Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 23 to 44 of 98

Thread: In review

  1. #23
    All-Star Rory Sparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by modo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bears were 4-1 against teams with winning records....I think that is what you are referencing

    all but 1 win was at home...that really isn't out of the ordinary though.
    Bears peaked in Minnesota for some reason...had nothing left in the tank against Philly in the playoffs. Poor coaching.

  2. #24
    Urblocks Wife Got a Raise Gustavus Adolphus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    26,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy KGB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In 2001, you could tell it was smoke and mirrors. So many flukish things happened, and going into that playoff game, I knew the Bears would get killed. 2001 is still one of my all time favorite seasons from an entertainment standpoint.

    This season?

    NOT a fluke - a 5-1 regular season record against teams that made the playoffs, and no game lost by more than a TD should tell people that, as well as the number of Bears that are pro bowl /all pro.

    No, this season is the start of something. The Bears with a harder schedule next year could win less games, but still be progressing, as I expect them to be back in the playoffs.
    You're missed in the thread that was made for you.
    My Current Alts
    1. HeHateMe
    2. Novak
    3. Warden of the Northeast
    4. Teddy KGB
    5. brett05
    6. BearDen

  3. #25
    Cultural Icon Teddy KGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by modo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bears were 4-1 against teams with winning records....I think that is what you are referencing

    all but 1 win was at home...that really isn't out of the ordinary though.
    Yes sorry. That is what I meant a reference. But I remember at the time when seeing that stat, while you say that isn't out of the ordinary, other teams vs teams w winning records in the NFC were closer to 500 or worse.

    The Bears stood Head and shoulders above the other teams.

  4. #26
    Yippie Ki-Yay modo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, Fucking Colorado
    Posts
    17,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy KGB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes sorry. That is what I meant a reference. But I remember at the time when seeing that stat, while you say that isn't out of the ordinary, other teams vs teams w winning records in the NFC were closer to 500 or worse.

    The Bears stood Head and shoulders above the other teams.

    It isn't a great sample size, but it does show that the Bears could play with anyone last year.

  5. #27
    Cultural Icon Teddy KGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by modo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It isn't a great sample size, but it does show that the Bears could play with anyone last year.
    And here is the thing. they did it while the entire offensive side of the ball was still learning the playbook in year one.

    That technically should be the worst year of the Matt Nagy offense, and we pulled off "THAT"?

    With Vic leaving and Todd bowles off the board, I would not be surprised to see a little bit more regression on the defense but nothing major. But I also expect the offense 2 more than pick up slack.

    On the whole going into next year it's a more complete team, even with the changing DC. Success will lead to coordinators being poached. Look at how many times the Ravens have had their defensive coordinator taken for a head coaching job, and yet still maintain a top defense.

    This is the general idea we are going to have to get used to if the bears become successful. And at some point the offense is going to have to take over the reins. If we take Matt Nagy at face value, that will likely be in year 3, with some improvement coming this year.

    all in all I think the year was good experience for a first-year head coach and a very raw quarterback who has a lot of potential.

    I get it sucked how the season ended, but instead of getting emotional people need to take a step back and realize this isn't a one-and-done like 2001. there is something being built here and with the number of young guys on our roster I have a feeling this team is going to be competitive for quite some time.

    In the off-season, I would make the main priority drafting some offensive line talent for Harry Hiestand to develop. Out of all the units the Bears have, the offensive line, while average, needs to be the one that improves the most.

    I would follow that up by also taking a running back or possibly signing a running back in free agency.

    And given the cap space I would not be opposed to the Bears getting creative and possibly say, trading Jordan Howard and Kyle long in a package deal for a 3rd or 4th round pick. I have loved both of these guys in the past, but I worry Kyle may drop off soon and Jordan just isn't a fit.

    I think Massie is allowed to walk and theytake that developmental projects they converted over from the defense to offense of tackle and plug him in. Heard a lot of good things about that guy.

    Not sure if they leave Daniels in at the other side or move him to center and kick Cody out to guard. I felt like Cody was at his best at guard oh, and he had a rough start to the season, but he actually played really well in some of those blocking concepts towards the end of the year.

  6. #28
    Yippie Ki-Yay modo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, Fucking Colorado
    Posts
    17,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rory Sparrow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bears peaked in Minnesota for some reason...had nothing left in the tank against Philly in the playoffs. Poor coaching.

    The Philly game was poop in the first half. I think he came out expecting the defense to shut down Philly and the Bears to control the clock.....Phillys D cut off the short pass effectively and gave little margin for error. The Bears oline was not as effective at giving enough time early for the small amount of long passes they tried and did no favors in the run game.

    The Bears finally got their deep passing game going which should have happened sooner but it just wasn't enough.

  7. #29
    Urblocks Wife Got a Raise Gustavus Adolphus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    26,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by modo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Philly game was poop in the first half. I think he came out expecting the defense to shut down Philly and the Bears to control the clock.....Phillys D cut off the short pass effectively and gave little margin for error. The Bears oline was not as effective at giving enough time early for the small amount of long passes they tried and did no favors in the run game.

