Yoenis Cespedes Future Sox?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Scoremobil is reporting that he is deciding between the Orioles and the White Sox. It would be nice to land him cheaply. I think 6 years $120 million with an opt out clause and back load the contract would be a good signing.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I'd be on board with this move. Really between the trio of Upton, Cespedes, and Gordon, I'd be happy with any of the three.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
The White Sox are apparently unaware that the White Sox are supposed to suck again in 2016

would be a very nice pick up

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd prefer Upton but He does bring a needed power bat in the line-up.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd prefer Kate Upton

BTW Hawk my favorite scene of field of dreams is when Ray's daughter get hurt and the doctor give up his dream to save her lire

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd prefer Kate Upton

BTW Hawk my favorite scene of field of dreams is when Ray's daughter get hurt and the doctor give up his dream to save her lire

Yeah. That was a good one. May have been Lancaster's last acting role.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Also I think I like the idea of Alex Gordon because it'd strengthen the Sox and weaken a division rival.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Unless the Sox go and get their man, Gordon or Cespedes, preferrably Cespedes, I can't take them seriously.

I think Kenny Williams is a scurge that got lucky in 2005 that his eclectic pitching staff started firing on all cylinders, and Joe Clutch Crede went nuts for a couple post-seasons before his body fell to pieces.

What else has Kenny done to deserve a GM job? Beurle, Garland, the 45 year old false birth certificate cuban Yankee dude,

I'm not saying it wasn't a good job putting that staff together....but lets be honest they just all happened to get infuego at the right time and most of that staff quickly fell apart for different reasons. Age, injury, league catching up to the younger guys. It was a perfect storm Kenny had little to do with other than taking a chance on some cheap values.

Reinsdorf is so hard to take serious. I avoid this forum and discussion just mostly out of sadness and 36 years of futility with one lucky post season run.

Kenny Williams isn't enough for me.

You go get me Cespedes and my eyes will open. Thats a winning move on a proven high metric player who can carry your team. The A's were phenomenal with him in the lineup, crashed without. The Mets get him and go on a historic tear.

Thats 3 teams though that don't want him, so does anybody know what the locker room issues are? Cocaine? Ass hole? Its possible the A's and Mets are cheap, and he didn't fit well or was just in a funk for the one Detroit team. I'll consider that, but his talent is winning talent you pay a premium for if you want to win.

Gordon would be a serious prize as well without potential baggage, I can't answer what inside sources say about Cespedes, I just know he can rake and is a hall of fame talent, he can carry you and would murder our ball park come July heat wave.

Upton I don't want to pay for to pry away, but I think he would fit in here as well as Jermaine Dye did.

I suspect Kenny is finally under the gun, by his desperate moves to improve the infield. Reinsdorph has to open the purse or the Sox will continue to fail to get over the hump. We are so close that its criminal not to add that outfielder we need, fuck...if you were actually serious you would get Gordon AND Cespedes and say abra cadabra bitches we have a top lineup.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
I couldn't agree with you more, Rask.

The Sox offense is beyond awful and they desperately need a power bat in that lineup. Signing Cespedes should be a no-brainer, but money seems to always be an obstacle to any substantial improvement for Chicago based teams.

You're also right about needing Cespedes AND Gordon, but we both know that ain't happening. If I had to chose one though, I'd go with Cespedes because of the power and the fact that Gordon would cost us a compensatory draft pick. But really, there is zero chance of winning anything with Garcia and Cabrera comprising 2/3s of your starting outfield. The Sox need to put up or shut up about wanting to contend. Trade Sale, Quintana and Abreu and hibernate for 6 years like the Cubs and Astros did.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think Kenny Williams is a scurge that got lucky in 2005 that his eclectic pitching staff started firing on all cylinders, and Joe Clutch Crede went nuts for a couple post-seasons before his body fell to pieces.

Going wire to wire as one of the greatest teams to ever suit up for a season is more than luck.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I couldn't agree with you more, Rask.

The Sox offense is beyond awful and they desperately need a power bat in that lineup. Signing Cespedes should be a no-brainer, but money seems to always be an obstacle to any substantial improvement for Chicago based teams.

