Will we get dumped to NBA TV?

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Pez68" data-cid="196396" data-time="1368936672">
<div>

I suggest you do some research. Plenty of those questions have been answered. Again, why do people care if someone with cancer smokes weed to feel better? Alcohol is legal and I am sure everyone knows how dangerous that can be. So hypocritical.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

Post the medical literature then please.   I read medical journals and studies daily.   The retrospective diabetic study is the first one I've seen hit mainstream medical literature in a while.</p>

</p>

From the author who is supportive of medical pot -</p>

</p>

"And although there will continue to be debate regarding legislation and current medical use of cannabis, the real problem is that there "a dearth of scientific, pharmacologic, and clinical studies with this agent," he observes, pointing out that the majority of research that does exist looks at central nervous system effects of marijuana and potential addictive qualities."</p>

</p>

</p>

Since it's incredibly difficult to get research permission for medical studies with cannabis from the FDA there are not many out there.   Not well controlled, double blind placebo controlled comparative studies in any event.   The majority fall in the category or retrospective reviews.</p>

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's been a lot of peer-reviewed research on medical marijuana or its medical properties. What are you talking about? Quick google search and this page has collected 105 peer-reviewed articles on the subject http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000884 . And not all research is being done in the US.</p>

</p>

It's just a matter of time before it becomes a totally viable medical treatment to a number of different ailments. It's already clear it is worth studying further. And I am sure that it won't either take long before it's decriminalized/legalized and regulated.</p>

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have no problem with decriminalization as a recreational drug. States subverting the FDA process for medication approval is not a good idea.

So over the last @ 25 years all over the world there have been 105 studies. That's 4 or 5 a year per year world wide. Not impressive. Sounds like a "dearth" of research going on.</p>

jaxhawksfan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have to say I'm with Wino on this one.  Want to smoke pot for whatever reason? Go ahead and make it legal.  Don't hide behind some bullshit medical excuse.  Pot, whether or not you want to believe it, IS just as dangerous, if not more so to the human body than alcohol.  It may not affect others as alcohol has the potential to do, so in that respect I will agree that it is "safer" for the general public.  However, the damage you are doing to your own body is YOUR business, not that of the government.</p>

</p>

P.S. Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying it has no beneficial properties for some people with medical issues.  Too many people claim relief from something for me to believe it doesn't happen.  I'm saying 2 things:  Just because there are benefits, doesn't mean there aren't also risks (as with any form of medical treatments); Do what you want with your own body, get the government out of the business of telling you what you can do with it.</p>

R K

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="jaxhawksfan" data-cid="196473" data-time="1369018106">
<div>

Have to say I'm with Wino on this one.  Want to smoke pot for whatever reason? Go ahead and make it legal.  Don't hide behind some bullshit medical excuse.  Pot, whether or not you want to believe it, IS just as dangerous, if not more so to the human body than alcohol.  It may not affect others as alcohol has the potential to do, so in that respect I will agree that it is "safer" for the general public.  However, the damage you are doing to your own body is YOUR business, not that of the government.</p>

</p>

P.S. Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying it has no beneficial properties for some people with medical issues.  Too many people claim relief from something for me to believe it doesn't happen.  I'm saying 2 things:  Just because there are benefits, doesn't mean there aren't also risks (as with any form of medical treatments); Do what you want with your own body, get the government out of the business of telling you what you can do with it.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

I believe it should be legal, but also believe like EVERY drug it has a medical purpose.</p>

</p>

And like EVERY drug, there is plenty of both medical research and evidence out there, it does.  </p>

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
After browsing through those studies it just re-affirmed what the author of the Diabetic study I linked stated.   Most of those studies were as he lamented about (related to effects on the nervous system/CNS).</p>

</p>

I'm not sure I consider "The Journal of Therapeutic Cannabis" a neutral publication in regards to the peer review process.  It's no longer in publication so it's hard to find info regarding the "peer review process", it's editorial boards, funding, ect....</p>

