Will the Sox win the division?

Lefty

Liked Posts:
With Thome, there is no way this team is 8.5 back at the start of interleague. They were 8-7 in 1-run games alone up to that point, and with Thome (instead of Kotsay at the DH) we could reasonably expect to have been 10-5 or better in 1-run games up to that point. With that, they're 4.5, maybe 5.5 back at the start of interleague, and then we're looking at a whole new divisional makeup coming out of the ASB, with the Sox soaring ahead of the sputtering Twins and keeping a good lead over the Tigers.

It's simple, the Sox would be a much better team (in terms of where they are in the division and by how much they lead) would Thome have been on the squad from day one. We can thank Ozzie for his blustering about being old and slow in favor of fast and bad for that.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
And you're all forgetting to mention that Jim Thome is the best person to ever play professional sports.

hsvj60

Liked Posts:
Their is a difference between PK/Thome slow and Q-tip slow and I personally think slow is not bad if your the kind of power hitter like these guys if your in your late 20's when these guys get 30+ its time to look for other youngr power hitters. Dunn is better right now than Thome and I wouldn't mind him but we can't afford him after this season and we have to give up the whole kitchen nev er mind the kitchen sink to get him and its the same thing for Fresh Prince and A-Gon. But yes I do want younger power hitters for this team even if PK is having a monster year for him

GrinderBall41

Sox/B'Hawks/Bears/Purdue
Liked Posts:
Of course. Everybody wants young power hitters. That's why they are so hard to get your hands on.

Got teeth? Keith doesn't.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
Their is a difference between PK/Thome slow and Q-tip slow and I personally think slow is not bad if your the kind of power hitter like these guys if your in your late 20's when these guys get 30+ its time to look for other youngr power hitters. Dunn is better right now than Thome and I wouldn't mind him but we can't afford him after this season and we have to give up the whole kitchen nev er mind the kitchen sink to get him and its the same thing for Fresh Prince and A-Gon. But yes I do want younger power hitters for this team even if PK is having a monster year for him

Are you comparing Dunn to Fielder and Gonzalez?

:notfunny:

You're serious. Fielder and Gonzalez are going to command nearly twice as much in a trade. From what I've heard, Dunn can be had for two C+ to B- prospects.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Are you comparing Dunn to Fielder and Gonzalez?

:notfunny:

You're serious. Fielder and Gonzalez are going to command nearly twice as much in a trade. From what I've heard, Dunn can be had for two C+ to B- prospects.

That's just not true, the Nats' GM has gone on record saying it won't be cheap for other teams to pursue done, that he's going to make them "hurt" for it.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
That's just not true, the Nats' GM has gone on record saying it won't be cheap for other teams to pursue done, that he's going to make them "hurt" for it.
I read that on MLBTR, I believe.

Well someone said at another forum that Trout is rumored to be the centerpiece in a deal between the Angels/Nats for Dunn, and I just laughed at that.

Sure, he says it's going to hurt, but that doesn't mean that will happen. Wouldn't be the first time that a team settles on less than what they said they wanted in a trade.

hsvj60

Liked Posts:
you know if I had the money to sign anyone of the 3 and it was the off-season I would consider all 3 just about even in terms of help for tis team but if I had to rank them I wuold go
1. A Gon
2. Prince
3. Dunn

in terms of contract I think their numbers will show Dunn well below in terms of $$ but he does warrant a real nice check on Friday

hsvj60

Liked Posts:
if your asking whether they will cost differently in terms of compensation I don't think there will be a huge difference, no.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
you know if I had the money to sign anyone of the 3 and it was the off-season I would consider all 3 just about even in terms of help for tis team but if I had to rank them I wuold go
1. A Gon
2. Prince
3. Dunn

in terms of contract I think their numbers will show Dunn well below in terms of $$ but he does warrant a real nice check on Friday

if your asking whether they will cost differently in terms of compensation I don't think there will be a huge difference, no.

So we have a 26 year old 1B whose considered one of the best young bats in the majors. Then we have a 28 year old Gold Glove defender whose in the middle of his prime. Both of these players are thought of as possibly not even showing us their best possibly yet.

And then you think they are both as good as a soon to be 31 year old whose one of the worst defensive OF'ers and 1B in baseball whose likely not going to get any better.

Their WAR since 2007 (about 3.5 seasons):

Gonzalez: 17.1
Fielder: 17.4
Dunn: 8.3

Or in other words, Gonzalez is averaging about 4.9 WAR since 2007, Fielder is averaging 5 WAR, and Dunn just 2.4.

There is really no contest on whose the outlier here in terms of value. If the Angels talked to each team for those three players, Mike Trout, arguably the number one prospect in baseball, would be asked for in return for Gonzalez and Fielder as the centerpiece of the deal. If the Nats asked for Trout from the Angels for Dunn? They would hang up the phone.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
no way. thought there was a chance, but hell no

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
the only chance for us to get back in this is if we take care of baltimore and the twins have problems, which they could with the rangers who are a good team. slowey and mahay on the dl doesnt help the twins either.