Official Jorge Soler Watch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really a surprise, the Cubs have been more active in Cuba then at any other point this past year even under the previous regime. All reports have suggested that the Cubs would be heavily involved in all three and nothing stated so far has contradicted that statement. Soler probably fits more with the rebuilding than Cespedes who is probably just entering his peak year in terms of physical ability as opposed to Soler who can develop, but either would be a great add to a system that lacks top end talent.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
He makes more sense for us than Cespedes cheaper and we will be good when he hits his prime years unlike Cespedes

Last edited:

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
Goldstein is reporting on twitter the deal is done just cant be signed because he isnt a free agent.

https://twitter.com/#!/Kevin_Goldstein

This makes me happy the other dude made no sense we are rebuliding no need to add a 26 yr old who wont be in his prime when we compete.

Most scouts say Soler is a top 5 draft pick talent it is a steep price but with the CBA one we should take I really like this if it is infact true.

This is like adding Bubba Starling yes 4yrs 27 is a ton but as long as he is under team control after that I really like the move because he is young enough we can mold him and fix flaws if he has some.

Sucks we had to compete with all the others teams that cost us 20m. Starling signed for 7m. But adding this kid and having another good draft in June are farm will be a massive difference from where it was last year at this time.

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Two out of three ain't bad...

Theo has done a nice job of adding talent to the farm system in a short time with the additions of Rizzo, Concepcion, and now Soler. I will be interested to see if Soler is getting a major league deal like Concepcion which has interesting ramifications for the 40 man roster and how quickly he has to develop (Concepcion basically has to be able to stick on the big league roster within 4 years, 3 if he spends any time above A ball this year).

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Goldstein says that our new top prospect list is:
1. Soler
2. Jackson
3. Baez
4. Rizzo (not sure if he was the one who said Rizzo was behind Baez before)
19. Concepcion

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Soler's 4 years on his contract don't start until his service time starts (MLB debut), per Goldstein.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Soler's 4 years on his contract don't start until his service time starts (MLB debut), per Goldstein.

That is a really weird contract then which I have never heard of being used before. Is he on the 40 man roster then or not?

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
Kevin_Goldstein Kevin Goldstein
Folks, the four year deal for Soler is DIFFERENT from the Cespedes deal. Service time won't start until big leagues, NOT a FA after the 4.

yes this is great news if he pans out we have him under control for a long ass time.

He also gets a invite to big league camp so we will get to see him pretty soon even though he has no shot of making the team.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kevin_Goldstein Kevin Goldstein
Folks, the four year deal for Soler is DIFFERENT from the Cespedes deal. Service time won't start until big leagues, NOT a FA after the 4.

yes this is great news if he pans out we have him under control for a long ass time.

He also gets a invite to big league camp so we will get to see him pretty soon even though he has no shot of making the team.

Okay this makes sense now. Basically the deal with Cespesdes is that the team can't offer arbitration and so he becomes a free agent at the end of the deal. Soler is probably getting a major league deal like Concepcion so he is being paid the 27 million spread out over the 4 years now, but the Cubs will have control for the full 6 years of major league service time. If it is a major league deal though, he starts burning options this year and will have at most 4 option years before having to stick on the major league roster just like Concepcion.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Theo may be the greatest thing to ever happen to the Cubs...and certainly the best to happen since Harry Caray started broadcasting for us.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Theo may be the greatest thing to ever happen to the Cubs...and certainly the best to happen since Harry Caray started broadcasting for us.

I wouldn't go that far :lol:

It's quite a bit of money to spend on a prospect, but the scouts hopefully knew what they were doing and it's not like the Cubs didn't have the random money lying around anyway. I think it's a solid signing.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't go that far :lol:

It's quite a bit of money to spend on a prospect, but the scouts hopefully knew what they were doing and it's not like the Cubs didn't have the random money lying around anyway. I think it's a solid signing.
It is a lot of money, but everyone understands that these guys are getting overpaid now because it is the last gasp of uncontrolled spending on amateurs. It is just good to see them spend the money to add talent somewhere. It might not be the sexiest moves rigth now, but they added two top 100 prospects this offseason which is pretty impressive.

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:

Harry%2BCaray.bmp

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
At the end of the day, signing Soler makes us a top 10 Farm System. How long has it been since we've been a top 10 Farm system? We've got Soler, Rizzo, Jackson, Baez, and several others that actually appear to be in the MLB Cubs future.

Theo has earned even more respect, imo, after about 3 months on the job.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks