In review

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I said in the Mack thread after adding Mack that if Trubs is the real deal that we were serious playoff contender. I have posted the posts several times over the past several months as posters with low expectations keep claiming bullshit as you just did. Feel free to go find the Mack thread as search function currently disabled or go ask Sugarwalls as he made this false claim several times and I posted my posts from the Mack thread to refute his bullshit claims.

That aside, the disappointment comes from losing a winnable playoff game. I don't care about how they did over the course of the year. They lost a playoff game against a pretty mediocre Eagles team with the offense putting up 15 points. I could understand bowing out to the Saints or Rams but no will never accept bowing out to a lesser team where the offensive genius Nagy's offense only managed 15 points. Don't really give a shit about how many points they scored against scrubs in the regular season. His offense failed at the most critical time of the postseason.

In addition, I am not sure why you are comparing to 2017. This is historically a pretty shitty franchise and yes it is disappointing that in a year we finally made the playoffs, we shit the bed. I have no desire to praise them for improving upon an abysmal season last year nor am I going to celebrate 1 playoff appearance in the last 8 years. I don't begrudge others with low expectations that they are simply content with making the playoffs but no I will never be content with such an outcome. This team could have easily competed for a SB this year and we fucked it up. That is why I am disappointed. Period. End of Story.

Glass half empty look at it.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought I already answered this.

After the addition of Mack, I thought they were a playoff contender. How far they went in the playoffs was unknowable at that time as it is just paper.

However, after watching the team play and seeing how the talent came together this was easily one of the more complete teams in the NFL and for me a SB contender. So yes my expectations did increase because paper is just paper. You can't legit know how good a team is until they play.

Where we differ is you seem to think one is beholden to their original expectations. Again let's use the example of the painting. If I saw a painting I thought was worth 1,000 but then it appraised for 1 million, why would I accept 100k as payment? You would seem to argue that since I only thought it was worth 1k I should be ecstatic about the 100k. However, it is obvious my initial expectation was based on imperfect info and it is clear I now know the painting is worth 1 million so why would I be satisfied with 100k?

This is the difference in our approach. I may have only expected 1k from the Bears to start but that was an imperfect expectation based on how a team looks on paper. The Bears were then appraised over the course of the season and I came to realize they were much better than my incorrect assumption. I thought they were a playoff contender at the start but I realized they were actually a SB contender based on their talent relative to their competition.

However, in the end they lost in the first 1 to a team they were much better than IMO. So I am left with 100k season when I know in my heart this team was capable of a 1 million season. That is disappointing to me and I have no reason to ignore how good I saw them be over the course of the year and go back to my imperfect assessment of them based on names on a paper at the start of the year. However, if you was to base your assessment on your initial thoughts then do you. I don't care but you can't force others to feel the same way. Just chalk it up to you and I have different ways of evaluating things which is fine.

Sounds like it be fair enough to say that they exceeded your expectations that you had at the beginning of the year, but as the year went on you expected more

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Glass half empty look at it.

And if it is so what. If you want to be glass half full then that is your choice.

Sounds like it be fair enough to say that they exceeded your expectations that you had at the beginning of the year, but as the year went on you expected more

Sure you can say that although from my perspective it is irrelevant. Once my expectations change, there is no real point in my measuring against old expectations. I don't do that in any other area of my life so why would I do that here.

Urlacher_24

Liked Posts:
The Bears definitely far exceeded my expectations this year. At the start of the season I was hoping for improvement from last year. So basically was thinking 8-8 or 9-7 tops and possible playoffs next year (2019). I was hoping to see improvement in Trubisky from last year which I feel definitely happened so I'm happy with how he's progressing. While the end of the season sucked overall I'm very happy with how everyone (other than the kicker) has improved this year as a team.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
And if it is so what. If you want to be glass half full then that is your choice.

Sure you can say that although from my perspective it is irrelevant. Once my expectations change, there is no real point in my measuring against old expectations. I don't do that in any other area of my life so why would I do that here.

If the Eagles game was the Superbowl and we lost like we did when we were the better team, then I would be as disappointed as you.

Looking at it realistically though, we had a very young QB who still needs to grow. Had we won, we most likely would have been playing a Rams team that is better than us who had the experience of losing in the playoffs last year, and if we somehow made it out of that game, most likely a Saints team who is outstanding in that dome. I just never bought into us being good enough to win it all this year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the Eagles game was the Superbowl and we lost like we did when we were the better team, then I would be as disappointed as you.

Looking at it realistically though, we had a very young QB who still needs to grow. Had we won, we most likely would have been playing a Rams team that is better than us who had the experience of losing in the playoffs last year, and if we somehow made it out of that game, most likely a Saints team who is outstanding in that dome. I just never bought into us being good enough to win it all this year.

The Rams nor Saints are clearly better than us. Rams couldn't score more than 6 points on this D so even if you give them a bump for playing at home, still doesn't translate into a clear win. People don't seem to realize that with their injuries at WR and if you contain Gurley, Rams are really not that scary. I see no avenue for Gurley to have a big day running for us and McVay and Goff run most of that offense off play action.

As for Saints, our LBs match up well on Kamara and outside of Thomas, they have nada at WR to truly challenge us. So no, not scared of them at all. Sorry we blew it. You are not looking at it realistically so much as you are being pessimistic about our chances against the Rams and Saints to justify you being ok with losing to the Eagles which is odd after telling me I am the glass half empty guy.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

wait...you never measure yourself on your past success.....how do you know if you get better at anything or if something got better....

