Report: Chicago Bulls shopping Jimmy Butler

Ron Burgundy

9684968-jimmy-butler-nba-chicago-bulls-utah-jazz-812x560.jpg

The Chicago Bulls are currently at .500, sitting at 18-18 on the season. But are they ready to completely rebuild the franchise?According to one report, yes.Bleacher Report's Ric Bucher is reporting that the Bulls have told teams that shooting guard Jimmy Butler is currently available. Bucher mentions the Bulls have shopped Butler this season.The 27-year-old Butler scored 52 points against the Charlotte Hornets on Monday night and has played very well this season. He's been the star and the go-to guy in Chicago. But his time with the team might be up.This isn't the first time Butler's name has come up in rumors. Last season reports circulated that the Bulls were shopping Butler and even turned down an offer from the Boston Celtics.During the 2016 NBA Draft, there was buzz that the Minnesota Timberwolves were interested in Butler. Nothing happened and Butler stayed in Chicago.This season could get even more interesting. Stay tuned.

More...

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
If Bulls wanted a full rebuild, should have done it during draft. Team is just a mess.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
It's a smart move to dangle Jimmy. This team is .500, has no shot to win a championship, won't have good draft picks (and blows them anyway), and don't have a realistic shot in free agency. Not to mention, it's a weak free agent class. Make him available and see what teams offer. It would be stupid not to make him available.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
If Bulls wanted a full rebuild, should have done it during draft. Team is just a mess.

Why? I'd argue Butler's value is much higher now than it was in the off-season. Your comment doesn't make sense. It's not like he's only signed for another year or two. The Bulls need to be blown away by a package for Butler who is a top 10 player in the league right now. If they get blown away by a deal, trade him...if not, keep him.

danchi23

Liked Posts:

My thoughts exactly, but i feel that since its fresh in the minds of the owners that he can score alot more that they can get more for him more than before.

danchi23

Liked Posts:
Just made no sense to me atleast, to add d.wade if only it was to increase ticket sales.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Jimmy's value is at an all-time high right now so I guess I can understand it from that perspective but I would have much rather them done this in the off-season and not wasted money on guys like Rondo and Wade.

Would also have to be a pretty ridiculously good offer.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Would like to hear the offers they expect this team to get. Hopefully it's just a way to get the foot into the door, then swap scenarios around until Rondo and Wade are the ones traded.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
If you are shopping for picks with the lottery system you could end up with a bag of coal. If that is what they are looking for off-season is best so you know what you are getting

If going for players a trade anytime sounds good

But bleacher report usually is fake news anyways. I don't think any real moves will happen unless gar is kicked to the curb. Can't let that guy make the trade

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Jimmy's value is at an all-time high right now so I guess I can understand it from that perspective but I would have much rather them done this in the off-season and not wasted money on guys like Rondo and Wade.

Would also have to be a pretty ridiculously good offer.

Who cares about the money? Rondo will be gone next season and Wade most likely will too. So it's essentially a 1 year rental on both guys to see if this team can compete...which they can't. I'd shop Wade too. Anything we get for him is gravy. As for Butler....it's going to take a hell of a package. He's a top 10 player, one of the best two way players, and his contract is a STEAL with the new CBA. I'd want both Nets picks, Crowder (or Bradley) and Brown from Boston. Even though those Nets picks should turn out to be really good, the chances either one of them turns into a top 10 player in the league is extremely small.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Who cares about the money? Rondo will be gone next season and Wade most likely will too. So it's essentially a 1 year rental on both guys to see if this team can compete...which they can't. I'd shop Wade too. Anything we get for him is gravy. As for Butler....it's going to take a hell of a package. He's a top 10 player, one of the best two way players, and his contract is a STEAL with the new CBA. I'd want both Nets picks, Crowder (or Bradley) and Brown from Boston. Even though those Nets picks should turn out to be really good, the chances either one of them turns into a top 10 player in the league is extremely small.

Now, that is a trade proposal I'd make right now. That would be huge for this franchise.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's a smart move to dangle Jimmy. This team is .500, has no shot to win a championship, won't have good draft picks (and blows them anyway), and don't have a realistic shot in free agency. Not to mention, it's a weak free agent class. Make him available and see what teams offer. It would be stupid not to make him available.

Dangle him? The problem is the two assholes who would do the dangling and the ass-hole that they report to. It is another case of corporate incompetency in Chicago.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

What are the chances one of them turns into a top 20 player? Because that's what Butler is.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
What are the chances one of them turns into a top 20 player? Because that's what Butler is.

I disagree with that for sure. He's a top 10 guy right now. 20 players better than Jimmy? Let's hear the list.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree with that for sure. He's a top 10 guy right now. 20 players better than Jimmy? Let's hear the list.

James. Cle
Durant. Gs
Curry. Gs
Westbrook. Okc
Leonard. Sa
Harden. Hou
Paul. Lac
Lillard. Por
Davis. No
Aldridge. Sa
Griffin. Lac
Wall. Was
Irving. Cle
Cousins. Sac
George. In
DeRozan. Tor
Lowry. Tor
Thompson. Gs
Butler. Chi
Antetokounmpo. Mil

19th or 20th best for sure

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Not saying this is my argument, but to entertain the point....

So what if you trade Butler for a pick that winds up being a top 20 player in the future? The Bulls aren't winning now, so a top 10 player now on a .500 team is basically just to sell a few tickets. The Bulls aren't structured for a quick rebuild, well, they could be on paper, but that is not how Gar/Pax have demonstrated their war room prowess. So maybe a top 20 player in 4-5 years is worth more than a top 10 for the next few years. Yes, the team runs the risk of being in a Philly-esque spiral of being ripe for break-out, but never get the matching parts or expected player development to do so.