Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In review

Default In review

The Bears exceeded expectations. After several straight seasons in the division basement, they suddenly came out of nowhere to dominate the division with only the Packers preventing a complete sweep, hit double digit wins and won the division. Sure the schedule was pretty easy but they beat most of the teams they should have beaten and won some we didn't think they would.

The starting QB missed two games, but other than that the team was remarkably injury-free and enjoyed great health throughout the year.

Then came the playoffs. A home game against the Eagles. They were expected to win, but somehow just lacked the panache they had shown through most of the regular season, played flat, and lost a bitterly disappointing game to be one and done, leaving some fans wondering whether they really are the genuine article or if they overachieved.

It was the 2001 season and was a mighty enjoyable ride.

Default In review

It definitely was a great season and it sucks to see the season end the way it did these last 4 or 5 days. Hopefully these guys take that next step, it’s all going to be on Mitch’s shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCS Donator Outlaw Josey Cutler's Avatar

I actually had far fewer expectations in 2001 than this year, but largely agree with you. I suppose that is probably not good enough but that's the story of my "CCS life".

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Josey Cutler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually had far fewer expectations in 2001 than this year, but largely agree with you. I suppose that is probably not good enough but that's the story of my "CCS life".
    Same here; this team is more talented. But it's funny how many similarities there were between the two seasons.

I agree. Great season. My bottom expectation for the team was .500, and they well exceeded that.

I would only point out that I do not believe the playoffs was the first time the offense was flat. There were wins where the offense was flat, and that was my concern...it wouldn't hold up in the playoffs. Our 14-9 win against the 49ers was concerning.
    Nobody who ever gave his best regretted it. - George Halas

Honestly, it was nice to have fun again watching games and talking football.

They simply did not have the experience, focus, attention to detail, required to win a playoff game. Hopefully, that hurdle is out of the way now.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity View Post
    Honestly, it was nice to have fun again watching games and talking football.

They simply did not have the experience, focus, attention to detail, required to win a playoff game. Hopefully, that hurdle is out of the way now.
    I still believe Nagy and Co. were looking ahead in the playoffs and didn't give the Eagles game the attention it deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Grossman View Post
    I still believe Nagy and Co. were looking ahead in the playoffs and didn't give the Eagles game the attention it deserved.
    Fangio too busy prepping for interviews, too.

Nagy played it too close to the vest to protect Mitch from making a mistake due to the high stakes. He got in his own head and played not to lose. Close games like that can easily go either way.

It was nice to see the Bears relevant again. The double digit wins was a breath of fresh air. Based on the Trestman years however, I can no longer enjoy the wins like I did in the early 2000's. I just keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

All-Star

12 wins in one season compared to a total of 14 in the prior three seasons says it all.

Bullshit. Lost in your narrative is the fact they ultimately lost cause their shit kicker doinked a fg after being iced like the bitch he is. Lost in your narrative is the fact their MVP did not play and neither did their gutless starting TE.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Bullshit. Lost in your narrative is the fact they ultimately lost cause their shit kicker doinked a fg after being iced like the bitch he is. Lost in your narrative is the fact their MVP did not play and neither did their gutless starting TE.
    Well that's the superficial reason we lost. The gameplan was trash, which was my actual point. With a good game plan, we don't need to rely on our garbage kicker.

So bullshit on you.

And one other similarity I didn't include in the OP - both home Eagles games would have been rewarded with a road trip to play the Rams had they won.

Well that's the superficial reason we lost. The gameplan was trash, which was my actual point. With a good game plan, we don't need to rely on our garbage kicker.

So bullshit on you.
    I wipe my ass with what you think you know about a game plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I wipe my ass with what you think you know about a game plan.
    Handkerchief?

Quote Originally Posted by Rory Sparrow View Post
    Fangio too busy prepping for interviews, too.
    Yep. He pulled a page from Riverboat Ron's playbook circa 2006.

4th Generation Gaggler Gustavus Adolphus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bearmick View Post
    The Bears exceeded expectations. After several straight seasons in the division basement, they suddenly came out of nowhere to dominate the division with only the Packers preventing a complete sweep, hit double digit wins and won the division. Sure the schedule was pretty easy but they beat most of the teams they should have beaten and won some we didn't think they would.

The starting QB missed two games, but other than that the team was remarkably injury-free and enjoyed great health throughout the year.

Then came the playoffs. A home game against the Eagles. They were expected to win, but somehow just lacked the panache they had shown through most of the regular season, played flat, and lost a bitterly disappointing game to be one and done, leaving some fans wondering whether they really are the genuine article or if they overachieved.

It was the 2001 season and was a mighty enjoyable ride.
    Could you, in no less than 500 words, give an assessment on Trubisky's year, and his career outlook?
    My Current Alts
    1. HeHateMe
    2. Novak
    3. Warden of the Northeast
    4. Teddy KGB
    5. brett05
    6. BearDen

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavus Adolphus View Post
    Could you, in no less than 500 words, give an assessment on Trubisky's year, and his career outlook?
    I can give you that assessment in two words: lacked panache.

In 2001, you could tell it was smoke and mirrors. So many flukish things happened, and going into that playoff game, I knew the Bears would get killed. 2001 is still one of my all time favorite seasons from an entertainment standpoint.

This season?

NOT a fluke - a 5-1 regular season record against teams that made the playoffs, and no game lost by more than a TD should tell people that, as well as the number of Bears that are pro bowl /all pro.

No, this season is the start of something. The Bears with a harder schedule next year could win less games, but still be progressing, as I expect them to be back in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy KGB View Post
    NOT a fluke - a 5-1 regular season record against teams that made the playoffs
    Or 2-1, and 2-2 if you count the postseason. With all 4 games being in Chicago.

I don't see a ton of similarities between those two teams beside some superficiality.....

I had no hope that they would be as good as they were the next year. I did not see the talent level as sustaining. The 2001 offense played well above what they have. The Bears this year should actually improve and probably did not play up to what they can be.

The 2001 Bears were one of the luckiest teams I have seen and were very up and down.

The 2018 Bears steadily improved as the year went on.

In 2001 I expected massive regression the next year. I don't see that with the 2018 Bears.

Bears were 4-1 against teams with winning records....I think that is what you are referencing

all but 1 win was at home...that really isn't out of the ordinary though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast