Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 45 to 66 of 98

Thread: In review

  1. #45
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    722

    Default

    I do like the comparison to the 2001 season, although I would bet this team is significantly younger and that gives me hope that there wont be a 2002-2005 type "dip in performance" that followed after the 2001 season.

  2. #46
    Yippie Ki-Yay modo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, Fucking Colorado
    Posts
    17,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I said in the Mack thread after adding Mack that if Trubs is the real deal that we were serious playoff contender. I have posted the posts several times over the past several months as posters with low expectations keep claiming bullshit as you just did. Feel free to go find the Mack thread as search function currently disabled or go ask Sugarwalls as he made this false claim several times and I posted my posts from the Mack thread to refute his bullshit claims.

    That aside, the disappointment comes from losing a winnable playoff game. I don't care about how they did over the course of the year. They lost a playoff game against a pretty mediocre Eagles team with the offense putting up 15 points. I could understand bowing out to the Saints or Rams but no will never accept bowing out to a lesser team where the offensive genius Nagy's offense only managed 15 points. Don't really give a shit about how many points they scored against scrubs in the regular season. His offense failed at the most critical time of the postseason.

    In addition, I am not sure why you are comparing to 2017. This is historically a pretty shitty franchise and yes it is disappointing that in a year we finally made the playoffs, we shit the bed. I have no desire to praise them for improving upon an abysmal season last year nor am I going to celebrate 1 playoff appearance in the last 8 years. I don't begrudge others with low expectations that they are simply content with making the playoffs but no I will never be content with such an outcome. This team could have easily competed for a SB this year and we fucked it up. That is why I am disappointed. Period. End of Story.

    What does serious playoff contender mean?

    To me it sounds like we are serious contending for a playoff spot which we did.

    Why would I not compare it to 2017? That is how you measure growth from one year to another.

    It sounds like your expectations grew throughout the year even though they probably surpassed what you expected at the beginning.

  3. #47
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    30,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by modo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What does serious playoff contender mean?

    To me it sounds like we are serious contending for a playoff spot which we did.

    Why would I not compare it to 2017? That is how you measure growth from one year to another.

    It sounds like your expectations grew throughout the year even though they probably surpassed what you expected at the beginning.
    I never said anything about measuring growth from one year to the next. The thread is about our review of this year and I gave it based on my thought process not yours. If you want to compare to 2017 then that is your right and that is your Review of the year.

    My review of the year is based on what I considered to be the team's potential and whether they met it. This was a SB championship caliber team IMO that failed to win a single playoff game so overall that is disappointing to me. However again, you are free to feel however you want based on your own evaluation but trying to tell me how I should feel or force me to measure based on your criteria is just odd.

    And sure this team was better than I perhaps expected at the start of the year. That doesn't not mean I shouldn't be disappointed because nothing is static. If my expectations changed then that means I can now be disappointed based on those new expectations. That is kind of how life works.

    This would be like saying I found an painting and I thought it was worth 1,000 bucks. I took it to an appraiser and he says it is worth 1 million and you telling me I should be content with accepting 100k because that exceeds what I originally thought. That is absurd to me. My judgement on whether I am content is based on the new 1 million appraised value ie after watching the team play not my speculative opinion regarding how good they were on paper.

  4. #48
    The Truth Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    27,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bearmick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm trying to not cause any drama or butthurt.

    By the way, for the newest version of Tapatalk, does anyone know how to disable notifications and change your sig so it omits the line about you sending the message from your phone?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Go to me > settings > Push Notifications and Signature

  5. #49
    Captain Objectivity bearmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    30,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Go to me > settings > Push Notifications and Signature
    Just figured it out, thanks

  6. #50
    Yippie Ki-Yay modo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, Fucking Colorado
    Posts
    17,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bearmick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure about offensively. They scored 235 points in the first half of the season, 186 in the second.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

    They won more games in the second half than the first.

    I don't count a ton points scored in a losing effort necessarily better than less points scored in a winning effort.

  7. #51
    Captain Objectivity bearmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    30,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by modo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They won more games in the second half than the first.

    I don't count a ton points scored in a losing effort necessarily better than less points scored in a winning effort.
    Fair enough.

  8. #52
    Captain Objectivity bearmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    30,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HearshotKDS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do like the comparison to the 2001 season, although I would bet this team is significantly younger and that gives me hope that there wont be a 2002-2005 type "dip in performance" that followed after the 2001 season.
    I agree.

  9. #53
    Yippie Ki-Yay modo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, Fucking Colorado
    Posts
    17,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never said anything about measuring growth from one year to the next. The thread is about our review of this year and I gave it based on my thought process not yours. If you want to compare to 2017 then that is your right and that is your Review of the year.

    My review of the year is based on what I considered to be the team's potential and whether they met it. This was a SB championship caliber team IMO that failed to win a single playoff game so overall that is disappointing to me. However again, you are free to feel however you want based on your own evaluation but trying to tell me how I should feel or force me to measure based on your criteria is just odd.

    You said you expected our offense to be better than it was....Did you honestly expect the offense to go from second to last in points scored to better than where it would up which is 12th....just curious on your expectations. Because if you expected a better offense that would have been one hell of a swing you were expecting.

    What point total per game did your expectations desire?

  10. #54
    President Stoopid Pegger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Communist Canada
    Posts
    4,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    WTF? You girls are delusional... and real stupid.
    Let me explain. Your response was fairly aggressive and had a lot of finger pointing. I wanted to reply in an overly aggressive manner suggesting that it was actually your weak cheering ultimately determined the outcome of the game.

    Clearly there is no way I would have known how you cheered and it's not realistic to expect that one fan's cheering style has any barring on the game.

    It was what many of us call a 'joke'. I understand that sarcasm is often lost in text, so I tried to highlight this by making certain words in a larger, red font and others in smaller, light purple, but it appears this was not received on your end.

    Going forward I'll take note that you take yourself fairly seriously and don't really like that kind of humor.

    We good?
    Get your mind out of the gutter...

  11. #55
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    30,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by modo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You said you expected our offense to be better than it was....Did you honestly expect the offense to go from second to last in points scored to better than where it would up which is 12th....just curious on your expectations. Because if you expected a better offense that would have been one hell of a swing you were expecting.

    What point total per game did your expectations desire?
    More than 15 points in the playoffs against a mediocre D. I thought I made it quite clear my disappointment has nothing to do with average points for the year against shitty teams. It has to do with the offensive genius Matt Nagy scoring like a John Fox offense in the playoffs. I don't care if the Bears were the No 1 scoring offense in the regular season if they then shit the bed and score 15 in the playoffs.

    In fact, the fact they scored well below their regular season average in a shitty playoff loss is precisely why I am disappointed. Once again, the team did not live up to it's potential. If they had played well and lost then I would just consider that shitty luck. It is the way they lost with 15 anemic points on offense that is disappointing. I truly and sick and tired of the Bears always having to try and win it on Defense and 15 points is simply not acceptable for an offensive minded HC. It simply is not.

  12. #56
    Yippie Ki-Yay modo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, Fucking Colorado
    Posts
    17,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More than 15 points in the playoffs against a mediocre D. I thought I made it quite clear my disappointment has nothing to do with average points for the year against shitty teams. It has to do with the offensive genius Matt Nagy scoring like a John Fox offense in the playoffs. I don't care if the Bears were the No 1 scoring offense in the regular season if they then shit the bed and score 15 in the playoffs.

    In fact, the fact they scored well below their regular season average in a shitty playoff loss is precisely why I am disappointed. Once again, the team did not live up to it's potential. If they had played well and lost then I would just consider that shitty luck. It is the way they lost with 15 anemic points on offense that is disappointing. I truly and sick and tired of the Bears always having to try and win it on Defense and 15 points is simply not acceptable for an offensive minded HC. It simply is not.
    You are straying off target worse than a Parkey kick....that isn't what we were discussing.

    You said that 12-4, winning the division, but losing the first round in the playoffs did not meet your expectations at the beginning of the season.

    You also said the offense scoring 24.4 points a game, good for 12th in the league did not meet your expectations at the beginning of the season.

    How deep did you expect the Bears to go into the playoffs at the beginning of the season and how many points did you expect this team to score per game?

  13. #57
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    30,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by modo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are straying off target worse than a Parkey kick....that isn't what we were discussing.

    You said that 12-4, winning the division, but losing the first round in the playoffs did not meet your expectations at the beginning of the season.

    You also said the offense scoring 24.4 points a game, good for 12th in the league did not meet your expectations at the beginning of the season.

    How deep did you expect the Bears to go into the playoffs at the beginning of the season and how many points did you expect this team to score per game?
    No this is what I said.

    Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Disappointing year for me. Sorry. After getting Mack and a No 1 D, I honestly expected more from our offensive guru. Yes 12-4 was great but I honestly think we missed out on a legit SB run because of easily correctable issues with the offense that persisted for much of the year.

    If we learn from this and make that SB run next year then that will limit the sting. But with a tight cap next year, potential regression on D particularly in turnovers, and no guarantee the O can ever be worthy of this D, it is entirely possible we end up looking back 5 years from now and saying 2018 was a massive missed opportunity.
    The bolded statements were a continuation of each other. My expecting more from our offensive guru was in reference to his not correcting the issues with the offense that ultimately led to 15 points in the playoffs. I said nothing about the average points for the year and when you tried to make that link I corrected you as follows.

    Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That aside, the disappointment comes from losing a winnable playoff game. I don't care about how they did over the course of the year. They lost a playoff game against a pretty mediocre Eagles team with the offense putting up 15 points. I could understand bowing out to the Saints or Rams but no will never accept bowing out to a lesser team where the offensive genius Nagy's offense only managed 15 points. Don't really give a shit about how many points they scored against scrubs in the regular season. His offense failed at the most critical time of the postseason.
    So not sure what to tell you. You are trying to impose your interpretation of my comments onto me. I don't give a fuck how many points we averaged in the regular season. For the latter half of the year when we were putting up 15 on the Rams or 14 on the Niners I was complaining about the lack of offense and all sorts of posters were calling me a hater and saying be happy with the win. Then we scored 15 against the Eagles and now sitting at home.

    I absolutely never said what you claim about the offense You misread my posts and keep disregarding me trying to correct your misreading. The Bears could have averaged 50 points during the regular season and I would be even more disappointed they shit the bed and only scored 15 in the playoffs when it counted.

  14. #58
    The Truth Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    27,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pegger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let me explain. Your response was fairly aggressive and had a lot of finger pointing. I wanted to reply in an overly aggressive manner suggesting that it was actually your weak cheering ultimately determined the outcome of the game.

    Clearly there is no way I would have known how you cheered and it's not realistic to expect that one fan's cheering style has any barring on the game.

    It was what many of us call a 'joke'. I understand that sarcasm is often lost in text, so I tried to highlight this by making certain words in a larger, red font and others in smaller, light purple, but it appears this was not received on your end.

    Going forward I'll take note that you take yourself fairly seriously and don't really like that kind of humor.

    We good?
    Maybe there was no humor in to be found in the first place.

  15. #59
    Yippie Ki-Yay modo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, Fucking Colorado
    Posts
    17,664

    Default

    Remy.

    Disappointing year for me.

    You said the above.......Did you expect more from this year at the beginning or did you expectations grow as the year went on. It is a little confusing because If someone told me at the beginning of the year they'd go 12-4 and win the division it would not have been disappointed.

    I am disappointed that they lost the game, but they still exceeded my initial expectations at the beginning of the year.

    So which is it? Honestly I am curious...did they exceed your beginning of the year expectations or not. I'd like a frame of reference for your Disappointing year.

