad teams doesnt improve your cred, if beating other blob twams doesn't.

But just to give me an accurate percentage...list the teams you consider to be better than blob status that if we beat them would enable us to get into that group.

Also while youre at it, can you list how many we need to beat (preferably as a win %) before we could get there?

Thanks....i'll wait...

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
And you need to work on your comprehension. I also included the bad teams, which you didn't include in your blob. Figured it was assumed that beating bad teams doesnt improve your cred, if beating other blob twams doesn't.

But just to give me an accurate percentage...list the teams you consider to be better than blob status that if we beat them would enable us to get into that group.

Also while youre at it, can you list how many we need to beat (preferably as a win %) before we could get there?

Thanks....i'll wait...

Mick was accurate when he said there’s 6-8 top teams and another 6-8 shit teams. Then the rest are blobs.

I see both Detroit and Vikes as being very beatable. Need Bears to take at least 3 of those 4 games. A victory over the Packers should be very doable as well. A victory over the Rams would truly impress.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;AK5jyVCdXwc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK5jyVCdXwc[/video]

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
In a small rural Pennsylvania town in July 1957, teenager Steve Andrews (Steve McQueen) and his girlfriend, Jane Martin (Aneta Corsaut), are kissing at a lovers' lane when they see a meteorite crash beyond the next hill; Steve decides to look for it. An old man (Olin Howland) living nearby finds it first. When he pokes the meteorite with a stick, it breaks open, and a small jelly-like globule inside attaches itself to his hand. In pain and unable to scrape or shake it loose, the old man runs onto the road, where he is nearly struck by Steve's car; Steve and Jane take him to Doctor Hallen (Stephen Chase).

Doctor Hallen anesthetizes the man and sends Steve and Jane back to locate the impact site and gather information. Hallen decides he must amputate the man's arm since it is being consumed. Before he can, The Blob completely consumes the old man, then Hallen's nurse, and finally the doctor himself, all the while continuing to grow. Steve and Jane return in time for Steve to witness the doctor trying to get out the window with the creature on his head. They leave and go to the police station and return with Lieutenant Dave (Earl Rowe) and Sergeant Bert (John Benson). There is no sign, however, of The Blob or its victims, and Bert dismisses Steve's story as a teenage prank. Steve and Jane are taken home by their parents, but they later sneak out.

In the meantime, the creature consumes a mechanic at a repair shop and grows in size every time it consumes something. At the Colonial Theater, which is showing a midnight screening of Daughter of Horror, Steve recruits Tony (Robert Fields) and some of his friends to warn people about The Blob. When Steve notices that his father's grocery store is unlocked, he and Jane go inside. The janitor is nowhere to be seen. Then the couple are cornered by the creature; they seek refuge in the walk-in freezer. The Blob oozes in under the door, but quickly retreats. Steve and Jane gather their friends and set off the town's fire and air-raid alarms. The townspeople and police still refuse to believe Steve. Meanwhile, the creature enters the Colonial Theater and engulfs and devours the projectionist before oozing into the auditorium, consuming a number of the audience. Steve is finally vindicated when screaming people leave the theater in blind panic.

Jane, Danny, and Steve become trapped in the diner, along with the manager and a waitress. The Blob, now enormous and blood red from the people it has consumed, has engulfed the building. Dave has a connection made from his police radio to the diner's telephone, telling those in the diner to get into the cellar before they bring down a live power line onto the diner.

When the live wire lands, it discharges a massive electrical current into The Blob, but it is unaffected and the diner is set ablaze. When the diner manager uses a carbon dioxide extinguisher on the fire, Steve notices that this causes the creature to recoil. Steve remembers that it also retreated from the freezer, saying "That's why it didn't come in the ice box after us. It can't stand cold"! Shouting in hopes of being picked up on the open phone line, Steve tells Dave about The Blob's vulnerability to cold. Jane's father, Mr. Martin (Elbert Smith), leads Steve's friends to the high school to retrieve the twenty fire extinguishers there. Returning, the brigade of fire extinguisher-armed students and police first drive the creature away from the diner, then freeze it, saving Steve, Jane, and the others.

