Why the White Sox won't catch Minnesota

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
"You root with your heart, but always bet with your wallet."

I love the White Sox. Always have, hopefully always will. I thoroughly enjoyed their summer play up until the All Star Break. It was a fantastic run and once again, the White Sox proved to me that they can take down anything that they would face in the World Series if they made it.

That said, the White Sox are done. Been done since the road Orioles series, but I would say they got toe tagged the weekend when they played the Royals in Mid-August.

I love it that the White Sox are still trying. I don't want them to just quit, and realistically we don't have a bunch of minor leaguers to bring up and see if they can start their 2011 audition early. Getting Manny Ramirez, albeit a bit late, is a great move. But it's not the hitting that the White Sox have needed these past two or so weeks. It's pitching.

Unless Manny is going to impersonate the greatest athlete of all time - Babe Ruth (No offense, Mr. Thrope and Mr. Brown) - then, the White Sox still are missing out on pitching.

Floyd and Danks are solid. Buerhle is too up and down and Garcia is out of gas. Edwin Jackson is a pleasant surprise that shouldn't have been. He also benefits from the schedule he personally faces down the stretch.

But the pitching has been decimated with injuries and workload. And the one to blame for this really lies at Kenny Williams feet. He's not taken the steps to get deals done to solidfy the team.

He messed up a three team trade in July, then didn't follow the team's performance to see that the KC series called for Kenny to find a reliever or three. We put a claim in for Manny, but no claim on Fuentes who could have assumed the closer role. A month ago we could have had Capps too, but were not to be found in the discussions.

Sox fans can clamor that we have Thorton and Putz coming back from injury this week and next respectfully, but the Twins are getting back Morneau. The race may not statistically be over, but it's done.

I appreciate the job Kenny Williams has done for the White Sox, but his time has come. I welcome in the Rick Hahn era.

Thank you White Sox for all you've given us this year. Can't wait to see what happens this off-season

Crooked Vulture

Liked Posts:
You said a mouthful and I hope you are wrong. Williams has won and lost deals. Manny brings excitement and a chance to beat Minnie. When Jenks went REAL sour, Putz and Thornton failed and got hurt, but Williams tried to assemble a staff early on, misused by Ozzie! I was surprised that Capps then Fuentes were not claimed-dealt for. In Linebrink we trust LOL

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Yes we won't catch them but atleast we're going down with a fight

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Ozzie continually bunting and stealing in stupid situations with personnel not adept at the task at hand will probably also play a role.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again, the better team is in 1st place.

Sox fans need to take the homer glasses off & realize this.

stormbolter73

Liked Posts:
Not being a Sox fan, i'm envious of the teams position. I don't think they'll catch the Twins but atleast you guys get to have the conversation. My Royals havn't sniffed the playoffs in years and I don't see that changing in the near future. SO I guess what I am trying to say is enjoy it regardless of the outcome.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Again, the better team is in 1st place.

Sox fans need to take the homer glasses off & realize this.

haters_gonna_hate.gif
[/IMG]

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I still think the Sox have a better starting pitching staff, and that will keep them in it down the stretch. If the bullpen stops blowing games, I think the Sox will figure it out.

I've always been more of an optimist, though.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still think the Sox have a better starting pitching staff, and that will keep them in it down the stretch. If the bullpen stops blowing games, I think the Sox will figure it out.

I've always been more of an optimist, though.

3.5 games back is not a huge gap.

the problem is the schedule comparison is just brutal

but the twins losing baker, and having to use starters in an extra inning game doesnt help them.

we can get back in this race and atleast make it interesting down to the wire.