Nagy/Fox/Trestman...is this when the wheels fall off?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I am starting to get a sinking feeling about this Cinderella season for the Bears, as if Harrison Smith's hit on Trubisky was the "Martellus Bennett stopped at the 1" moment of the 2018 season. This year's unexpected good start reminds me of Trestman's 1st year, where everyone was praising the Bears for thinking outside the box and hiring an offensive genius. Until now, I think the Bears have been tremendously fortunate in avoiding injury...they've basically had the same 11 starters on both offense and defense for the entire year...which is a huge advantage in the NFL.

Trubisky's injury casts a shadow of doubt over the remainder of the year...Nagy's non-presser/presser was eerily similar to every John Fox press conference, which typically would end with moron Zach Zaidman 'reporting' that Jermon Bushrod is in a walking boot, but no update on his status. In some way, the Bears' silence regarding Trubisky (he didn't practice...he had limited practice...) is deafening.

The remainder of the Bears schedule is tricky. The Giants have two superstar players yet have underachieved on offense...a classic 'trap' game for the Bears who follow up with the Rams. I can see the Bears being 8-5 heading into their last three games. If Trubisky is still out/limited, then going 1-2 is the most likely result with a final record of 9-7. It could be good enough for the division or wild card, but it also might not. For the Bears to miss the postseason would leave a bad taste in people's mouths despite all the progress made by Nagy and company...very similar to the 2013 Trestman Bears having an outside shot at the playoffs at 8-6, but losing their last two games (one a 54-11 stomping by Chip Kelly's Eagles).

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would be lying if I said that no doubts were creeping into my mind. We have been here before as Bears fans as promising seasons went down the tube late.

But we will learn a lot about Matt Nagy over the next few weeks.

Can he close this out with some less than ideal circumstances? I think he probably can. Those 3 division wins in 12 days was something none of those other coaches could have pulled off.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought they would hit a brick wall over the past three games. That would have been very recent-bears-like.

One thing I like about this team is that it is not reminding me of the past couple regimes.......

The only thing I am nervous about is Nagy trying to get cutesy by not starting Trubisky. He must have great faith in Daniel. I hope it works out.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
is this a pre-#calledit?

Kurtosis

Liked Posts:
I’m pretty sure they end up 8-8 and Trubisky doesn’t play another game.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Shades of 2013 and also 2011 when the Bears got on a winning streak to 7-3 and Cutler got injured. This looks like a similar ending.

It's too bad because now the league has this offense on tape, they'll likely regress similarly to how the Eagles did. This was the opportunity to catch the league off guard.

Still, at least they're too talented to go back to being 3-13 and they should be reasonably entertaining to watch over the next couple of years even if playoffs are unlikely.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Shades of 2013 and also 2011 when the Bears got on a winning streak to 7-3 and Cutler got injured. This looks like a similar ending.

It's too bad because now the league has this offense on tape, they'll likely regress similarly to how the Eagles did. This was the opportunity to catch the league off guard.

Still, at least they're too talented to go back to being 3-13 and they should be reasonably entertaining to watch over the next couple of years even if playoffs are unlikely.
Your grapes went sour quick man. I get it, but that's a rough outlook to hold onto.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Not sure why any of this would have an impact on next season?

This season it looks more likely that we will be playing for the division week 17 against the Vikings and at worse backing into the playoffs as a wildcard.

Moving forward, the offense will continue to progress, the coaching will continue to learn, and this experience is a year ahead of schedule, which puts them in a better spot for 2019.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm just fucking around, nvm.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Trubisky will be back for the Rams game. We'll win 10 or 11 games and probably the division. By the time the playoffs come around nobody will even be thinking about the two weeks he missed. It's a non factor. Really.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No matter how this year ends I think that this experience is going to be incredibly valuable.

Like the 2015 Cubs who made a run before they were expected to, that experience and culture was necessary for them to win in 2016.

You cannot go from a shit team to a Championship team without a couple steps along the way.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trubisky will be back for the Rams game. We'll win 10 or 11 games and probably the division. By the time the playoffs come around nobody will even be thinking about the two weeks he missed. It's a non factor. Really.

I am renaming you Captain Optimism..........

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Probably.

The Bears are not winning the Super Bowl this season. I give them a chance against the Rams and a punchers chance against NO.

But can you imagine the Bears rolling into New Orleans in the divisional round to play in that environment, against a HOF QB, and a coach and QB who have rings? That would overwhlem anyone. Even more so a team that hasn't played a playoff game since 2010.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The 2015 cubs is a good analogy of this year, I agree. Being good a year earlier than expected with the new coach and all that.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I don’t see any reason for trubisky to be out the last 3 weeks of the season.

Let’s say he hypothetically is out though and they miss the playoffs... so what imo. The bears aren’t winning anything without trubisky, and his health really is paramount to the current and long term success of this franchise. Worst case scenario would be you play trubisky against the giants and then he injured his throwing shoulder and he’s done. Now what?

The giants are bad but you’d be kidding yourself to say this will be a free win, especially considering Daniels is starting. However, you can live with a loss here. The season goes on and the bears will have multiple chances to prove they are a playoff team.

If trubisky gets injured then kiss any playoff wins goodbye. You also stunt his growth and put into question his health for next season. That is not something you can live with.