1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Soriano is signed through 2015, Byrd through 2012, and Colvin is under team control for a long time as well.

Brett Jackson should be ready soon, so how does he fit in?

No that DeWitt has 2B, we can't just move Soriano back there for the rest of the season (since we suck anyway), and we can't really bench him either.

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jackson has been playing RF more in the minors because the Cubs don't think he can stick in center. I would guess that if it was determined his was ML ready for next season the best move would be move Colvin to 1B.

Don't suggest Soriano to play second, remember when he was doing that for the Yankees? It was brutal.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs would have to trade Soriano and half his contract. But, they can trade Byrd for a good package as every team would like him, he plays the game from the heart and has a REASONABLE contract. Jackson can play CF, he played CF for the minors all-star game fo USA.

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs would have to trade Soriano and half his contract. But, they can trade Byrd for a good package as every team would like him, he plays the game from the heart and has a REASONABLE contract. Jackson can play CF, he played CF for the minors all-star game fo USA.

He's moved around since the futures game. He still plays center some, but not all the time. The Cubs don't think he gets good reads off the bat playing center, even though he does have the speed and athletic ability of most center fielders.

This article from Wrigley Bound does a good job of describing that situation.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jackson has been playing RF more in the minors because the Cubs don't think he can stick in center. I would guess that if it was determined his was ML ready for next season the best move would be move Colvin to 1B.

Don't suggest Soriano to play second, remember when he was doing that for the Yankees? It was brutal.
Colvin isn't moving to 1st. Also DeWitt isn't the future at 2nd.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Colvin sucks. He is a 4th OFer, make him that. But BJax won't be ready till 2012 at the EARLIEST.

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Colvin sucks. He is a 4th OFer, make him that. But BJax won't be ready till 2012 at the EARLIEST.

Idk that sucks is the right word for Colvin. He's a good power hitter who doesn't have the plate discipline to play everyday.

The Rick Ankiel comp I've seen a number of places fits perfectly IMO. Colvin can play all 3 OF positions, hit for a lot of power, and if used properly can really help a playoff caliber team.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Idk that sucks is the right word for Colvin. He's a good power hitter who doesn't have the plate discipline to play everyday.

The Rick Ankiel comp I've seen a number of places fits perfectly IMO. Colvin can play all 3 OF positions, hit for a lot of power, and if used properly can really help a playoff caliber team.

that's the issue

he can hit alot of HR and plays good D but he chases an abnormaly large amount of pitches thus he has fallen down to earth from his hot start: BA OBP and OPS have gone down in the last month or two

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
once colvin learns to lay off those low and away breaking pitches, he'll be a stud. he's got the power, eye, and bat speed to do some damage. i think he's the RF of the future.

as far as jackson goes, i don't see how rushing him up would do any good. i'd wait until fonzie's contract is to a point that it can be traded, or if byrd is not resigned. jackson would make a great left fielder, imo, but that's not to say he couldn't play center.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I think Colvin will improve in every stat.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
once colvin learns to lay off those low and away breaking pitches, he'll be a stud. he's got the power, eye, and bat speed to do some damage. i think he's the RF of the future.

as far as jackson goes, i don't see how rushing him up would do any good. i'd wait until fonzie's contract is to a point that it can be traded, or if byrd is not resigned. jackson would make a great left fielder, imo, but that's not to say he couldn't play center.

A good eye?!?! He walked at 5.6% in the minors. He's done better this year, against RHP at least.

As for Jackson, he will end up in RF, mark my words. Colvin is a 4th OFer for this team, not the RFer of the future.

Yeah I think Colvin will improve in every stat.

Care to elaborate? I mean he has a LD% of 15.6 in the minors and he's got a LD% of 17.7 in the majors... that will likely go down. He is King at about 30% and doesn't have enough power or a good enough eye to be able to be a good player with that high of a K rate, a la Mark Reynolds and Adam Dunn. In the minors he slugged .461. This year he is slugging .535, that is likely to go down considerably. He also has an ISO of .277 this year. He can't keep it that high. While I am using minor league numbers here, he is playing out of his shoes. He won't keep this up. He can't.

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Care to elaborate? I mean he has a LD% of 15.6 in the minors and he's got a LD% of 17.7 in the majors... that will likely go down. He is King at about 30% and doesn't have enough power or a good enough eye to be able to be a good player with that high of a K rate, a la Mark Reynolds and Adam Dunn. In the minors he slugged .461. This year he is slugging .535, that is likely to go down considerably. He also has an ISO of .277 this year. He can't keep it that high. While I am using minor league numbers here, he is playing out of his shoes. He won't keep this up. He can't.

Allow me to play devil's advocate here. Would Colvin be the first guy to "figure it out" and take off? He added that muscle weight this offseason, and from Spring Training on he has been posting power numbers at a rate he had never reached before.

Could it be that he has become a free swinging power hitter instead of a free swinging hitter? I don't know if his SLG% can stay in the .490-.510 range each season, but if it does he will stick in the majors for a few years and probably be able to start on an average team.

If he could play CF on a daily basis, which I'm guessing he can't, then he would be starting for a team somewhere.

Even if he ends up being a RF or 1B I think the Cubs let him start somewhere next season. That will be the test of his long-term ability.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I was meaning, plate discipline, taking more walks, more steals, average will go up. I think HR and rbi will have to go up as he will get the regular playing time.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was meaning, plate discipline, taking more walks, more steals, average will go up. I think HR and rbi will have to go up as he will get the regular playing time.

He's walking a lot more now than in the minors... I don't think he will walk even MORE.

Steals? I don't give a shit about. Average... use a real stat, like BABIP. HR? Doubt it. Maybe more, but right now he has a 25% HR/FB ratio. RBI? Really? It all depends on where he hits in the lineup. Use real stats.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I don't see why you are so sure Colvin will never be a good starter in the future. Young players are barely ever disciplined at the plate, as they age they tend to get better plate discipline.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm a big fan of steals, it makes scoring opportunites.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
We will probably see a glimpse of Jackson in September, but...

Jackson only fits into an opening day 2011 Cubs squad that consists of Colvin transitioning to 1st base to play the spot vacated by Lee. If the Cubs sign a 1st basemen in FA, we won't see Brett Jackson until Fukudome is gone via trade OR until the 40 man expansion in September 2011.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
This September is probably his audition for next year. It should help the Cubs decide if they want to move Colvin or sign a 1B.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs have said, they won't call-up Jackson. That's from a report.