Dave requests authorities send an Air Force heavy-lift cargo aircraft to transport the Blob to the Arctic, where it is later parachuted down to the ice and snow pack. Dave says that while the creature is not dead, at least it has been stopped. To this, Steve Andrews replies, "Yeah, as long as the Arctic stays cold".

When The Blob first premiered as the B film of the double bill with I Married a Monster from Outer Space, it was quickly moved up to be the main feature. While audiences liked it, critics were not as kind. The review in The New York Times highlighted some of the problems and identified some positives, although Steve McQueen's debut was not one of them. Concentrating on director Irvin Yeaworth's work, "Unfortunately, his picture talks itself to death, even with the blob nibbling away at everybody in sight. And most of his trick effects, under the direction of Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr., look pretty phony".[8]

The review continued with, "On the credit side, the camera very snugly frames the small town background — a store, a church spire, several homes and a theatre. The color is quite good (the blob rolls around in at least a dozen horrible-looking flavors, including raspberry). The acting is pretty terrible itself, there is not a single becomingly familiar face in the cast, headed by young Steven McQueen and Aneta Corseaut."[8]

Variety had a similar reaction, seeing McQueen as the star, gamely "giving the old college try" but that the "... Star performers, however, are the camerawork of Thomas Spalding and Barton Sloane’s special effects".[9]

In a discussion with biologist Richard Dawkins, astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson stated that among all Hollywood aliens, which were usually disappointing from a scientific perspective, The Blob was his favorite.[10]

The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 68% approval rating based on 31 reviews, with an average rating of 6.3/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "In spite of its chortle-worthy premise and dated special effects, The Blob remains a prime example of how satisfying cheesy B-movie monster thrills can be."[11]

In May 2018, the film was shown on the very popular, Chicago based “Svengoolie” Show on “MeTV” and while host Svengoolie was giving background info on the film, he explained that this film was the last time McQueen was ever listed as Steven on film credits. McQueen would go on star in “Wanted: Dead Or Alive” which reruns also currently air on “MeTV”

Since 2000, the town of Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, one of the filming locations, has held an annual "Blobfest". Activities include a re-enactment of the scene in which moviegoers run screaming from the town's Colonial Theatre, which has recently been restored.[18] Chef's Diner in Downingtown is also restored, and is open for business for photographs of the basement on weekday mornings only.

The Blob itself was made from silicone, with increasing amounts of red vegetable dye added as it "absorbed" people. In 1965, it was bought by film collector Wes Shank,[19] who has written a book about the making of The Blob.[20]

According to Jeff Sharlet in his book The Family, The Blob was "about the creeping horrors of communism" only defeated "by freezing it — the Cold War writ small and literal".[21] Rudy Nelson, one of the scriptwriters for the film, has denied many of Sharlet's assertions, saying "What on earth can Sharlet say about the movie that will fill 23 pages—especially when what he thinks he knows is all wrong"?[22]

In 1997, film historians Kim R. Holston and Tom Winchester noted that the film was "Filmed in southeastern Pennsylvania at Valley Forge Studios, (and) this very famous piece of pop culture is a model of a decent movie on a small budget".[23]

The poster for The Blob was briefly shown in Steven Spielberg's 2017 film The Post starring Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep.

The film is recognized by American Film Institute in these lists:

2001: AFI's 100 Years...100 Thrills – Nominated[24]
2003: AFI's 100 Years...100 Heroes & Villains:
“The Blob” – Nominated Villain[25]

Interesting!

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Mick was accurate when he said there’s 6-8 top teams and another 6-8 shit teams. Then the rest are blobs.

I see both Detroit and Vikes as being very beatable. Need Bears to take at least 3 of those 4 games. A victory over the Packers should be very doable as well. A victory over the Rams would truly impress.

Detroit, Vikes, and Pack are all blobs according to him. So what does beating them accomplish?

Anything can happen AGS, plus we have the Rams at home in the cold, so that's in our favor. Theres no way winning that games get Mick to Change his "unbiased" opinion...

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Racism! Why did you make them black? Please ban Grimson and send him to live in Africa.
Why do you add send him to Africa as an additional form of punishment to banning. Racist much?

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why do you add send him to Africa as an additional form of punishment to banning. Racist much?

You should see the disturbing PMs he's spamming me with. I definitely hit a nerve with the little fella.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Post them.