Thread: How About Eliminating the All Star gAme and Giving Teams a Bye Week?

Veteran

Default How About Eliminating the All Star gAme and Giving Teams a Bye Week?

I hate All Star games in every sports as many do. I recently read about a concept some fans have suggested-eliminate the All Star gAme and give every team a 4 to 7 day bye week at different times of the season, sort of like the NFL. I like that idea

All-Star

I'd increase the active roster to 28-30 players and let teams have a 25 Man game roster and schedule a few double headers to take aweek off the season.

I would rather expand skill challenges during the all star week. I dont want to have floating bye weeks, take the same all star week off, but running, fielding, throwing to bases from the outfield, fastest pitch, those are the exciting things to watch in the other sports not the games. NHL has skill challenges, hardest shot and its much more fun than the games. NBA, pretty much the same.
    109 years since the last back to back world titles

Quote Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would rather expand skill challenges during the all star week. I dont want to have floating bye weeks, take the same all star week off, but running, fielding, throwing to bases from the outfield, fastest pitch, those are the exciting things to watch in the other sports not the games. NHL has skill challenges, hardest shot and its much more fun than the games. NBA, pretty much the same.
    And Baseball did that right around 1990 or so. I miss that. Great call!
    Hidden Content
    Follow Me on Twitter: @sportsdream - Sports Tweets, Life, God, etc.

CCS Donator

I'd consider having the AS game/week after the season is over and let the players have a week off in the middle of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    I'd consider having the AS game/week after the season is over and let the players have a week off in the middle of the season.
    In a dome in the middle of november?

CCS Donator

In a dome in the middle of november?
    Such smalltime thinking. The pros are absolutely worn out by the end of the season and need rest. Entice them and their families to a vacation in a great climate to play the game, much like the Pro Bowl is in Hawaii. Take the game to the Dominican Republic or Japan. Make it really interesting for the players.

I’m pretty sure that MLB makes profit hand over fist that break. If there wasn’t truck loads of cash then it would have died. SDP got a new stadium due to MLB calling out their old stadium and telling them no more ASG bids due to the poor facilities. Chargers pulled out and it is looking like a new SDSU dorm center.

So end of the story is profit drives decisions.

4th Generation Gaggler Gustavus Adolphus's Avatar

Every ASG, in every sport should be cancelled.
    My Current Alts
    1. HeHateMe
    2. Novak
    3. Warden of the Northeast
    4. Teddy KGB
    5. brett05
    6. BearDen

Anyways. It is a circus show. Old timers/skills/players play 2 innings on a exhibition. It really is no big deal honestly. They make some cash and the home city takes in a bunch. Some smaller markets finally turn a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Parade_Rain View Post
    Such smalltime thinking. The pros are absolutely worn out by the end of the season and need rest. Entice them and their families to a vacation in a great climate to play the game, much like the Pro Bowl is in Hawaii. Take the game to the Dominican Republic or Japan. Make it really interesting for the players.
    The probowl has been in Florida for a while now. It is played the weekend before the superbowl and the all stars from the super bowl teams do not play, so the all star game would not have representatives from the world series teams. I am sure the last things players want after a 162 game season is another baseball game.

CCS Donator

The probowl has been in Florida for a while now. It is played the weekend before the superbowl and the all stars from the super bowl teams do not play, so the all star game would not have representatives from the world series teams. I am sure the last things players want after a 162 game season is another baseball game.
    Kmowing some of them as I do, they don't. What does that have to do with an All Star game? Nothing.

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by garapp View Post
    I hate All Star games in every sports as many do. I recently read about a concept some fans have suggested-eliminate the All Star gAme and give every team a 4 to 7 day bye week at different times of the season, sort of like the NFL. I like that idea
    Players don't have to play in the all-star game. They can decline.