Will Cutler be the starter next year?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Sorry to bring this up. But Cutler will still be the starter next year. I don't see any other way this plays out. Cutty will start and be pushed by a rookie. Cutler responds well to pressure and holds the youngster off. Cutler has 2 or 3 good years left. I am not a Cutty hater but I am so tired of talking about him, that I'm looking forward to moving on. But we won't be. Cutty will be here 2 or 3 more years. I believe Cutler will put together his best years here at the end. With a Oline and run game and a defense plus keeping the same OC Cutty will become a winner in the end. Eat this folks. Bears win SB with Cutty in the next 2 years and then he retires. Fell free to puke now.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
if they cant trade him then probubly. And as long as they draft his replacement then im fine with 1 more year of him..

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does Cutty restructure his contract? becaue I doubt he's here next year making 18mil or whatever per year

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't see why. Fox and Pace have already said they are done with him.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Its an interesting question. This is the last fully-guaranteed year of Cutler's deal, but thanks to Cliff Stein, the remaining years on Cutler's contract escalate upwards so that in 2020 a 37-year old Cutler is pulling in $21.7M. I don't even think the Bobby Bonilla deal was this bad.

Anyways, would you be willing to throw more guaranteed money at Cutler in an effort to lower his annual cap hit number? Like instead of him making $16M in 2017 with $2M guaranteed, go for $12M with $8M guaranteed?

That's an intriguing idea, but I doubt he goes for it. If we keep him on the roster and draft a rookie, then there is going to be a QB controversy all season as long as Jay is starting. If he did restructure though and we did draft a QB who can start, then if may be better to hold onto Cutler and attempt to trade him next season as opposed to just cutting him in the offseason.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its an interesting question. This is the last fully-guaranteed year of Cutler's deal, but thanks to Cliff Stein, the remaining years on Cutler's contract escalate upwards so that in 2020 a 37-year old Cutler is pulling in $21.7M. I don't even think the Bobby Bonilla deal was this bad.

Anyways, would you be willing to throw more guaranteed money at Cutler in an effort to lower his annual cap hit number? Like instead of him making $16M in 2017 with $2M guaranteed, go for $12M with $8M guaranteed?

interesting scenario...I think I would want the team to try to get Cutler to the 8M guarantee scenario. I don't think Cutler would accept it, but that's what I'd want

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
It all depends on how comfortable the Bears are with this year's draft class. If Pace thinks there's more than one QB of the future and that the Bears will have a chance then Cutler is gone.

He won't be rid of Cutler just for the sake of it.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:

Hey, both can be right!

Cutler WILL be the starter next year... for someone OTHER than the BEARS.

Woods

Chicago Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
Before this year started I thought he would be. Not so much anymore. I dont see it.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:

Pfft. The deal isn't horrible at all because none of it is guaranteed. And the DUMBEST thing we could actually do is give Jay more guaranteed $$$. Or are you encouraging that because you WANT active sabotage?

Jay having 3 years but no guaranteed $$$ is what makes Cutler tradeable - any team can grab him, and if he performs, his deal is actually CHEAP in the current QB market, and if for any reason they don't like him, the team can cut him at NO COST to them, other than what they already paid. It's the perfect low risk, high reward.

Why the fuck would I restructure if I were the Bears? Or you still trying to sell that Ryan Pace is as dumb as Phil Emery?

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You realize if they restructure his contract that they lower his 2017 number but increase his deferred money in 2018 and beyond. Would not be a wise thing to do if they were only going to keep him 1 more year. If they keep him around they need to pay as they go and not charge that Cutler credit card or they will be facing a significant cap hit when they ultimately release him.

Also it would be more appealing to a potential trade partner if they had the ability to restructure his contract. It could add a couple teams to the Cutler sweepstakes if it went that way depending on how he finishes this season.

Last edited:

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Does Cutty restructure his contract? becaue I doubt he's here next year making 18mil or whatever per year

I think his Cap in 2017 is going to acount for 16mil, if cut we would save 14mil.. which isnt that much... cutting Massie saves 5.05Mil, cutting Houston saves 5.01Mil and cutting Royal save 5mil. That is an extra 15 mil in addition to the expected 50Mil projected for a total of 65Mil.

So, with 65Mil in cap to spend what FA do you want to sign? Stephon Gilmore, Dre Kirkpatrick, and Riley Reiff would be my main targets after resigning Alshon, Kush, Acho, and Wilson.

Here is a link to 2017 FA tell me how are you spending this 65 MIL? Lets say resigning all the Bears FA takes up 18-20MIL and you save 5+MIL for the rookies.. So, that still around 40MIL to work with if you keep Jay..
Gilmore = 5MIL cap
Dre = 4MIL
Riley = 3MIL
Lets say 12-15MIL for those guys or 3 other Tackle/CB (our biggest need, other then QB which we will Draft in the 1st or 2nd)
25MIL let who do you want?
Or we cut Jay save 14 use the 4MIL on a guy like Geno or Case Keenum.. maybe we could get Ponder for 2MIL.. so we net an extra 10MIL bringing us to 35MIL ... But still who is out there?? no big name really... Von Miller and Trumaine Johnson are not leaving

proton

Liked Posts:
Assuming they draft the QB of the future I would be fine with that.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I wouldn't give Cutler a penny more in guaranteed money. The contract now is in the Bears' favor. If he miraculously turns it around and plays like a franchise QB consistently, you keep him (and still draft a young QB) as long as he's worth the money. If he doesn't, you let Hoyer play until the kid is ready to go. I don't see any reason to offer more guaranteed money to a QB who has spent a decade proving he isn't worth long term investment.

Pfft. The deal isn't horrible at all because none of it is guaranteed. And the DUMBEST thing we could actually do is give Jay more guaranteed $$$. Or are you encouraging that because you WANT active sabotage?

Jay having 3 years but no guaranteed $$$ is what makes Cutler tradeable - any team can grab him, and if he performs, his deal is actually CHEAP in the current QB market, and if for any reason they don't like him, the team can cut him at NO COST to them, other than what they already paid. It's the perfect low risk, high reward.

Why the fuck would I restructure if I were the Bears? Or you still trying to sell that Ryan Pace is as dumb as Phil Emery?

Precisely this ^

Cutler still has 4 years left on his deal, with the final two years being upwards of $20M/yr. How long do you think the Bears would be keeping Cutler around? My guess would be maybe 1 more year, 2 years max. And if that is the case, and you are planning on keeping Cutler anyways, then it would make sense to lower his annual salary, decrease the length of the contract (void the last 2-3 years), and increase his guaranteed money. I'm not sure what the Bears are 'losing' by doing this.

I want them to keep the flexibility of being able to release him at any time with no hit.

Last edited:

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Absolutely not. Personally, I think there is like a 10% chance he's even on this roster come June. I think his release wont come until after they select a QB in the 1st round in the draft...but it will come shorlty after and they will roll with Hoyer and the rookie next year, hoping the rookie can beat him out in camp to be the starter week 1.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Have they?? I haven't seen or heard anything from them saying that. I guess if you believe what you hear from reporters then you'll believe it but i don't.