Your Final Decision on Howard

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Your Final Decision on Howard

You're sitting with Pace and Nagy, they ask you for your final decision on what you think we should do with Jordan Howard and the RB roster, going into this off season, on through the 2019 season, and beyond. What's the plan you recommend?

- Keep him -- for what purposes? -- walk/re-sign 2020?

- Replace Howard with what or who?
- What's his trade value? -- What's the minimum draft round value?

- What's your RB roster plan for 2019?

If you're interested, here's a 1/11/19 roundtable discussion on this issue: https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...l-draft-matt-nagy-wcg-round-table-tarik-cohen

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sign hunt. If you can't get a 4th or 5th (or better obviously) then just keep him.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Nagy had figured out how to use Howard in a few games, he is a good player for us. Yes, we have an opportunity to get Hunt, who would be better for us. Hunt would make Howard expendable, but it wouldn't be bad to keep Howard anyway as insurance. He's cheap.

Though supposing we do get Hunt, I wouldn't be miffed if we traded Howard for a pick that is used on a running back anyway. But that's just a long term plan I'd keep my eye out for to pounce on. We can be successful with Howard and don't need to act like we are desperate.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
How about sign Hunt, keep Howard considering Hunt is likely to be suspended. Then trade Howard to a team in need of a RB close to the trade deadline. Will likely be a team hoping to make a playoff push, and could get the Bears better trade value in the process.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
1 Keep Howard for next season. He has very little trade value.

2 As of this date we have no idea of when Hunt will be allowed back into the league. Even if we sign Hunt, Howard will be needed to start for at least the first part of the season.

3 Use the draft to bring in another RB in about the fourth round who has value in the return game. Stock this position knowing Howard will be gone in 2020.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Summary: Replace Mizzell and Cunningham with draft picks or low cost FA, we could still use a good Kick Returner. Keep Howard and scheme for him, use for short-yardage, putting the game away. Have Howard do burst and anti-ankle tackling training in the offseason. If receive good draft (min 5th) or player offer, trade Howard.
RB Roster: Cohen, Howard, draft, FA -- or -- Cohen, FA, draft, draft -- maybe someday Hunt.
------------------

I'd say it's obvious Nagy's system needs a Kareem Hunt type of RB who can shoot holes quickly, with real speed, and catch well out of the back field with some reasonable size to both rush up the middle and pass block. None of the Bears RBs, Howard, Cohen, Mizell or Cunningham are sufficiently that type of Back. We don't have to lose Howard to add this type of RB. It's only a related issue, not an either/or, as Howard will only be $1.5mil.

Cut Mizell and Cunningham.

On the first issue, draft Hunt-type RB to save money; it's a good RB draft class. And most likely keep Howard for 2019, let him walk 2020, likely recover a 5th in later draft compensation.

Trade/FA Replacement:
Regarding trade for draft pick, another player, or signing a FA RB... I'd leave to shifting opportunities, cap casualties. As coaches and schemes solidify, there may be a team that needs the type of RB (and price) that Howard is (and that remains to be seen). Perhaps during the draft a team misses the RB they want and calls the Bears. I'd request a 4th, but wouldn't take less than a 5th. Or a team might work out a player trade, I'd be very open to that. Not much cap space, so if a Hunt-like FA RB appears in the $1-4 range, I seriously consider that. Hunt is not a plan, but if he becomes available at some point, and Bears are not yet completely satisfied, then sign him.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
1. Keep the guy that has done everything that was asked of him even during lean years when we didn't have much offense.
2. He's durable; everyone complained last year that he couldn't catch, he responded this year.
3. Stay way from the guy that assaults 19 year old girls.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It really really sucks as Howard is one of my favorite players but Nagy either cant use him properly or just doesn't know.

If we could trade howard and get something for him that would be great but i doubt it happens. Then sign D̶a̶r̶t̶h̶ ̶V̶a̶d̶e̶r̶ Hunt. Hopefully he gets his act together and stays away from underage hos

BBBF

Liked Posts:
Do we know what Hunts other incidents are? Based on just the kick, I would be ok with bringing in Hunt and trading if someone is desperate and offers a good pick, trading Howard after Hunt's suspension.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Do we know what Hunts other incidents are? Based on just the kick, I would be ok with bringing in Hunt and trading if someone is desperate and offers a good pick, trading Howard after Hunt's suspension.

Four months AFTER the assault on the girl in the hotel, he punched a guy in the face at an Ohio resort. Both of these are being reviewed by the league.

This guy seems like a real shit-bag.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
How about sign Hunt, keep Howard considering Hunt is likely to be suspended. Then trade Howard to a team in need of a RB close to the trade deadline. Will likely be a team hoping to make a playoff push, and could get the Bears better trade value in the process.

this guy footballs

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Four months AFTER the assault on the girl in the hotel, he punched a guy in the face at an Ohio resort. Both of these are being reviewed by the league.

did the guy deserve it though? sometimes you gotta hit somebody.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Keep Howard unless some team offers a 3rd, then I could see it. Let him walk after the season. Let Nagy find his guy in the draft in the 3rd/4th that can take the reigns once Howard is gone.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Oh, I'm sure Kareem Hunt is a victim here. Poor Kareem Hunt, everyone is picking on him.

I'd just like to know the "why" Why did he punch a guy? He barely touched that chick so maybe he barely punched this guy as well. Or maybe the guy deserved it?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Trade Howard

5th round pick, his salary tripling screwed this up.

Sign Ware, Sign Hunt, Draft someone late

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Much bigger shit heads in the NFL, we just don’t know about it.

napo55

Liked Posts:
I'd just like to know the "why" Why did he punch a guy? He barely touched that chick so maybe he barely punched this guy as well. Or maybe the guy deserved it?

I live in the SF Bay Area and this sounds exactly like the fans who continued to support Ruben Foster, incident after incident. We all know how that turned out. Talented as he is (and as Foster is) it's not realistic to expect Hunt to change. The fact is, you can't rely on him to be available when you need him.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Oh, I'm sure Kareem Hunt is a victim here. Poor Kareem Hunt, everyone is picking on him.

Im sure we should field a team of nothint but saints then if we lose at least it will be with grace and dignity

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It really really sucks as Howard is one of my favorite players but Nagy either cant use him properly or just doesn't know.

If we could trade howard and get something for him that would be great but i doubt it happens. Then sign D̶a̶r̶t̶h̶ ̶V̶a̶d̶e̶r̶ Hunt. Hopefully he gets his act together and stays away from underage hos

It's not that can't use him properly, it's just simply that Howard is a dying breed in this league. He's a younger version of Blount