Schwarber supposedly not on market. Seriously??

garapp

Liked Posts:
It's noble that the Cubs want to work with Russell and keep him.But not considering trading Schwarber is, IMO, a big mistake.To trade for talent you have to trade talent

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It's noble that the Cubs want to work with Russell and keep him.But not considering trading Schwarber is, IMO, a big mistake.To trade for talent you have to trade talent

The bottom line is that the Cubs hit 167 HR in 2018, over the last several year all of the CS and WS teams hit at least 200 (the Cubs hit 199 in 2016 but close enough). There are no 30 HR power guys on the trade market and only two on the FA market in Harper and Machado. You cannot trade Schwarber without signing one of those two. I agree with you on his trade value though as he was a 3.2 WAR player in 2018 and looks like he's getting better. He's a valuable piece, but he's valuable to the Cubs as they are currently constituted as well.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Trading Schwarber makes them worse.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
They've always believed there's magic in that bat and that he would turn out to be a better hitter than Bryant.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Cannot tell a guy to get in shape, work harder on his outfield defense, have him do that, and still have the manager pull him so everyone gets a participation trophy for being in the game, leaving your biggest home run bat on the bench in one run games.
Just cannot have both. We have watched Rizzo go 1-30 and play every day when the babe ruth of home runs that all fans will remember was Schwarber putting one on top of the scoreboard against a lefty.
Lets all remember that part of the problem was having Dexter fucking Fowler take away a year of his developmental baseball life because the fuck thought he had to run into left field to catch a fly ball.

I dont think it will take long before Schwarber wants out.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I don't look for the Cubs to make any big splashes for position players in free agency or trades. I think the Cubs brass feel the hitting coaching defeated the Cubs season and inserting the latest guy will change the results from last season.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They've always believed there's magic in that bat and that he would turn out to be a better hitter than Bryant.

Poor Comp Dunn more realistic coming out. Now Dunn with plus D.

If you go into it thinking that he is a .300 hitter you are being stupid. What he is is a .250 hitter because of his strike out rate but he will walk over 10% which pushes his OBA over .350 annually.

What makes him a 40 HR hitter is hitting for power vs lefties and finally figuring the shift. It comes down to that.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
A trade of Schwarber would all depend on what eh return was. If he isn't given or earn the opportunity to stay in versus top lefties then I think he should be used in a trade that brings someone else of value back. When the Cubs won the Series, Maddon went against his own theory and started Schwarber even though it was versus a good lefty. The Red Sox won the Series this year because they simply put their best 8/9 hitters out there instead "playing the numbers" like the Dodgers did.

I think that development will determine a good bit of if Maddon is brought back for 2020.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Without knowing the return that is a very naive statment

It would because most teams are viewing him as incomplete. He puts up a 5+ fWAR season that trade back fires.

I’m pretty sure that is why teams are hot on him because he is the next break out on the Cubs. Too much talent to think other wise.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
A trade of Schwarber would all depend on what eh return was. If he isn't given or earn the opportunity to stay in versus top lefties then I think he should be used in a trade that brings someone else of value back. When the Cubs won the Series, Maddon went against his own theory and started Schwarber even though it was versus a good lefty. The Red Sox won the Series this year because they simply put their best 8/9 hitters out there instead "playing the numbers" like the Dodgers did.

I think that development will determine a good bit of if Maddon is brought back for 2020.

I don’t see this glaring need that trading Schwarber fills.

Schwarber is still cheap. So no cap relief.

He didnt put up a season like Baez so you are not going to get a haul.

So no.

If you were concerned then think Rizzo and moving Bryant to 1B and Baez to 3B then take on Trulo to play MI with Russell returning. That kinda makes sense as a return point with getting quality talent in return.

But they are trying to win vs reload. So stupid topic anyways.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I don’t see this glaring need that trading Schwarber fills.

Schwarber is still cheap. So no cap relief.

He didnt put up a season like Baez so you are not going to get a haul.

So no.

If you were concerned then think Rizzo and moving Bryant to 1B and Baez to 3B then take on Trulo to play MI with Russell returning. That kinda makes sense as a return point with getting quality talent in return.

But they are trying to win vs reload. So stupid topic anyways.

I wouldn't be in favor of it unless it was something major. It would have to be something like a mega-multi-player deal, i.e. the Kluber trade, that also brought in payroll relief. The Cubs have other tradeable assets that would give payroll relief I'd want long before trading Schwarber. I'm just of the mindset that the only untradeable guys are the guys with NTC's. Guys can be virtually untradeable, but I'll listen to any idea because it might lead to other ideas that make more sense.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs really need a late inning lefty to replace Wilson. They have no one.

If Edwards doesn’t bounce back they have Alozay in AAA. So this is not a need.

So in the pen they need a lefty. Every thing else is fluff

Starting 8. The 2 spots that are indebate is CF and SS. And that point could also be solved internally.

Say Schwarber breaks out Rizzo and Bryant return to 5 WAR. Baez hovers 3-5 WAR. This is honestly a very realistic situation where you are getting 20 WAR out of these 4 hitters. The rest of the line up is built around them.

I’m sorry those 4 are your hitting core. You build around them.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Poor Comp Dunn more realistic coming out. Now Dunn with plus D.

If you go into it thinking that he is a .300 hitter you are being stupid. What he is is a .250 hitter because of his strike out rate but he will walk over 10% which pushes his OBA over .350 annually.

What makes him a 40 HR hitter is hitting for power vs lefties and finally figuring the shift. It comes down to that.

Babe Fucking Ruth.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But seriously

Prediction

Bryant 6 WAR
Rizzo 4.5 WAR
Baez 4.2 WAR
Schwarber 5.2 WAR

That is my prediction. These guys go 2-5 most of the season and crush it. As far as a lead off I believe it will end up Zobrist as a lefty in RF or 2B and Almora leads off in CF vs lefties with Heyward moves back to RF.

But in general

Zobrist
Bryant
Rizzo
Baez
Schwarber
Contreras
Heyward
Russell (when back and Almora absorbing AB’s until then)

Things could change if they go after Trulo but it really affects Almora and Russell’s playing time more so than anything.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons

What would be the advantage of announcing he's on the trade block?

Castor76

Liked Posts:
What would be the advantage of announcing he's on the trade block?

If there is one, it's that people would come to you with trade proposals. Much like the FA market, get someone to think there's at least one more buyer and the price can go up.

Goose22

Liked Posts:
Schwarber is a cheap player cost wise (Arb 1 year) and is under team control until 2022. He is only 25, has a tremendous upside, and has shown moments of being BIG TIME in BIG GAMES. No wonder several teams (according to the article) are showing interest in him. At this rate, the Cubs FO can afford to wait on his development and potential, especially when it comes time for the Rickett's family to cut checks each month. This may not be a "popular" opinion on this board, but I like Theo and Jed's thinking when it comes to trading him right now. Let's take a look at where he is in a year or two, unless there is an offer that is too good to pass up for the Cub's FO. There are too many other payroll eaters on the docket to be concerned with that would benefit trading or shedding in the short term and long term...IMHO! Go Cubs Go!

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Cubs really need a late inning lefty to replace Wilson. They have no one.

If Edwards doesn’t bounce back they have Alozay in AAA. So this is not a need.

I can go with, they have Norwood in AAA, but not Alzolay. Last thing I want is the one potential starter they may have developed over the past decade is put in a 7th inning role, then deemed too important to not move.