Why other Chicago sports fans should care about this.

Chi-Town Hammer

The Baron of Pilsen
Liked Posts:
Not many Chicago sports fans know that the Chicago Fire Soccer Club uniform has it's ties directly with Chicago and it's citizens.

Here is a brief description of what our uniform entails...

The official club colors are red and white. Over its history, the Fire have also employed navy blue, sky blue, and black as alternate colors.

The Chicago Fire logo is derived from the standard shape of a fire department's crest, also known as a Florian's cross. This style was chosen by the original general manager, Peter Wilt, to establish a timeless image evocative of both classic American sports and the traditions of European soccer.

The logo features a stylized 'C' at its heart (representing Chicago), similar to the logos of the Bears and Cubs. The six points in a ring around the center allude to the six-pointed stars in the Municipal Flag of Chicago, specifically the star commemorating the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.

For those who do not know the four stars on the municipal flag of Chicago are as followed. from left to right. Fort Dearborn Massacre, Great Chicago Fire of 1871, World's Columbian Exposition 1893 and Century of Progress of 1933. Each of the six points on each star actually have meaning as well. If you want to know what they are. Google it. ;)

Nike, the Fire's original equipment supplier, intended for the team to be named the Chicago Rhythm. The Rhythm identity featured a turquoise, black and green color scheme, and a logo adorned with a cobra.

Team officials ignored Nike's work, and privately developed the Fire identity with the help of Adrenalin, Inc., a well known sports-specific branding agency.[8]

The original Fire shirts were chosen because of their resemblance to a Chicago fireman's coat, featuring broad horizontal stripes across the torso and sleeves. Also the stripe can be seen on most Fire engine trucks.
fire.jpg

77940432_9Sys3-S.jpg

red_black.jpg

In the first year, the home jersey was red and white with a silver "FIRE" on the stripe; while the away shirts were white and black in the same style. The jersey has remained remarkably constant ever since, continually maintaining the same format of an all-red shirt with a white horizontal chest stripe, even though changes in equipment sponsor (from Nike, to Puma, and currently adidas). Conversely, the Fire's secondary shirts have changed much over the years from white with black, to white with navy, to white with red, and the all-white style currently used. Third shirts have often been yellow (for the CHicago Sting, later for the partnership with Morelia. A popular light blue third shirt was worn in 2005, based on the Municipal Flag of Chicago.

As of right now, the current away jersey does not have the stripe across the chest. Why should we care about this? That stripe pays homage to the firefighters of this city. Why adidas decided to do away with it has us baffled. We are in the works to let adidas know we are not happy with the decision.

Here is their email...
consumer.relations@adidas.com

Here is their mailing address...
adidas USA
Customer Service
5055 N Greeley Ave.
Portland, OR 97217
USA

Please help us write to adidas to bring that stripe back. Thank you

now tell me wouldnt you buy one of the away jersey. ;)
firecopy.jpg

Chi-Fire

#1 Fire Fan
Liked Posts:
the fire should add a 3rd jersey it should be yellow like they used to be or black

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
:clap:

More and more Chicago sports fans will be picking up MLS in the coming years. MLS really should be officially a Major Sports League, and it is starting to get that recognition.

It is just as popular overall as the NHL now, though the Blackhawks hold an advantage over the Fire in Chicago for obvious reasons (Stanley Cup :) ), and many fans in the North have yet to embrace it. But MLS is very popular in the South and other places too. LA has no football... so the Galaxy get a good draw (and probably the Chivas too), and Seattle has no hockey...

Fire have a great fanbase too, but for different reasons. Chicago has a high population, so there are naturally more fans of every sport.

I can't wait until the day the MLS being a major league is disputed by no-one. The only arguments for it not being major I can see are that there are better leagues in other countries, which really doesn't matter at all, and it doesn't have 30 or 32 teams like the other 4 major leagues, but the MLS is the only one actually expanding, and it is expanding rapidly. :)

Next step for MLS... admit the Cosmos to the league... they want to be in the league, they have connections, they play in New York, and it will make a good rivalry with the Red Bulls. :)

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
That didnt convince me as to why I should care. If its about the jersey, the only ones that this issue would really matter to is the fans themselves. Much the same can be said to a Bears fan, or Cubs/Sox fan, etc. Now the historical aspect is intriguing and great, but again, if a person aint a fan, they could care less if they wore a dress. If anything, they should care more to support the Fire because for us natives, its our team. And its for that aspect that Im a Fire fan, regardless of team knowledge.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
That didnt convince me as to why I should care. If its about the jersey, the only ones that this issue would really matter to is the fans themselves. Much the same can be said to a Bears fan, or Cubs/Sox fan, etc. Now the historical aspect is intriguing and great, but again, if a person aint a fan, they could care less if they wore a dress. If anything, they should care more to support the Fire because for us natives, its our team. And its for that aspect that Im a Fire fan, regardless of team knowledge.

It's always worth a try to follow.

I tried to follow the Bulls, but I couldn't really do it. :shrug:

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's always worth a try to follow. I tried to follow the Bulls, but I couldn't really do it. :shrug:
I hear ya. I only pay attention to Da Bears, but I keep an eye out on the standings for our other teams.