    The Bears finally got their deep passing game going which should have happened sooner but it just wasn't enough.
    Can you direct Teddy KGB to the thread in the bar? I fear he might have me on ignore.
    My Current Alts
    1. HeHateMe
    2. Novak
    3. Warden of the Northeast
    4. Teddy KGB
    5. brett05
    6. BearDen

  8. #30
    All-Star Mdbearz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    West of Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,954

    Default

    Great Seasons both of them, but I am excited about next year, BUT Fangio moving on does concern me.

    I know no one wants to hear this, but the defense also had a couple of shots to win the game and came up short allowing a late TD after we took the lead....

    If we are going to be competitive next year then Trubisky/Nagy need to make a dramatic improvement similar to Goff and Wentz did in their second year of a similar offense. I know, I know Trubisky will be in his third year, but I simply do not give Fox any credit for developing Trubisky AT ALL in his first year.

  9. #31
    All-Star Rory Sparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mdbearz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know, I know Trubisky will be in his third year, but I simply do not give Fox any credit for developing Trubisky AT ALL in his first year.
    Hard for Fox to develop Trubisky when it was Mike Glennon's year, tho

  10. #32
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    30,420

    Default

    Disappointing year for me. Sorry. After getting Mack and a No 1 D, I honestly expected more from our offensive guru. Yes 12-4 was great but I honestly think we missed out on a legit SB run because of easily correctable issues with the offense that persisted for much of the year.

    If we learn from this and make that SB run next year then that will limit the sting. But with a tight cap next year, potential regression on D particularly in turnovers, and no guarantee the O can ever be worthy of this D, it is entirely possible we end up looking back 5 years from now and saying 2018 was a massive missed opportunity.

  11. #33
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hebs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nagy played it too close to the vest to protect Mitch from making a mistake due to the high stakes. He got in his own head and played not to lose. Close games like that can easily go either way.
    Yeah he waited until the second half to open it up. It seems like he was only doing that because they got down. First half it was more about dump offs and wide receiver screens. This is why having a great defense is sort of a blessing and a curse. When you have such a great defense, the offensive gameplan becomes "just be safe and don't turn the ball over." Next year they will need to go for the jugular from the beginning to the end of the game.

  12. #34
    Yippie Ki-Yay modo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, Fucking Colorado
    Posts
    17,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Disappointing year for me. Sorry. After getting Mack and a No 1 D, I honestly expected more from our offensive guru. Yes 12-4 was great but I honestly think we missed out on a legit SB run because of easily correctable issues with the offense that persisted for much of the year.

    If we learn from this and make that SB run next year then that will limit the sting. But with a tight cap next year, potential regression on D particularly in turnovers, and no guarantee the O can ever be worthy of this D, it is entirely possible we end up looking back 5 years from now and saying 2018 was a massive missed opportunity.
    I call bullshit.....

    you are disappointed at 12-4 with the only difference being Mack. I don't think you predicting a winning season before the Mack trade and just adding Mack you expected the Bears should have been better than 12-4 and winning the division......bullshit.

    I'll give you a little leeway on the offense, but as you have stated in the past you judge QBs on points scored. The Bears offense went from 14.4 points a game to 23.1 points a game....this is after defense scores removed

    They went from .283 points scored per play in 2017 to .405 points scored per play. And before you cry turnovers as the big difference, the Bears offense was dead last in yards per drive last year and went to 16th....that is a 16 team jump in the first year of an offense. The Bears had only 1 more offensive drive in 2018 than in 2017. The average start of a drive in 2017 was on the 27 yard line, in 2018 it was the 29 yard line......so they gained about 2 net yards on those turnovers per drive....

    They were the second worst in points scored per game last year to 12th best this year....what jump were you expecting that 12th is disappointing? A jump of 19 slots in one year. Did you expect them to be a top 5 scoring offense the first year?

  13. #35
    President Stoopid Pegger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Communist Canada
    Posts
    4,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bullshit. Lost in your narrative is the fact they ultimately lost cause their shit kicker doinked a fg after being iced like the bitch he is. Lost in your narrative is the fact their MVP did not play and neither did their gutless starting TE.
    I also heard you were cheering like a pussy. You weren't like "F_CK YEAH! LET'S EAT THEIR SOULS".

    You were more like: "gosh I really hope they do well!"
    Get your mind out of the gutter...

  14. #36
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Each week with each win expectations ramped up.
    Everyone went from “maybe they’ll be 8-8” to “maybe they’ll win a wildcard berth” etc etc.
    The same happened with Trubisky, people just wanted progress, then they wanted a “Goff-like” jump, then they wanted him to win playoff games.
    With both the Bears and Trubisky fans kept moving the goalposts, maybe that’s why the field goal kicker had so many problems


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  15. #37
    The Truth Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    27,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pegger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I also heard you were cheering like a pussy. You weren't like "F_CK YEAH! LET'S EAT THEIR SOULS".

