Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 45 to 63 of 63

Thread: Lee Smith HOF

  1. #45
    v. 2.0: Fully Modded FirstTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    26,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Outside of pointing out FirstTimer's personal attack of Brett05 , which particularly as a mod, doesn't likely lend a hand to grow a forum (yeah, we all get that Brett presents arguments of emotion more than statistical arguments) the gist of the rest of the post was changing who gets to vote for HoF. It needs to be mostly taken away from the guys who report and given to people who actually played/coached/GM'd the game, IMO. If those people vote in Baines and Smith, then who are we to argue with them?
    Huh?

    I called him "intellectually bankrupt" in a post. That's a fact. His entire argument was devoid of intellect and fact and based 100% on emotion.
    The hell are you talking about?

    Was the entire list of stats to that effect unclear?

    You caping for brett here is hilarious.

  2. #46
    CCS Donator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    9,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Huh?

    I called him "intellectually bankrupt" in a post. That's a fact. His entire argument was devoid of intellect and fact and based 100% on emotion.
    The hell are you talking about?

    Was the entire list of stats to that effect unclear?

    You caping for brett here is hilarious.
    "You're, as usual, intellectually bankrupt." That is the very definition of a personal attack and not an attack on the post.

  3. #47
    All-Star Rory Sparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It needs to be mostly taken away from the guys who report and given to people who actually played/coached/GM'd the game, IMO. If those people vote in Baines and Smith, then who are we to argue with them?
    Probably the most inopportune moment to suggest this, considering the reporters saw Baines as having no HOF case, while the players/managers just elected Baines.

  4. #48
    v. 2.0: Fully Modded FirstTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    26,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "You're, as usual, intellectually bankrupt." That is the very definition of a personal attack and not an attack on the post.
    LOL. It's a direct attack on the idea he put in the post. I spent the entire post outlining how and why.

    He came up with the idea so even "attacking the post" would be a personal attack since he personally wrote it...unless brett has post ghostwriters.

  5. #49
    v. 2.0: Fully Modded FirstTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    26,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rory Sparrow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably the most inopportune moment to suggest this, considering the reporters saw Baines as having no HOF case, while the players/managers just elected Baines.
    lol. Jesus Christ.

  6. #50
    All-Star Rory Sparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,413

    Default

    So much butthurt in CCS, that people get upset when they aren't even involved.

  7. #51
    v. 2.0: Fully Modded FirstTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    26,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rory Sparrow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So much butthurt in CCS, that people get upset when they aren't even involved.
    Squeaky wheels gon' squeak.

  8. #52
    CCS Donator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    9,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL. It's a direct attack on the idea he put in the post. I spent the entire post outlining how and why.

    He came up with the idea so even "attacking the post" would be a personal attack since he personally wrote it...unless brett has post ghostwriters.
    "You're intellectually bankrupt". You are flat out wrong. That is a personal attack.

  9. #53
    v. 2.0: Fully Modded FirstTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    26,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "You're intellectually bankrupt". You are flat out wrong. That is a personal attack.
    No. It's an observation and comment about a shit post/thought.

    Cape more.

  10. #54
    All-Star Rory Sparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "You're intellectually bankrupt". You are flat out wrong. That is a personal attack.
    Only an intellectually bankrupt person would make this type of observation.

  11. #55
    v. 2.0: Fully Modded FirstTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    26,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rory Sparrow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only an intellectually bankrupt person would make this type of observation.
    Reported.

  12. #56
    All-Star Rory Sparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reported.
    I had a roommate in college (not Lefty) who thought Rebecca Lobo was attractive. He was also obsessed with Tabitha Soren, who while being much better looking than Rebecca Lobo, wasn't really all that great either. Imagine a year of your college life being stuck watching women's basketball and MTV News.

  13. #57
    v. 2.0: Fully Modded FirstTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    26,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rory Sparrow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a roommate in college (not Lefty) who thought Rebecca Lobo was attractive. He was also obsessed with Tabitha Soren, who while being much better looking than Rebecca Lobo, wasn't really all that great either. Imagine a year of your college life being stuck watching women's basketball and MTV News.
    On relatable issue I ever came across was I had a friend who thought the "girl in Hanson was hot". We had to inform him it was the middle brother of the three.

  14. #58
    CCS Donator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    9,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rory Sparrow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably the most inopportune moment to suggest this, considering the reporters saw Baines as having no HOF case, while the players/managers just elected Baines.
    Then I'll accept that he belongs in the HoF. And I am really busy and glossed over how Baines got in. I will admit to self-pwnage on this issue.

  15. #59
    CCS Donator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    9,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. It's an observation and comment about a shit post/thought.
    It's actually a comment directed at the person who made the post. When you say "You're intellectually bankrupt", that's a personal attack directed to the poster, not the post. Of course the post was bad. Congratulations on winning the internet.

  16. #60
    v. 2.0: Fully Modded FirstTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    26,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's actually a comment directed at the person who made the post. When you say "You're intellectually bankrupt", that's a personal attack directed to the poster, not the post. Of course the post was bad. Congratulations on winning the internet.
    No. It's directed at the logic or reasoning that person used to make the post.

    Keep caping and self pwning.

  17. #61
    v. 2.0: Fully Modded FirstTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    26,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Then I'll accept that he belongs in the HoF.

  18. #62
    CCS Donator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    9,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. It's directed at the logic or reasoning that person used to make the post.
    "You're intellectually bankrupt." Outside of the cute words it translates to "you're stupid" or "you have no brains, as usual". Your post wasn't directed at his logic ir reasoning. It's strictly a personal attack.

    The person who is self-pwning is you. Your posts indicate you struggle to admit when you are wrong. As for this "caping" comment you keep making, it's an intellectually bankrupt argument not too dissimilar from someone calling a person a racist just because they want better border enforcement.

  19. #63
    v. 2.0: Fully Modded FirstTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    26,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "You're intellectually bankrupt." Outside of the cute words it translates to "you're stupid" or "you have no brains, as usual".
    Only to you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your post wasn't directed at his logic ir reasoning.
    LOL at this.

    Let's review:
    Quote Originally Posted by brett
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Baines retired as the best DH of all time
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Edgar Martinez became a full time DH in 1995. He retired three years after Baines in 2004.

    From 1995-2001 Edgar did the following:
    5X All Star
    5x DH of the Year Award
    3x Silver Slugger
    Lead League in OBP 3x
    1x Batting Title
    1x Lead League in RBI's
    1x Lead league in OPS
    1x Led League in Runs
    1x Lead League in Doubles
    1x Lead League in OPS+
    Finished 3rd in the MVP voting in 1995, 6th in 2000.
    Slashed: .329/.446/.574 (OPS of 1.020' OPS+ 164)

    Edgar Martinez was easily better and more accomplished than Baines when Baines retired.

    There is no discussion.

    After Baines retired Martinez put up three more seasons of regression numbers. He was meh. He retired then they immediately named the DH award after him. Stop making it seem like Martinez played for another 5 seasons at an elite level to "pass" Baines after Baines retired. He didn't.

    Martinez last three years after Baines retired:
    .278/.383/.449 (OPS .832, OPS+ 122) 1 ASG, 1 Silver Slugger.

    These were not good years for Edgar given his past. Ironically, Edgar's regression seasons almost perfectly match the "average" Baines season. (.289/.356/.465 OPS of .820 OPS+ of 121)

    So even Edgar's "down seasons" are pretty much better or perfectly on par with Baines average season.

    You're, as usual, intellectually bankrupt.


    ---------------------------------------------------

    I love brett's "theory" that three seasons (<400 games) of Edgar doing this .278/.383/.449 (OPS .832, OPS+ 122) 1 ASG, 1 Silver Slugger after Baines retired catapulted Edgar past Baines on all-time DH lists. Edgar's final season(2004) was terrible. He only played 97 games in 2002. His 2003 was really good..but that's pretty much it.

    So yes. My post DIRECTLY attacked his mindset that "When Baines retired he was the best DH ever".

    He made a stupid, intellectually bankrupt, point and slapped it down as I usually do.

    Try again.


    Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your posts indicate you struggle to admit when you are wrong.
    LOL at this coming from the guy who is caping for Lovie Smith. This is RICH.

    I'm not wrong about the Baines discussion. Why would I "admit I'm wrong" on it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for this "caping" comment you keep making, it's an intellectually bankrupt argument not too dissimilar from someone calling a person a racist just because they want better border enforcement.
    This is a terrible analogy. You're "caping" for brett by getting pissy over one line in a 26 line post where he gets smacked around by stats after making a stupid post/point and gets called on it. I literally used FACTS and STATS to prove he's intellectually bankrupt. It's not some virtue signalling issue where it's my opinion about someones opinion on race based on their opinion on border enforcement.

    You're seriously terrible as a poster.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •