Joe Maddon's Job Security

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dumb shit. Nightengale always had his nose up Dusty Baker's ass.....so anything he says has to be totally factual.

:cmonman:

kapooncha

Liked Posts:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Joe brings a winning environment. So paying Joe is investing into the fan base. The fan base is a top 4 market that has kept loyal in the worst of situations.

Nightingale is a Douche.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Joe has a golden ticket. He isn’t going anywhere unless he wants to go somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Nightengale has a pretty good rep, so it's weird he filed a story as dubious as this one. Instead of calling up Epstein and just asking for a comment, he gets publicly refuted a day later. Bad look.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loc...n-joe-maddon-rumors-job-firing-492002421.html

Nightengale's rep has really taken a hit in the last two years with some really dubious reporting. I put this in that category. Basically what he's saying is that they may sour on ol' Joe if he loses in 3 games in the NLDS. I put that in the "no shit" category and dismiss it as being ridiculous speculation because that's not going to happen. Also, even if it did happen it might make next year uncomfortable but the idea that Joe might be fired after this year is absurd on it's face.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The one thing in the Nightengale piece that is true is that MLB is no longer looking for "super managers" as a general rule. The feeling is that most FO control most of the roster moves and some of the lineup decisions so unless a guy has an amazing track record why pay him like he does? Cost savings. That makes sense, but when you have one of those guys you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
well, when he wins his defenders say this is what we need, when he loses, nobody is allowed to question his decisions.

As soon as they win a series, they get all sunday lineup on us.

Did we need to see David Bote play SS to know we have a backup so they can deal Russell? yes.
Did we need to see that when Stella and happ are in the lineup and Heyward and Murphy are out? I dont think so.

I wonder if something is wrong with murphy, getting pulled for the double switch then not in the lineup for game 2 yesterday, but you can pace yourself with the rest so that not all of Heyward, Murphy and Baez are out of the lineup but God forbid he sit Rizzo when he is in a 2-40 drought.

Either way, to me, Epstein is a guy that wants to keep his foot on the pedal, get a stranglehold on this division and then worry about time off.

Yesterday was part of why I believe there is some truth to it. Maybe its not epstein, maybe its hoyer or ricketts.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
well, when he wins his defenders say this is what we need, when he loses, nobody is allowed to question his decisions.

As soon as they win a series, they get all sunday lineup on us.

Did we need to see David Bote play SS to know we have a backup so they can deal Russell? yes.
Did we need to see that when Stella and happ are in the lineup and Heyward and Murphy are out? I dont think so.

I wonder if something is wrong with murphy, getting pulled for the double switch then not in the lineup for game 2 yesterday, but you can pace yourself with the rest so that not all of Heyward, Murphy and Baez are out of the lineup but God forbid he sit Rizzo when he is in a 2-40 drought.

Either way, to me, Epstein is a guy that wants to keep his foot on the pedal, get a stranglehold on this division and then worry about time off.

Yesterday was part of why I believe there is some truth to it. Maybe its not epstein, maybe its hoyer or ricketts.

That lineup yesterday was primarily because Murphy and Baez needed rest. There's nothing wrong with Murphy per se but he's older coming off a serious injury and we've seen what he does for this lineup and you need him as healthy as possible for the playoffs. In essence yesterday was a meaningless game. At 5 back in the loss column St. Louis is barely a threat and at 6 Milwaukee isn't a threat at all. You figure that a team can make up a game a week in the loss column and there are 4 1/2 weeks left. Even if St. Louis won yesterday the odds are not likely of that occurring. With Mills starting yesterday the odds of winning that game were small to begin with so there was no need to maximize a lineup. It's foolish to think that you try to win every game equally. Joe is not going anywhere.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That lineup yesterday was primarily because Murphy and Baez needed rest. There's nothing wrong with Murphy per se but he's older coming off a serious injury and we've seen what he does for this lineup and you need him as healthy as possible for the playoffs. In essence yesterday was a meaningless game. At 5 back in the loss column St. Louis is barely a threat and at 6 Milwaukee isn't a threat at all. You figure that a team can make up a game a week in the loss column and there are 4 1/2 weeks left. Even if St. Louis won yesterday the odds are not likely of that occurring. With Mills starting yesterday the odds of winning that game were small to begin with so there was no need to maximize a lineup. It's foolish to think that you try to win every game equally. Joe is not going anywhere.

Absolutely. It never ceases to amaze me what some of the goofs on this forum come up with. They are rewriting the definition of the word gullible. Everything written about the Cubs is gospel....no matter who writes it or where it's written.

It's on the internet.

IT HAS TO BE TRUE!!!!

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Jesse Rogers is about the closest media guy to the senior Cubs brass in the world, and even he said Nightengale's report was complete BS.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Absolutely. It never ceases to amaze me what some of the goofs on this forum come up with. They are rewriting the definition of the word gullible. Everything written about the Cubs is gospel....no matter who writes it or where it's written.

It's on the internet.

IT HAS TO BE TRUE!!!!

I guess we will see how they do against teams that actually act like they are in a pennant race.

There are 30 games remaining and the magic number to clinch is 26. Does not seem like they are a lock to walk away with this.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I guess we will see how they do against teams that actually act like they are in a pennant race.

There are 30 games remaining and the magic number to clinch is 26. Does not seem like they are a lock to walk away with this.

Then you simply aren't doing the math. The Cubs have played at a .632 clip since July 1, a fairly large sample size. In that same stretch the Brewers are playing .500 ball and the Cards, despite their vaunted and clearly unsustainable run, are also behind the cubs at a .615 clip. On top of that there are now just over four weeks left in the season with the Cardinals five games behind in the loss column and the Brewers six. The rule of thumb, even with head to head matchups, is that you can make up about a game a week. In other words unless the Cubs shit the bed in the next week the division will be all but wrapped up (not mathematically but practically) by the end of the first week of September. Looking at facts and figures I don't see how you can come up with a different outcome than the Cubs winning this division and more than likely the National League.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Let's look at this another way. The Cubs at their current clip since that 7/1 date of .632 are on pace to win 97 games. They're getting Kris Bryant back this weekend and in the past week added Daniel Murphy. The starting pitching has an ERA of 2.15 and a FIP of 2.93 over the last 14 games. There is no reasonable expectation whatsoever that the Cubs will perform below that .632 threshold and are likely to improve on it. Given that here are what the two chasing teams would have to accomplish just to tie those 97 wins:

St. Louis- 24-6 or a .727 clip, remembering that they're only .615 since July 1 despite a crazy 16 day run of .800 ball.
Milwaukee- 22-5 or a .814 clip despite being .500 since 7/1

While anything is possible, looking at the talent, and the way these teams have played over a reasonably large sample size the idea that the Cubs will lose this division is a longshot at best.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
The Cubs could completely miss the playoffs and Joe Maddon won't get fired.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Theo was saying on WSCR that we know it, Joe knows it, and his agent knows it. Discussions will not happen until the offseason.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I said 3 months ago in this forum that, if the Cubs don't make it to the WS, then Maddon is done. Source was one of the highest team executive