I've seen plenty of times where you measure performances year to year or game to game on this forum....that is literally using new data and comparing it to previous data.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
wait...you never measure yourself on your past success.....how do you know if you get better at anything or if something got better....

I've seen plenty of times where you measure performances year to year or game to game on this forum....that is literally using new data and comparing it to previous data.

The expectation based on how the team played this year was that they were capable of winning a SB. The point being made is there is no logical reason for me to measure them against what I thought before I saw them play when I subsequently saw them play and realized they were a much better team.

So my expectation for the playoffs is not based on what I thought September 1, 2018. It would be completely stupid to base it off of that when I saw 16 games played this season.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
The Rams nor Saints are clearly better than us. Rams couldn't score more than 6 points on this D so even if you give them a bump for playing at home, still doesn't translate into a clear win. People don't seem to realize that with their injuries at WR and if you contain Gurley, Rams are really not that scary. I see no avenue for Gurley to have a big day running for us and McVay and Goff run most of that offense off play action.

As for Saints, our LBs match up well on Kamara and outside of Thomas, they have nada at WR to truly challenge us. So no, not scared of them at all. Sorry we blew it. You are not looking at it realistically so much as you are being pessimistic about our chances against the Rams and Saints to justify you being ok with losing to the Eagles which is odd after telling me I am the glass half empty guy.

That's not true at all. I didn't say we couldn't win at all, just that it wasn't likely. I think we got as high as 8-1 to win the SB. There were 4 teams with better odds than us. 2 in each conference. And it's not just about the personnel or X's and O's. It's about experience both at the QB position and the head coach. The Saints game alone would have been so much more difficult than you think. Just our offense controlling the noise vs their D which is underrated. Especially when they get momentum after a score and get amped up. We could have won that game, but after the performance vs the Eagles, it kinda proves we were not ready.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
didsheremododat tripartite swirly thingy

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The expectation based on how the team played this year was that they were capable of winning a SB. The point being made is there is no logical reason for me to measure them against what I thought before I saw them play when I subsequently saw them play and realized they were a much better team.

So my expectation for the playoffs is not based on what I thought September 1, 2018. It would be completely stupid to base it off of that when I saw 16 games played this season.

The point being made is there is no logical reason for me to measure them against what I thought before I saw them play when I subsequently saw them play and realized they were a much better team.

wut

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's not true at all. I didn't say we couldn't win at all, just that it wasn't likely. I think we got as high as 8-1 to win the SB. There were 4 teams with better odds than us. 2 in each conference. And it's not just about the personnel or X's and O's. It's about experience both at the QB position and the head coach. The Saints game alone would have been so much more difficult than you think. Just our offense controlling the noise vs their D which is underrated. Especially when they get momentum after a score and get amped up. We could have won that game, but after the performance vs the Eagles, it kinda proves we were not ready.

How much experience did Eagles have last year? Only losers think about stuff like this. Winners just go out and play. We can compete with anybody so yes we shit the bed against a mediocre Eagles team.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The point being made is there is no logical reason for me to measure them against what I thought before I saw them play when I subsequently saw them play and realized they were a much better team.

wut

Not sure what confuses. I saw the 2018 Bears play. There were a SB caliber team. So why would I say they exceeded my expectations when they didn't come close to winning the SB in the end?

Why would ignore the 16 games I saw them play and be like "Well before I saw a single play in 2018, I thought they could be a playoff team so I should be happy they made the playoffs." That is absurd. This team was capable of more. That is why I am disappointed.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
How much experience did Eagles have last year? Only losers think about stuff like this. Winners just go out and play. We can compete with anybody so yes we shit the bed against a mediocre Eagles team.

They shit the bed because they were not good enough.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
They shit the bed because they were not good enough.
In this era with such parity in the NFL, a team does not have to shit the bed to lose. Bears did not shit the bed. Trubisky and the offense appeared the same as usual. When not afforded very good field position points have been hard to come by. The defense, missing their best, still played well enough to win. Sometimes it's not about who the better team is. Comes down to who can make that 1 big play, avoid the mistake or make the fuckin' fg.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
The Eagles loss was heartbreaking, but the season as a whole was such a fun ride. This board is much more enjoyable when the team is winning.

Super Bowl or bust next year.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
No. Team was better than the Eagles like remy said offense and Parkey shit the bed

What I mean is that if you play bad enough to lose at home to the Eagles, you are not good enough to win 3 more straight without home field advantage against vastly better teams than the Eagles.

Yes, the Bears "A" game could get it done. We have not seen that enough constantly this year for me to believe they were gonna play it 3 straight games. If they would have played like they did vs the Eagles against almost any other team while being on the road, they would have lost by double figures.

You are what you are. We lost to the Eagles.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This could not be further from the truth. In a one and done scenario luck plays a huge roll. A team can pull out a close win and then blow out someone the next week. So us struggling against he Eagles proves nothing about how we would have played the Saints.

I mean in the other thread you saying how QBs in their playoff debut struggle so don't you honestly believe that Mitch would be better in playoff games going forward after the first game was out of the way? So why you all of a sudden saying there was no chance he played better this week? These are just coping mechanism to excuse us fucking up a good chance at a Super Bowl.