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
So, if I am reading the responses right, most of the studies have been on the nervous system as a pain inhibitor? </p>

</p>

Ok, if it is, and these people going through chemo or with chronic(haha, thats funny), debilitating pain get relief from the psychotropic properties of marijuana, who shouldn't they be able to utilize it? </p>

</p>

Lemme redirect that question.......why shouldn't they be able to utilize it without fear of jail time, a criminal record, and the stigma of a drug abuser?</p>

</p>

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1383240/Boy-brain-cancer-cured-secretly-fed-medical-marijuana-father.html</p>

</p>

And lets not forget folks....there are other was of getting it in the body besides smoking it.</p>

</p>

I will not sit here either and say abuse of the medical marijuana laws don't happen. Of course they do. Same with Oxycontin, demerol, you name it. That shit is gonna happen, and it gives the true sufferer a black eye when that happens. There are some folks out there that marijuana works wonders.</p>

</p>

And call me a filthy hippie if you want, but I would rather take something that grows naturally and is made from the earth then something made from chemicals just basically discovered to man. How many times have you heard of a perscription drug being the next greatest thing and it turns out it is horrible and kills people? Phenfen for one. Wasn't there another one recently that people took for pain and it turns out it caused heart attacks and such?</p>

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Yeah, it's amazing to me how the FDA is the holy grail of what's good for you and what's not. Despite them approving COUNTLESS drugs that end up being taken off the market because the side effects are worse than the symptoms they treat.</p>

</p>

The FDA has failed to do their job for decades now. I really don't give a fuck what they approve or don't approve at this point. The FDA has been complicit in the United States substituting prescription drugs for healthy lifestyles and therapeutic treatment as long as I've been alive. Fuck the FDA. If the FDA isn't corrupt, they're incompetent. Take your pick.</p>

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We enjoy pharmaceutical miracles, breakthroughs in cancer treatment, treatment of connective tissue diseases, diabetes, heart disease, major improvements in medical devices with relative safety but the FDA is corrupt, incompetent?   Somebody give me a face palm.</p>

jaxhawksfan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe the FDA is corrupt.  When you have board members that have stock in pharm companies, food companies and have/will sit on the boards of seed companies like Monsanto, that is the ultimate form of insider trading.</p>

</p>

http://rense.com/general33/fd.htm</p>

</p>

Just one internet site of many describing the types of shady deals going on between companies and the government agencies.</p>

BigPete

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="jaxhawksfan" data-cid="196504" data-time="1369059542">
<div>

I believe the FDA is corrupt.  When you have board members that have stock in pharm companies, food companies and have/will sit on the boards of seed companies like Monsanto, that is the ultimate form of insider trading.</p>

</p>

http://rense.com/general33/fd.htm</p>

</p>

Just one internet site of many describing the types of shady deals going on between companies and the government agencies.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Welcome to the American form of governance.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Abbott</p>

CHPA</p>

Cephalon</p>

Endo</p>

King</p>

Pfizer</p>

</p>

All sponsors of Partnership for a Drug-Free America. But I guess not really a Drug Free one, just THEIR drugs instead. Just a fun fact there.</p>

</p>

Is Pot safe? No. It isnt. But there are some differences with booze in that it is impossible to over-dose on pot. In fact, there is not a documented case where pot was the sole cause of death to date. But safe? No drug is, legal or otherwise. There are always risks no question.</p>

</p>

But a large portion of known research about the brain and its functions can be attributed to the study of pot on the brain as well. But still not medicinal. I think that legal pot causes a large threat to a lot of organizations and businesses that have no connection to public health and safety.</p>

</p>

I also do not like the whole go medicine route. But I also understand it is a stepping stone.</p>

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There was a time when the FDA had a far stringent approval process. Then foreign companies and gov'ts were quickly approving "dream drugs" w/ less requirements and testing. People were up in arms that they could not get these "dream drugs" in the states. FDA was changed because people had to have poorly tested and regulated "dream drugs" to "correct" their ailments, damn the side effects.