  16. #60
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    30,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by modo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Remy.

    Disappointing year for me.

    You said the above.......Did you expect more from this year at the beginning or did you expectations grow as the year went on. It is a little confusing because If someone told me at the beginning of the year they'd go 12-4 and win the division it would not have been disappointed.

    I am disappointed that they lost the game, but they still exceeded my initial expectations at the beginning of the year.

    So which is it? Honestly I am curious...did they exceed your beginning of the year expectations or not. I'd like a frame of reference for your Disappointing year.
    I thought I already answered this.

    After the addition of Mack, I thought they were a playoff contender. How far they went in the playoffs was unknowable at that time as it is just paper.

    However, after watching the team play and seeing how the talent came together this was easily one of the more complete teams in the NFL and for me a SB contender. So yes my expectations did increase because paper is just paper. You can't legit know how good a team is until they play.

    Where we differ is you seem to think one is beholden to their original expectations. Again let's use the example of the painting. If I saw a painting I thought was worth 1,000 but then it appraised for 1 million, why would I accept 100k as payment? You would seem to argue that since I only thought it was worth 1k I should be ecstatic about the 100k. However, it is obvious my initial expectation was based on imperfect info and it is clear I now know the painting is worth 1 million so why would I be satisfied with 100k?

    This is the difference in our approach. I may have only expected 1k from the Bears to start but that was an imperfect expectation based on how a team looks on paper. The Bears were then appraised over the course of the season and I came to realize they were much better than my incorrect assumption. I thought they were a playoff contender at the start but I realized they were actually a SB contender based on their talent relative to their competition.

    However, in the end they lost in the first 1 to a team they were much better than IMO. So I am left with 100k season when I know in my heart this team was capable of a 1 million season. That is disappointing to me and I have no reason to ignore how good I saw them be over the course of the year and go back to my imperfect assessment of them based on names on a paper at the start of the year. However, if you was to base your assessment on your initial thoughts then do you. I don't care but you can't force others to feel the same way. Just chalk it up to you and I have different ways of evaluating things which is fine.

  17. #61
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I said in the Mack thread after adding Mack that if Trubs is the real deal that we were serious playoff contender. I have posted the posts several times over the past several months as posters with low expectations keep claiming bullshit as you just did. Feel free to go find the Mack thread as search function currently disabled or go ask Sugarwalls as he made this false claim several times and I posted my posts from the Mack thread to refute his bullshit claims.

    That aside, the disappointment comes from losing a winnable playoff game. I don't care about how they did over the course of the year. They lost a playoff game against a pretty mediocre Eagles team with the offense putting up 15 points. I could understand bowing out to the Saints or Rams but no will never accept bowing out to a lesser team where the offensive genius Nagy's offense only managed 15 points. Don't really give a shit about how many points they scored against scrubs in the regular season. His offense failed at the most critical time of the postseason.

    In addition, I am not sure why you are comparing to 2017. This is historically a pretty shitty franchise and yes it is disappointing that in a year we finally made the playoffs, we shit the bed. I have no desire to praise them for improving upon an abysmal season last year nor am I going to celebrate 1 playoff appearance in the last 8 years. I don't begrudge others with low expectations that they are simply content with making the playoffs but no I will never be content with such an outcome. This team could have easily competed for a SB this year and we fucked it up. That is why I am disappointed. Period. End of Story.
    Glass half empty look at it.

  18. #62
    Yippie Ki-Yay modo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, Fucking Colorado
    Posts
    17,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought I already answered this.

    After the addition of Mack, I thought they were a playoff contender. How far they went in the playoffs was unknowable at that time as it is just paper.

    However, after watching the team play and seeing how the talent came together this was easily one of the more complete teams in the NFL and for me a SB contender. So yes my expectations did increase because paper is just paper. You can't legit know how good a team is until they play.

    Where we differ is you seem to think one is beholden to their original expectations. Again let's use the example of the painting. If I saw a painting I thought was worth 1,000 but then it appraised for 1 million, why would I accept 100k as payment? You would seem to argue that since I only thought it was worth 1k I should be ecstatic about the 100k. However, it is obvious my initial expectation was based on imperfect info and it is clear I now know the painting is worth 1 million so why would I be satisfied with 100k?

    This is the difference in our approach. I may have only expected 1k from the Bears to start but that was an imperfect expectation based on how a team looks on paper. The Bears were then appraised over the course of the season and I came to realize they were much better than my incorrect assumption. I thought they were a playoff contender at the start but I realized they were actually a SB contender based on their talent relative to their competition.

    However, in the end they lost in the first 1 to a team they were much better than IMO. So I am left with 100k season when I know in my heart this team was capable of a 1 million season. That is disappointing to me and I have no reason to ignore how good I saw them be over the course of the year and go back to my imperfect assessment of them based on names on a paper at the start of the year. However, if you was to base your assessment on your initial thoughts then do you. I don't care but you can't force others to feel the same way. Just chalk it up to you and I have different ways of evaluating things which is fine.

    Sounds like it be fair enough to say that they exceeded your expectations that you had at the beginning of the year, but as the year went on you expected more

  19. #63
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    30,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by didshereallysaythat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Glass half empty look at it.
    And if it is so what. If you want to be glass half full then that is your choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by modo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like it be fair enough to say that they exceeded your expectations that you had at the beginning of the year, but as the year went on you expected more
    Sure you can say that although from my perspective it is irrelevant. Once my expectations change, there is no real point in my measuring against old expectations. I don't do that in any other area of my life so why would I do that here.

  20. #64
    Rookie Urlacher_24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    10

    Default

    The Bears definitely far exceeded my expectations this year. At the start of the season I was hoping for improvement from last year. So basically was thinking 8-8 or 9-7 tops and possible playoffs next year (2019). I was hoping to see improvement in Trubisky from last year which I feel definitely happened so I'm happy with how he's progressing. While the end of the season sucked overall I'm very happy with how everyone (other than the kicker) has improved this year as a team.

  21. #65
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And if it is so what. If you want to be glass half full then that is your choice.



    Sure you can say that although from my perspective it is irrelevant. Once my expectations change, there is no real point in my measuring against old expectations. I don't do that in any other area of my life so why would I do that here.
    If the Eagles game was the Superbowl and we lost like we did when we were the better team, then I would be as disappointed as you.

    Looking at it realistically though, we had a very young QB who still needs to grow. Had we won, we most likely would have been playing a Rams team that is better than us who had the experience of losing in the playoffs last year, and if we somehow made it out of that game, most likely a Saints team who is outstanding in that dome. I just never bought into us being good enough to win it all this year.

  22. #66
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    30,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by didshereallysaythat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the Eagles game was the Superbowl and we lost like we did when we were the better team, then I would be as disappointed as you.

    Looking at it realistically though, we had a very young QB who still needs to grow. Had we won, we most likely would have been playing a Rams team that is better than us who had the experience of losing in the playoffs last year, and if we somehow made it out of that game, most likely a Saints team who is outstanding in that dome. I just never bought into us being good enough to win it all this year.
    The Rams nor Saints are clearly better than us. Rams couldn't score more than 6 points on this D so even if you give them a bump for playing at home, still doesn't translate into a clear win. People don't seem to realize that with their injuries at WR and if you contain Gurley, Rams are really not that scary. I see no avenue for Gurley to have a big day running for us and McVay and Goff run most of that offense off play action.

    As for Saints, our LBs match up well on Kamara and outside of Thomas, they have nada at WR to truly challenge us. So no, not scared of them at all. Sorry we blew it. You are not looking at it realistically so much as you are being pessimistic about our chances against the Rams and Saints to justify you being ok with losing to the Eagles which is odd after telling me I am the glass half empty guy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •