How about Girardi as Cubs manager in 2020?

garapp

Liked Posts:
If the Cubs dont extend Maddon's contract past 2019, how about hiring Girardi? Former Cub, great manager with the Yankees Illinois native

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If maddon is gone I'm sure he'll be considered but I don't get the rush to push Maddon out the door. He's had less support from his organization than girardi and he's won more. Obviously that's mostly a case of Maddon in Tampa but I think people over look what he was handed the past 4 years with the cubs. it was a super young team that had talent but there's a lot of teams that don't fair anywhere near as well as quickly as the cubs did.

That's not to say you can't consider replacing Maddon but if it's not someone obviously better I'm not sure I see the point. And frankly I'm not even sure who would be obviously better.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I think the fact the Girardi is out the is part of why the Cubs haven't extended Maddon already. The hitting and pitching coaches have been replaced the last two off seasons. If players don't progress, right or not, I think Maddon will be let go and the Cubs have their eye on Girardi to replace him.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
If Girardi is available, and Maddon isn't kept, it's basically 100% that Girardi will be managing the Cubs. Managing the Cubs is Girardi's dream job.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
People dont see the rush to move Joe, but if you are going to do it, they just need to do it.

The cubs won game 7 in spite of what Maddon tried to do with Chapman.

The Morrow injury, he was told do not use him 3 days in a row.

The Strop hammy injury, just plain dumb.

What happened to the magicians, jugglers, petting zoos? They all went away with Davey Martinez.

Things are adding up and I am sure Theo feels like he should have been in three world series by now with this team.

I think Theo is hoping for a retirement or Joe choosing to go.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
If Girardi is available, and Maddon isn't kept, it's basically 100% that Girardi will be managing the Cubs. Managing the Cubs is Girardi's dream job.

Dream job that he already had one crack at and passed up for the Yankees?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I think if you're looking for Joe to be gone and replaced, which is by no means a fait accompli at this point, Tory Lovullo is a better name to watch. Arizona is rebuilding and he's the young analytics centered guy they'd be looking for. I wouldn't rule out Girardi, but Lovullo seems to be a better fit.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Clearly the replacement is Ozzie Guillen.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not sure about that. I think Cubs just preferred Lou Piniella.

Joe was unproven in a big market. Lou is big market. Hendry went with the safe bet.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If Joe decides to be a FA Guardi becomes the next manager. I see Theo asking Joe to coach more vs be the voice of the team. IDK how that really went over with Joe next year. Far more likely we get Guardi managing the team with a hands on approach.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
If Joe decides to be a FA Guardi becomes the next manager. I see Theo asking Joe to coach more vs be the voice of the team. IDK how that really went over with Joe next year. Far more likely we get Guardi managing the team with a hands on approach.

As long as Girardi is still available. That's the key.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Nothing, I'm just pointing out the weaknesses in the narrative that Girardi coming here is a foregone conclusion.

I said it above but Torey Lovullo actually makes more sense than Girardi if they go that way and he's also a lame duck manager on a rebuilding club no less.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure he passed on the Reds for a reason.

The most likely explanation is that he passed on the Reds because they're a shitty organization with a shitty team in a shitty city to which he has absolutely no connection, not some long game to end up as the Cubs next manager.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The most likely explanation is that he passed on the Reds because they're a shitty organization with a shitty team in a shitty city to which he has absolutely no connection, not some long game to end up as the Cubs next manager.

Not many teams come to mind for him next year.

Anyways if he felt that way they wouldn’t have gone as far as a interview. Imo it coincides with Maddon’s Last year and the firing of his hitting coach and pitching coach steps down for “personal reasons”. After Theo pulls the you need to coach and goes more self developed coaching. (Hitting coach came up through system also)

Honestly it was a perfect storm brewing for Joe G. Taking the Reds job would have blown a opertunity with a bad team. But that team did well under dusty so it really comes down to more or less payroll available.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If the Cubs dont extend Maddon's contract past 2019, how about hiring Girardi? Former Cub, great manager with the Yankees Illinois native
Maddon could be replaced in 2019 whether it Girardi or someone else..

Have to think if this team struggles at any point, theyll pull the plug on Maddon..
Plus
With all the generic type coaches hire this offseason, have to think the percentage is pretty low that their considering to extend him past this year..