What rule changes would you like to see...

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
that make this great game even better and/or safer?

- Get rid of the "spot of the ball' pass interference call. make it a 15 yard penalty

- One foot inbounds is a reception. Does not matter if the ball is moving when the receiver ends up out of bounds, in the endzone or lands on the ground, as long as it does not touch the ground, it's a catch.

- 50+ yard FG = 4 points

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
On your first, I agree in essence. "Minor" infractions should be 5 yards, "major" should be ten, and unsportsmanlike conduct should be the only thing longer at 15 yards

On your second, I disagree. I think the second foot is still important, but once the second foot touches with control of the ball, a catch has been established.

For the last, there is nothing I find about a longer field goal that is worth an extra point. I don't think that makes the game better not safer.

I will say that defensive offsides or unabated to the QB or whatever should always be a dead ball foul. I think I remember the refs calling more of those plays dead, but I don't think offenses should get free plays from penalties that occurred prior or at the moment of the snap.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
On your first, I agree in essence. "Minor" infractions should be 5 yards, "major" should be ten, and unsportsmanlike conduct should be the only thing longer at 15 yards

On your second, I disagree. I think the second foot is still important, but once the second foot touches with control of the ball, a catch has been established.

For the last, there is nothing I find about a longer field goal that is worth an extra point. I don't think that makes the game better not safer.

I will say that defensive offsides or unabated to the QB or whatever should always be a dead ball foul. I think I remember the refs calling more of those plays dead, but I don't think offenses should get free plays from penalties that occurred prior or at the moment of the snap.

As college ball has proved it brings us more spectacular catches, that is why the one foot is important.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
that make this great game even better and/or safer?

- Get rid of the "spot of the ball' pass interference call. make it a 15 yard penalty

- One foot inbounds is a reception. Does not matter if the ball is moving when the receiver ends up out of bounds, in the endzone or lands on the ground, as long as it does not touch the ground, it's a catch.

- 50+ yard FG = 4 points

I agree with moving pass interference back to something more reasonable, like 15 yards from the line of scrimmage. Too many times offenses move the ball down field +45 yards on two pass interference calls.

That would be better for the Bears anyway because Trubisky cannot throw the ball down field with any accuracy anyway. It would help our defense.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
As college ball has proved it brings us more spectacular catches, that is why the one foot is important.
Well reasonable minds can disagree on what makes a catch more spectacular, so I can't say that college ball proved it either way. I personally think that it is appropriate to increase the difficulty on what constitutes a catch when going up to the pros (without being ridiculous of course) and that requiring one extra to tap is a fine way to do that. I do enjoy the acrobatics of receivers trying to get that second foot down.

Besides, if the idea is to increase the catches (in number or for spectacle) then the game becomes even more about offense and less than defense. Instead, I'd rather go the other way and permit more hand fighting and contact with the DB

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Agree with the 15 yard PI. Way too many fields flipped on questionable calls.

Really disagree with the 4 point 50 yard FG. Why should a team be rewarded for not getting very far into another team's territory?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why are some calls non-reviewable, just have that review count as one of the coaches challenges.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I wish they'd get rid of all the changes they made to the kickoff/touchback at the 25.

On one hand, it's kind of cool that Devin Hester will likely be the last return man to ever matter. But it feels weird that kickoffs basically don't mean shit anymore.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Playing offense has become too easy, so anything to help the defense.

Let the DBs make contact with the WRs for up to 10 yards away from the LOS like it used to be.

BearDownTexas

Liked Posts:
Just make it two hand touch already. The suspense is killing me. Of course then we will spend 5 or 6 seasons figuring out what constitutes two hands, or how hard you can tag the QB without hurting his feelings.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wish they'd get rid of all the changes they made to the kickoff/touchback at the 25.

On one hand, it's kind of cool that Devin Hester will likely be the last return man to ever matter. But it feels weird that kickoffs basically don't mean shit anymore.

They've made kickoffs seem like a waste of time. The changes were to make the game safer/fewer concussions, were there a lot of concussions before the change, didn't seem like it. If there were do stats show the new rule is working?

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see the 10 yard bump rule reinstated.

I'd like to see the severity of defensive penalties reduced (eg aside from offside just about everything is an automatic first down).

I think safeties should be worth more.

If I am running the ball and fumble the ball out of bounds its a dead ball at the point where I lost it, except if it happens in the end zone. I'd like that rule to be changed so it's consistent.

Overtime should either be college rules or be a full shortened quarter.

Season expanded to 18 games.

Also, unless there is an absolute need, any BS rules made in the name of player safety need to go. Everyone knows the risks at this point.

jive

Liked Posts:
If they changed the pass interference rule to 15 yards max, Aaron Rodgers wouldn't have a career.
Although I agree that there needs to be a rule change, there should still be something for egregious penalties. Otherwise, defenders will just maul receivers to give up 15 yards instead of a long bomb or TD.

Let pass defenders bump more than once within 5 yards.

30 second play clock. Only time a team uses all 45 is to run down the clock anyway.

3 preseason games instead of 4. Lets the starters rest more, and the scrubs play more to battle for roster spots.

Either allow challenges within 2 minutes, or have every play reviewed. Too many bungled calls that cost games with no time to bounce back.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
If they changed the pass interference rule to 15 yards max, Aaron Rodgers wouldn't have a career.
Although I agree that there needs to be a rule change, there should still be something for egregious penalties. Otherwise, defenders will just maul receivers to give up 15 yards instead of a long bomb or TD.

Let pass defenders bump more than once within 5 yards.

30 second play clock. Only time a team uses all 45 is to run down the clock anyway.

3 preseason games instead of 4. Lets the starters rest more, and the scrubs play more to battle for roster spots.

Either allow challenges within 2 minutes, or have every play reviewed. Too many bungled calls that cost games with no time to bounce back.
I agree on most of these. I think though with defensive PI, they should figure out what the average penalty is and then impose that as the reciprocal penalty on offense. No way it's only 10 yards.

Just looked it up. Average PI is 17.65 yards, thus it should be 18 or 20 yard penalty on the offense

Last edited:

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Big one for me, no automatic first downs. If you get a 5 yard penalty you replay the down if the yardage does not result in a first down.

Make it a penalty for faking...
Give one point for kickoffs that go through the uprights..
Allow 10 yards of contact (not holding) on WR's
15 yard PI

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Agree with the 15 yard PI. Way too many fields flipped on questionable calls.

Really disagree with the 4 point 50 yard FG. Why should a team be rewarded for not getting very far into another team's territory?

Maybe instead of using a yardage distance to determine the points, use downs. You get 4 points for making a FG on 2nd down, 5 points for making a FG on 1st down...call it "The Trestman Rule".

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that the whole thing of it be an offensive league with crazy scoring and all passing is overrated. It is well balanced. When the Rams play the Chiefs they score 50, but against the Bears they score 3. At the end of the year the best defenses are normally right there. There was plenty of running in the NFL last year as well.

Defensive holding in the secondary is the only thing that bothers me right now. I just hate when it is 3rd and 22, and they find some cheap defensive holding to call with an automatic first down.