What it means....... Mitchell Trubisky by the NUMBERS........

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
His average stat line right now is pretty average

64.4%, 234 yards, 1.9 TDs, 1 INT

If we can get that supplemented with 30-40 yards rushing I think we would take it and run. That could get us into at least the Champiponship game.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:

If we can get that supplemented with 30-40 yards rushing I think we would take it and run. That could get us into at least the Champiponship game.

For me, the best thing he does right now is to NOT implode. He can have an off night and still lead them to a win, even if ugly. We haven't had a QB that can do that forever. We need, imo, to let him keep growing with the offense Nagy is bringing to the table, and we'll all be happy in the end. I believe Mitch is good now, but can still get a lot better. Been a while since we can say that, imo.

Monster

Liked Posts:

He does remind me a lot of someone who started 11 games in 1991....
64.5, 228 yards, 17 TDs, 8 INTs... 40 yards rushing per game...

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I for one am happy with Mitch's development and believe he will still get much better too. He is 2 years away from being a top 5 QB. IMO. First year in this system for a young QB and coach. Something special is happening and some can't see it. I see it and I'm enjoying it greatly. We got a killer team thats young and improving still. Waaa Waaa.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
He hasn't turned the corner yet. The shoulder separation set him back as well.
Hopefully he cleans it up makes the next step by next season. But he is where I expected him to be.
Bears are doing better than expected this year so the Mitch expectation are inflating.
Whining day in day out on a message board won't change that.
Sit back, watch it play out.
If he turns a corner this season or post season then that is better than expected.
Anything can happen in the post season.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He hasn't turned the corner yet. The shoulder separation set him back as well.
Hopefully he cleans it up makes the next step by next season. But he is where I expected him to be.
Bears are doing better than expected this year so the Mitch expectation are inflating.
Whining day in day out on a message board won't change that.
Sit back, watch it play out.
If he turns a corner this season or post season then that is better than expected.
Anything can happen in the post season.
Fyi this place wouldnt exist without whining.

34_Bear

Liked Posts:
I think he will be okay; There were 7 interceptions between the two of them on a cold night in Chicago. Stupid penalties after the Smith interception screwed a chance for another TD. His overthrows have been a consistent fault this year but were fixed with more playing time. Unfortunately the running after not knowing where to go got him injured and the next few games will give a decent gauge of where he is at. I have faith because have to; there is no Walter Payton on this team.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
2:1 TD:INT ratio is generally considered very solid for NFL QBs.

If he goes 2:1 in the playoffs we will win a lot of games, considering our defense can shut down a team after a pick.

2:1 TD/Int ratio used to be solid. The bar has been raised. Probably 2.5:1 considered solid now. 3:1 ratios or better for the top QBs. Mahomes has nearly a 4:1 ratio. Watson a 2.4:1 and Trubisky a 1.75:1 proving again Bears moved up to draft the 3rd best QB in that draft. Have about a dozen QBs right now with 2.5:1 or better.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
2:1 TD/Int ratio used to be solid. The bar has been raised. Probably 2.5:1 considered solid now. 3:1 ratios or better for the top QBs. Mahomes has nearly a 4:1 ratio. Watson a 2.4:1 and Trubisky a 1.75:1 proving again Bears moved up to draft the 3rd best QB in that draft. Have about a dozen QBs right now with 2.5:1 or better.

Mahomes is the luckiest QB in the league.

EL ROCKSTEADY

CBMB Refugee
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
First of all, let me say that of course I am pulling for Trubs…. and yes, the win last night was outstanding! This post is not to rain on the parade but to take an objective look at what we are doing well versus what can hurt us as we move forward. What is our goal after-all?? The goal is to make the playoffs, advance in the playoffs and then win a Super Bowl. Period. The whole enchilada. So in looking at this team with respect to winning it all, you have to look at strengths.... and yes, weaknesses.

The bottom line is the team will take us as far as this defense takes us.... which means, we cannot turn the ball over with regularity because what does that do? Turning the ball over puts a defense in a situation to lose... giving the D short fields to defend... tiring out the D... etc., etc.

We have seen that movie playout too much to not know how it ends.

Here are the NUMBERS for Trubs: He has 21 TD's versus 12 interceptions. That means that for every 2 touchdown passes he throws, he throws 1 interception. 2 for 1. That is an unmitigated recipe for disaster. Trubs must get that corrected and he must do so in a hurry!!

Moreover, Trubs' inability to consistently throw the deep ball is a major problem that teams can exploit come playoff time.

Here are his NUMBERS: On passes traveling 16 or more yards in the air this season, Trubisky ranks 26th in passer rating (68.4) and 27th in Total QBR (56.6), with more interceptions (seven) than touchdowns (six). His deep passing numbers are abysmal. Come playoff time teams with ratchet up the pressure, cheat up and dare him to beat them deep. He has to hit that deep ball.... he has to make them pay for cheating up and he also has to hit the deep ball to keep the opposing D honest.

Fan boys commence with the hate and name calling.....

Reasonable, objective, non-mouth breathing fans.... what say you? Do you see this as a potential problem as we move forward? Or I am worried too much? Have the days of the Rex Grossman and Jay Cutler and how they killed us with the turnover jaded me too much?

As Bear fans.... WE ARE ALL PULLING FOR TRUBS..... but he simply has to get these problems corrected if we are going have a meaningful post-season.

while true, the way the bears are set up, they are winning even when he throws multiple picks. His accuracy needs work, But if he can not throw those picks that rams game would probably been a blow out. Few games left before the playoffs, I think I would rather not have him lose confidence in throwing down field. The good part is some of those picks were bad over throws to receivers in position to make the catch. Crazy to think the trubisky would seemingly be the weakness of our team, he still plays well enough to win and hes better than Grossman.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mahomes is the luckiest QB in the league.
He is a special kind of talent. He can make throws, off balance, that no other QB in the league can make. Being a former shortstop probably helped him gain that talent. His ability to read defenses is also far better than anyone would have expected early on in his career.

[video=youtube;867DeR27_JY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=867DeR27_JY&t=627s[/video]

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Sure it's a potential problem. But it's what the Bears have. There's no one better in the wings, and Trubisky has shown the ability to (1) learn and progressively get better, despite the ups and downs, and (2) have really good games in certain situations.

It also doesn't hurt that this defense is playing lights out and will help him out.

So in conclusion, yes, there's no arguing against the point that the QB position is a potential area of concern come playoff time versus other playoff teams. But the Bears gotta roll with it and Trubisky does have the ability. Just gotta hope it comes through when they need it most, because what's the alternative?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
2:1 TD:INT ratio is generally considered very solid for NFL QBs.

If he goes 2:1 in the playoffs we will win a lot of games, considering our defense can shut down a team after a pick.

You aren't wrong here but that's not really too helpful considering the fact when Mitch is off he does not go 2:1 rather 1:2 or 1:3 or 1:1 (either directly or reduced from 2:2).

I think the overall point here is when Mitch is off like Sunday vs. the Rams then Nagy can dial up a "Mitch is off" scheme whether it's feeding Howard or misdirection setting up short passes or whatever and that's fine especially if the defense is red hot like Sunday. But if the defense gets beat by an elite QB in the playoffs we could be facing a scenario where Mitch is off and Nagy has to scrap the "Mitch is off" scheme and hope that 10 catches fire when we need him to.

I think you yourself said as much when you stated if/when we lose in the playoffs, the most likely reason will be Mitch. When you qualify the 2:1 ratio as solid for NFL QBs you kind of undercut your own agreeing stance when you forget that the ratio in the playoffs most linked to success will be the ratio IN GAME not overall.

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I thought more interceptions than TDs was bad. Now it's more TDs than interceptions is bad?
Good thing Nagy doesn't call a lot of quick TDs or Trubisky would get blamed or tiring out the defense.

Bears fans just don't know how to be happy. Very likely have the best Bear QB ever. Deal with it.

A microcosm of the reason there are lots of fake debates every week in CCS. Happiness is subjective and not something that needs mandated by others for others. Also, many naysayers in 10 are happy as hell but again that is completely irrelevant to anything or anyone besides the individual. "Very likely have the best Bears QB ever"? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell and in the meantime, "dealing with it" remains to be a form of forced agreement to your belief that all others must share in order for you to be "happy" with other CCS members. Maybe as a CCS poster, you just don't know how to be happy?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
For me, the best thing he does right now is to NOT implode. He can have an off night and still lead them to a win, even if ugly. We haven't had a QB that can do that forever. We need, imo, to let him keep growing with the offense Nagy is bringing to the table, and we'll all be happy in the end. I believe Mitch is good now, but can still get a lot better. Been a while since we can say that, imo.

I agree and while I saw (albeit from my subjective view) a sense of panic and imploding in Mitch in the Week 1 collapse, I have never really gotten that sense ever since even in the L's. He deserves all the credit in the world for that imo and is the only evidence I have for a faith that he will grow more and develop into an elite QB. It's not much because everything is really going well this year, but that's no reason to not give him due props for keeping his head on week in and week out. Go Bears!

Toast88

Liked Posts:
He is a special kind of talent. He can make throws, off balance, that no other QB in the league can make. Being a former shortstop probably helped him gain that talent. His ability to read defenses is also far better than anyone would have expected early on in his career.

[video=youtube;867DeR27_JY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=867DeR27_JY&t=627s[/video]

Agree. I kind of don't get the "wait til the league has a year of tape on him" mindset. I'm honestly not seeing much in his game that's exploitable. Dude is just really fucking good.

He's excellent at reading defenses, looking off defenders, making the right decisions, and he can make throws no one else can make.

Hey look, guys. I live in Kansas City. I have no problem saying I wish Mahomes wasn't great. I wish he wasn't as good as Trubisky. I'm just being honest. But he is. He just is.

One of our local sports radio guys yesterday had a really good segment where he went through Mahomes college career, his scouting reports, etc., to look at any sign that we'd be getting *this* Pat Mahomes, and it's amazing---It just wasn't there. He couldn't beat a good school to save his life. He made some pretty blatant bad decisions at times. And he did not show the advanced level reading of defenses and manipulating of defenses that he shows now. It's truly amazing what he's been able to do in his short time in the NFL.

The things he's good at aren't things that can really be used against him or schemed against. And he's probably only going to get better.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I remember playing Baseball as a kid and one summer in my Junior year, my throwing just developed and I went from playing first base to third and pitching, and it was accurate, powerful and effortless.

I know that we would expect a QB in the NFL to already be at his highest level, but I just think that he has not yet found his motion, but I believe it is coming...

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I agree and while I saw (albeit from my subjective view) a sense of panic and imploding in Mitch in the Week 1 collapse, I have never really gotten that sense ever since even in the L's.

Yeah, while Trubisky has had times where he is inaccurate and a couple bad games (aka "blips"), aside from one half in Week 1 I've never gotten a feeling of "implosion" from Trubisky, which might be one of the best compliments to give him. I think the main reason for this is that Mitch can do a lot of things on his own...he can move in the pocket, he can run for 1st downs, he can find the open man. He has confidence in himself that he, personally, can make things happen.

Contrast that to Jay Cutler, who would "implode" once every three weeks. I don't think people realized how bad he was...he was completely dependent on everyone else doing their jobs in order to have success. If everything wasn't "just right" for Cutler, he'd go off the rails. The reason was because Cutler couldn't do anything on his own...he had terrible pocket presence, he never knew when to use his mobility, he made bad reads. That's why you'd have Cutler bitching about Webb not blocking, Martz not calling the right plays, Hester not fighting for the ball.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Doesn't really prove anything.

If you add in fumbles

Watson: 24 TDs, 17 TOs

Trubisky: 24 TDs, 16 TOs