    You were more like: "gosh I really hope they do well!"
    WTF? You girls are delusional... and real stupid.

  16. #38
    Yippie Ki-Yay modo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, Fucking Colorado
    Posts
    17,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iffybiz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Each week with each win expectations ramped up.
    Everyone went from “maybe they’ll be 8-8” to “maybe they’ll win a wildcard berth” etc etc.
    The same happened with Trubisky, people just wanted progress, then they wanted a “Goff-like” jump, then they wanted him to win playoff games.
    With both the Bears and Trubisky fans kept moving the goalposts, maybe that’s why the field goal kicker had so many problems


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah. Unless you were an eternal unrealistic optimist a 12-4 record and winning the division were over most peoples expectations...as the season went on and you saw glimpses of what could be the expectations then grew well past what the beginning year expectations were...that is is kind of human nature.

    The defense went from good to great and the offense went from league worst to slightly above average.

    To make a short analogy long, lets say you went to Best Buy expecting a 10% discount on something.....when you got to the store you saw there was a 50% discount on the item you wanted, but that the sale had ended. Now it was only a 25% discount. Technically better than the 10% you expected but less than what could have been if you got there earlier....should you be pissed?

  17. #39
    Captain Objectivity bearmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    30,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gustavus Adolphus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could you, in no less than 500 words, give an assessment on Trubisky's year, and his career outlook?
    Middling.

  18. #40
    Urblocks Wife Got a Raise Gustavus Adolphus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    26,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bearmick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Middling.
    499 to go.
    My Current Alts
    1. HeHateMe
    2. Novak
    3. Warden of the Northeast
    4. Teddy KGB
    5. brett05
    6. BearDen

  19. #41
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    30,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by modo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I call bullshit.....

    you are disappointed at 12-4 with the only difference being Mack. I don't think you predicting a winning season before the Mack trade and just adding Mack you expected the Bears should have been better than 12-4 and winning the division......bullshit.

    I'll give you a little leeway on the offense, but as you have stated in the past you judge QBs on points scored. The Bears offense went from 14.4 points a game to 23.1 points a game....this is after defense scores removed

    They went from .283 points scored per play in 2017 to .405 points scored per play. And before you cry turnovers as the big difference, the Bears offense was dead last in yards per drive last year and went to 16th....that is a 16 team jump in the first year of an offense. The Bears had only 1 more offensive drive in 2018 than in 2017. The average start of a drive in 2017 was on the 27 yard line, in 2018 it was the 29 yard line......so they gained about 2 net yards on those turnovers per drive....

    They were the second worst in points scored per game last year to 12th best this year....what jump were you expecting that 12th is disappointing? A jump of 19 slots in one year. Did you expect them to be a top 5 scoring offense the first year?
    I said in the Mack thread after adding Mack that if Trubs is the real deal that we were serious playoff contender. I have posted the posts several times over the past several months as posters with low expectations keep claiming bullshit as you just did. Feel free to go find the Mack thread as search function currently disabled or go ask Sugarwalls as he made this false claim several times and I posted my posts from the Mack thread to refute his bullshit claims.

    That aside, the disappointment comes from losing a winnable playoff game. I don't care about how they did over the course of the year. They lost a playoff game against a pretty mediocre Eagles team with the offense putting up 15 points. I could understand bowing out to the Saints or Rams but no will never accept bowing out to a lesser team where the offensive genius Nagy's offense only managed 15 points. Don't really give a shit about how many points they scored against scrubs in the regular season. His offense failed at the most critical time of the postseason.

    In addition, I am not sure why you are comparing to 2017. This is historically a pretty shitty franchise and yes it is disappointing that in a year we finally made the playoffs, we shit the bed. I have no desire to praise them for improving upon an abysmal season last year nor am I going to celebrate 1 playoff appearance in the last 8 years. I don't begrudge others with low expectations that they are simply content with making the playoffs but no I will never be content with such an outcome. This team could have easily competed for a SB this year and we fucked it up. That is why I am disappointed. Period. End of Story.

  20. #42
    Captain Objectivity bearmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    30,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gustavus Adolphus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    499 to go.
    I'm trying to not cause any drama or butthurt.

    By the way, for the newest version of Tapatalk, does anyone know how to disable notifications and change your sig so it omits the line about you sending the message from your phone?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  21. #43
    Urblocks Wife Got a Raise Gustavus Adolphus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    26,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bearmick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm trying to not cause any drama or butthurt.
    They're going to be butthurt no matter what.
    My Current Alts
    1. HeHateMe
    2. Novak
    3. Warden of the Northeast
    4. Teddy KGB
    5. brett05
    6. BearDen

  22. #44
    Captain Objectivity bearmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    30,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by modo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    The 2018 Bears steadily improved as the year went on.
    Not sure about offensively. They scored 235 points in the first half of the season, 186 in the second.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •