*NEW* Running Thread

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My race season was fucked. I had hip problems in April/May that killed off my 10k I had planned. I ran a race in late July but basically just used it as a tempo training run since I was so out of shape from missing April/May. June and July were great training months but I made a really bad mistake in that I started using my racing flats to train in. Fucked up my hamstring/hip and after a small 5k in early September(1st place finish) I tried to keep ramping my training up for my usual fall half marathon but the hip/hamstring gave out.

Just a stupid mistake on my part that cost me my fall peak racing time. Took some time off, got into a better stretching routine, got actual training shoes and two weeks ago got back at it for my winter power work. I'm on a treadmill 3 days a week(3,5, and 7 miles) and then lifting heavy the other 4 days of the week(2 upper and 2 lower). Everything feels great right now. Really encouraged. Looking forward to a good 2019 after a shitty 2018 running.

FWIW, Saucony Kinvara's are amazing training shoes and Altra Vanish is an amazing racing flat(just don't be an idiot and train in them).

Last edited:

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Ran in college. Quit after a long fight with knee issues that I couldn't seem to get over. Was also burnt out. Took about a 7 year hiatus, but started running again 6 months ago and feel good. Sticking to 25 miles/week and will probably never do more than that. Don't plan on ever racing again. Zero desire.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ran in college. Quit after a long fight with knee issues that I couldn't seem to get over. Was also burnt out. Took about a 7 year hiatus, but started running again 6 months ago and feel good. Sticking to 25 miles/week and will probably never do more than that. Don't plan on ever racing again. Zero desire.

What events in college?

What kind of knee issue? Fought IT band and patella issues after college for years but then started weight/strength training along with running and haven't had issues in like 5 years.

Also, not sure where you're located but if you're doing 25 miles a week and want a good social aspect to running check to see if your area has a local Hash House Harriers chapter. Fun drinking/running group.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Middle distance - 400s and 800s. I could jump up and do the 1600 and run 200s as well. Patellar tendinitis, IIRC. Just wouldn't go away and reduced my training down to an elliptical basically.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Middle distance - 400s and 800s. I could jump up and do the 1600 and run 200s as well. Patellar tendinitis, IIRC. Just wouldn't go away and reduced my training down to an elliptical basically.

Ahh the elliptical. My old patellar friend.

Mitchapalooza

I just run for fun or if I'm in a bad mood. Fuck running in the cold though. Summer night runs are the best.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I get shin splints anytime I try to run more than a short distance.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
So my wife and I are part of a running club that meets every week at a different bar. I don't really run races, but I'm going to attempt to do a 5k every month in '19.

Yesterday, I did 3.65 miles.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So my wife and I are part of a running club that meets every week at a different bar. I don't really run races, but I'm going to attempt to do a 5k every month in '19.

Yesterday, I did 3.65 miles.

Is it a Hash House Harriers group or just a random group of people?