You're also right about needing Cespedes AND Gordon, but we both know that ain't happening. If I had to chose one though, I'd go with Cespedes because of the power and the fact that Gordon would cost us a compensatory draft pick. But really, there is zero chance of winning anything with Garcia and Cabrera comprising 2/3s of your starting outfield. The Sox need to put up or shut up about wanting to contend. Trade Sale, Quintana and Abreu and hibernate for 6 years like the Cubs and Astros did.

They won't do what the Cubs did because Sox fans would not support a crap team like the Cub fans did. THe Sox only draw when their team is competitive unlike the mindless trogs that go to Wrigley like lemmings to a drop zone. I think that they are close to competing this year if they get one of the players mentioned in this thread and I think it will be the Cuban factor playing into it. I also wouldn't be surprised if they re-signed Alexi and had Saladino be a super sub for the infield.

I don't like our catching and if they can trade Danks and find a better number 5 starter, this team certainly can compete with anyone.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
If they give both guys opt outs at say 3 and 4 that allows both of them to be FA after three years. That is enticing.

Yep, that's the best option for the club.

If you're a 30+ year old outfielder however, father time is not on your side. You should be looking for your last big contract with guaranteed money.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
They won't do what the Cubs did because Sox fans would not support a crap team like the Cub fans did. THe Sox only draw when their team is competitive unlike the mindless trogs that go to Wrigley like lemmings to a drop zone. I think that they are close to competing this year if they get one of the players mentioned in this thread and I think it will be the Cuban factor playing into it. I also wouldn't be surprised if they re-signed Alexi and had Saladino be a super sub for the infield.

I don't like our catching and if they can trade Danks and find a better number 5 starter, this team certainly can compete with anyone.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic about rebuilding. That's not a good option with two MVP caliber players on a roster that's a few players away from contending. The front office is committed, they just need that billionaire owner to step up and stop stressing over a measly 20 million dollars.

About your other points:

Danks is a hopeless situation. They might as well stick him in the pen and be done with it. \

Catchers... meh. With only a few exceptions, all catchers are a dime a dozen. About 98% of catchers in the mlb have sub .250 batting averages. Atleast the Sox signed a few guys with some pop in their bats. Both are capable of hitting atleast 10 or 15 dingers, which is about all you're going to get anyway. Catchers don't really matter cuz they're all the same.

Lastly, the Sox had the worst run production in the AL last year. None of the outfielders hit more than 14 hrs all year long. Pitching wasn't the problem.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I was being sarcastic about rebuilding. That's not a good option with two MVP caliber players on a roster that's a few players away from contending. The front office is committed, they just need that billionaire owner to step up and stop stressing over a measly 20 million dollars.

About your other points:

Danks is a hopeless situation. They might as well stick him in the pen and be done with it. \

Catchers... meh. With only a few exceptions, all catchers are a dime a dozen. About 98% of catchers in the mlb have sub .250 batting averages. Atleast the Sox signed a few guys with some pop in their bats. Both are capable of hitting atleast 10 or 15 dingers, which is about all you're going to get anyway. Catchers don't really matter cuz they're all the same.

Lastly, the Sox had the worst run production in the AL last year. None of the outfielders hit more than 14 hrs all year long. Pitching wasn't the problem.
One of my main issues with Williams is Danks and his brother were hopeless situations when they got here, and that they kept peddling him out every spring like he was a #2 or 3. He has and always had the flattest straight change up I have ever seen. How many years can we cringe and cross our fingers and just wait for it to get murdered out of any and every park. He has no stuff.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
One of my main issues with Williams is Danks and his brother were hopeless situations when they got here, and that they kept peddling him out every spring like he was a #2 or 3. He has and always had the flattest straight change up I have ever seen. How many years can we cringe and cross our fingers and just wait for it to get murdered out of any and every park. He has no stuff.

He never recovered as a pitcher from the injury

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He never recovered as a pitcher from the injury

Truth is that I don't ever remember he having better than average stuff. What he should have done is to work with Buerhle the witch and get movement and location for his pitches. I was/am a HUGE fan of Mark B. and would love to have him back.