Will Cubs convention turn into a riot

erwiggins123

Liked Posts:
A lot of Cubs fans are righteously pissed that the Cubs haven't signed anyone to this point even though if they start the season without a real closer they are fucked. The Cubs convention is coming up Dec 18-20. How many people are going to be chewing Theo Epstein and Tom Ricketts for playing fraud like the Cubs have no money to spend. I don't think it's Theo's fault. But his past few years free agent signings haven't exactly worked out. Heyward 8 years $181M, Chatwood 3 years $48M, Morrow, and Darvish 6 years over $100M. Now you can't really blame him for Morrow and Darvish. Both guys are total pussies who don't know how to play through a little pain. Darvish will be the key to this season. If he comes out throwing fire and has a year like the 4 or 5 he has in Texas then the Cubs will dominate. But everything they say about Bryce Harper is total bullshit. We don't have any money is such crap that it can't be true. The Ricketts have turned Wrigley Field into an ATM. So what will the convention look like when all the rest of the NL Central got better through free agency and trades and the Cubs have stood pat?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Very good explanation on why Theo should not sign anybody since he has pretty much under achieved on all his signings other than Zobrist. Lester was not even the best pitcher his first year here, you can argue first two when both Jake and Hendricks were better. Remember his big free agent signing in Boston? JD Drew. Also hugely under achieved.

What does he do this year but go out and sign another second baseman since apparently, Baez, Zobrist, Bote and Happ are not enough, while your best guy in development Nico will also be playing there.

Theo needs to build teams, win a world series, then walk away.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Would I like him to sign Harper and a quality end of pen arm?

Sure

But it not like their going into 2019 with a bunch of no name bench guys starting everywhere..

They basically have the same team that won a WS a couple years ago..
And they potentially have a better starting rotation in place

So, yeah there alot of question marks with a couple position players and whether or not they will hit better then they did last year, but after thinking about it, I think 2019 could either be a pretty good year for the cubs and we see guys like Contreras, Schwarber, etc. become solid players or we find out that their not as good as we hoped and Theo makes those changes next off season...

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
What the fuck are you people smoking? Jon Lester has literally been one of the best FA signings in Chicago history,in any sport. The only other case to be made is for Hossa.

This forum sometimes...

erwiggins123

Liked Posts:

Sure

But it not like their going into 2019 with a bunch of no name bench guys starting everywhere..

So, yeah there alot of question marks with a couple position players and whether or not they will hit better then they did last year, but after thinking about it, I think 2019 could either be a pretty good year for the cubs and we see guys like Contreras, Schwarber, etc. become solid players or we find out that their not as good as we hoped and Theo makes those changes next off season...

Guys I just went through our entire lineup as it probably will be because Bryce is either going to sign with the Phillies or the Cubs because u guys remember they had a 3 hour meeting at the winter meetings and said call us before u sign anything then Ricketts either green lights it or douching it.

We will see.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
What the fuck are you people smoking? Jon Lester has literally been one of the best FA signings in Chicago history,in any sport. The only other case to be made is for Hossa.

This forum sometimes...

True. But you can't argue that most or all of the other big money signings have failed to meet expectations thus far.

erwiggins123

Liked Posts:

Sure

Bro,

Why do so few of u get it. If we get Harper that makes us unbeatable, But if not I took a look at all the career stats of our very young group of core players and hell yes our rotation is better than it was in 2016. I just hope they get some good work from the minor league guys who everyone says is ready. But if u look at their stats up to and including 2018, Almora OPS .700 Bryant (in 4 years) OPS .900, Rizzo OPS .860, Baez (in 4 years) OPS .860, Schwarber OPS .850,Contreras OPS .750. Descalso OPS .700, Heyward OPS .730. We have a great young core of bomber where give them the right coaching and I think they eat people alive. The will be bombing HR's not that they're focus on launch angle with Iopace. Were going the World Series unless we seriously screw up. The best team almost always wins in a 7 game series. We have the best team in the NL. We might have some issues with the Yankees but we'll deal with that when we come to it.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
True. But you can't argue that most or all of the other big money signings have failed to meet expectations thus far.

You're really only talking about three signings: Lester, Heyward, and Darvish. He hit the lottery on Lester, Heyward has been bad, and Darvish is an incomplete. That's not enough of a sample size to make any kind of judgment from.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Bro,

Why do so few of u get it. If we get Harper that makes us unbeatable, But if not I took a look at all the career stats of our very young group of core players and hell yes our rotation is better than it was in 2016. I just hope they get some good work from the minor league guys who everyone says is ready. But if u look at their stats up to and including 2018, Almora OPS .700 Bryant (in 4 years) OPS .900, Rizzo OPS .860, Baez (in 4 years) OPS .860, Schwarber OPS .850,Contreras OPS .750. Descalso OPS .700, Heyward OPS .730. We have a great young core of bomber where give them the right coaching and I think they eat people alive. The will be bombing HR's not that they're focus on launch angle with Iopace. Were going the World Series unless we seriously screw up. The best team almost always wins in a 7 game series. We have the best team in the NL. We might have some issues with the Yankees but we'll deal with that when we come to it.

The Cubs, if they signed Harper, could conceivably put out a line up with the following OBP using either the career of low guessitmation for players with just a few years time. I wouldn't say it's the best defensively, but it would get lots of PAs.

2B Zobrist - .357
3B Bryant - .385
RF Harper - .388
SS Baez - .320
1B Rizzo - .369
C Contreras - .349
LF - Schwarber - .339
CF Happ - .341

That could be sick or sickening.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah Cubs fans are going to riot at a meaningless convention about a team with a World Series roster not signing anyone. This isn't Vancouver.

erwiggins123

Liked Posts:
The Cubs, if they signed Harper, could conceivably put out a line up with the following OBP using either the career of low guessitmation for players with just a few years time. I wouldn't say it's the best defensively, but it would get lots of PAs.

2B Zobrist - .357
3B Bryant - .385
RF Harper - .388
SS Baez - .320
1B Rizzo - .369
C Contreras - .349
LF - Schwarber - .339
CF Happ - .341

That could be sick or sickening.

It would be sick. Bryce Harper is no Albert Pujols who u sign a 10 year deal with and by year 5 you're questioning your sanity. He's 26 which means we get him until he's 36. But if u look at the OPS of the Cubs player (and Harper) almost every one with the exception of Heyward and Descalso have an OPS over .800. Bryant and Harper have an OPS over .900. I really hope we snag him from the Philles when they call Theo and say this is our offer and Theo adds a year and opt outs and other shit these guys love in contracts and we got him. The Cubs take in almost $700M a year in revenue and that number is sure to go up when they get their own TV station and make more improvements to the area right around Wrigley. I went to a playoff game in 2016 and I didn't even recognize the place, in a good way. Ricketts has done some great things for this team, now we need him to pull the trigger on a deal with Harper.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Cubs fans will riot over someone cutting the autograph line before they will not signing Harper/Machado.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Bro,

I doubt the Yanks are the class act. Astroes are better. Red Sox are there also.

NL I believe the power rankings are LAD then Nat's. Then it gets clustered with CHC, Mil, NYM. Next tier is PHI, STL and Atl.

So sure either Harper or Manny would take any tier 2 and push them into tier 1 of their league.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They keep saying there a big announcement coming at the convention this weekend...

Guessing it the tv deal

erwiggins123

Liked Posts:
Very good explanation on why Theo should not sign anybody since he has pretty much under achieved on all his signings other than Zobrist. Lester was not even the best pitcher his first year here, you can argue first two when both Jake and Hendricks were better. Remember his big free agent signing in Boston? JD Drew. Also hugely under achieved.

What does he do this year but go out and sign another second baseman since apparently, Baez, Zobrist, Bote and Happ are not enough, while your best guy in development Nico will also be playing there.

Theo needs to build teams, win a world series, then walk away.

Don't forger the bad trades he has made, specifically Eloy Jiminez and Dylan Cease for Jose Qunitana. Screw Byrce Harper. I'd rather have Jiminez. The guy has one of the best swings in the game. He hit .355 in Triple-A. If we still had him we win the World Series for sure. I still think if the guys we have play to their potential we have a great shot at it but could you imagine Jiminez hitting cleanup for the Cubs? This trade was stupid. I hope that Theo starts doing again what he does best; build a great farm system because the next Eloy is out there. The Cubs have the best scouting and development staff in the league and we have the best man to build a winning team; Theo Epstein. Maybe we should let someone else handle free agency and have Theo focus on player development. Remember he built the Cubs from shit in 2012 to a juggernaut in 2015 and beyond. I think that last year was an abberation. Bryant was injured, Yu Darvish barely pitched, Chatwood couldnt't find the strike zone. If we get these 3 guys going to their potential the Cubs are going to be hard to beat. John Smoltz said the exact same thing on the MLB network. He said when a team wins 95 games with all those injuries and setbacks, the next year they probably win over 100 and compete for the World Series.