Ohtani signs with the angels

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Jeff Passan

@JeffPassan
In the statement announcing Shohei Ohtani will sign with the Los Angeles Angels, agent Nez Balelo said: “In the end, he felt a strong connection with the Angels and believes they can best help him reach his goals in Major League Baseball.”

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Little shocked but largest Japanese community in America. Good amount of cash inc. DH. Play with Trout. There were some things going for them. But I had them at 5.

smknivy420

Liked Posts:
Oh well. I always felt that if was a long shot for any NL team, especially not one from the West Coast like the Cubs. Time to move on. Just super glad he chose the LAA and not the LAD. Yes I'm hating.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
They're talking on MLB Radio that the Angels are now targeting Moustakas and Arrieta.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Little shocked but largest Japanese community in America. Good amount of cash inc. DH. Play with Trout. There were some things going for them. But I had them at 5.

Yep. Apparently, neither money or winning was a prerequisite for this guy....we'll see how this plays out.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
His walkup music will be the 1970's song "Wildfire".

Heeeeyyyyyyy - oooooohhhhh!!!

:)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
They're talking on MLB Radio that the Angels are now targeting Moustakas and Arrieta.

Wow - add Ohtani, Arrieta and Moustakas to Trout and Pujols, and the Angels may finish only four games out next year.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Wow - add Ohtani, Arrieta and Moustakas to Trout and Pujols, and the Angels may finish only four games out next year.

They were 80-82 and in the WC race with a week left in the season. They've added Upton for a full year now and now Ohtani. We know that teams typically don't win tehir division after winning a WS (the Cubs were and outlier) so the Astros are no lock and that division will be competitive. If they sign Moustakas and Arrieta you're looking at a team that could win 90 games, more if luck goes right.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
They were 80-82 and in the WC race with a week left in the season. They've added Upton for a full year now and now Ohtani. We know that teams typically don't win tehir division after winning a WS (the Cubs were and outlier) so the Astros are no lock and that division will be competitive. If they sign Moustakas and Arrieta you're looking at a team that could win 90 games, more if luck goes right.

They'd also be massively over the luxury tax.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If they have Upton all year, Trout, Pujols, Ohtani, Arrieta and Moustakas, and win NINETY, their manager should pay back his salary five times over.

But they won't sign Arrieta and Moustakas. (And I am not sure why Moustakas gets lumped in with this list)

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Angels general manager Billy Eppler said Saturday he doesn't see Shohei Ohtani playing outfield in 2018.

"I don’t anticipate him playing outfield this season," Eppler said at Ohtani's introductory news conference. That's certainly noteworthy, given that he was billed as a two-way star who could play the field when he wasn't on the mound every fifth day. As it is, Ohtani will likely steal at-bats from Albert Pujols at designated hitter, but the aging slugger will certainly get his as well. Perhaps the 23-year-old Japanese star won't be as much as an offensive force as hoped, at least not at first.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Angels general manager Billy Eppler said Saturday he doesn't see Shohei Ohtani playing outfield in 2018.

"I don’t anticipate him playing outfield this season," Eppler said at Ohtani's introductory news conference. That's certainly noteworthy, given that he was billed as a two-way star who could play the field when he wasn't on the mound every fifth day. As it is, Ohtani will likely steal at-bats from Albert Pujols at designated hitter, but the aging slugger will certainly get his as well. Perhaps the 23-year-old Japanese star won't be as much as an offensive force as hoped, at least not at first.

I thought that was one of the best things the Cubs had going for them. Maddon is the perfect coach as far as being creative with the lineup. I figured Ohtani would have liked the way Maddon moves players around. Plus, I figured Ohtani would want to go to the NL where pitchers hit for themselves. I guess those cold Chicago winters scared him away. :shrug:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I thought that was one of the best things the Cubs had going for them. Maddon is the perfect coach as far as being creative with the lineup. I figured Ohtani would have liked the way Maddon moves players around. Plus, I figured Ohtani would want to go to the NL where pitchers hit for themselves. I guess those cold Chicago winters scared him away. :shrug:

He would spend to off season in Japan. Non factor.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
I was really surprised he didn't land in Seattle.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was really surprised he didn't land in Seattle.

LA has the largest Japanese community in America. So box office draw would factor. Add to it a place to live that feels like home. Then food is a huge factor as that is a major part of their culture. Just trying to get food out of the typical sushi.

Here is SD it is far easier to get Filipino food. Japanese sweets. Groceries etc. just a basic Bento Box...