11 Carries!

clear

Liked Posts:
People on this board bashed me for dare complaining why the Bears didn't try establishing a running game against the GREAT Eagles defense! They said it was impossible! It was all about taking what the defense gave you by only giving Howard and Cohen 11 carries combined in that game.

Well. last year in the playoffs. With Nagy calling the plays, the Chiefs GREAT Kareem Hunt had only 11 carries in an epic collapse against the Titans. Even though the Chiefs were up 21-3 at halftime, Hunt only saw 5 carries in the second half from the Bear's offensive guru Nagy.

I guess it's impossible to run against the Titans also? And I guess he doesn't like Hunt either?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Very good point. I still want the Bears to get HUNT but if Nagy just hates running to win games then idk wtf to say. We know he h8s Howard, I guess I assumed he liked Hunt but with your post it looks like it's a thing for him not to run. SMH

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
People on this board bashed me for dare complaining why the Bears didn't try establishing a running game against the GREAT Eagles defense! They said it was impossible! It was all about taking what the defense gave you by only giving Howard and Cohen 11 carries combined in that game.

Well. last year in the playoffs. With Nagy calling the plays, the Chiefs GREAT Kareem Hunt had only 11 carries in an epic collapse against the Titans. Even though the Chiefs were up 21-3 at halftime, Hunt only saw 5 carries in the second half from the Bear's offense guru Nagy.

I guess it's impossible to run against the Titans also? And I guess he doesn't like Hunt either?

While I don't disagree completely with your basic assertion that it would have been nice for the Bears to run more, the yards per rush for those guys was abysmal at 3.14 yards per carry. They could have continued the run run pass punt scheme. Committing to the run and succeeding are two different things. Staying with the run game only works if you can do it successfully.

In reality the Bears should have challenged them deep earlier, that may of helped the run game more.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
1. The ‘Failure’ That Wasn’t
One of the biggest myths in the NFL over the last calendar year is that Nagy cost the Kansas City Chiefs a win in last year’s Wild Card round. After leading the Tennessee Titans 21-3 at halftime, the Chiefs’ offense didn’t score a single point the rest of the game and the Titans came back to win 22-21 on the road at Arrowhead Stadium.

That game was just Nagy’s sixth calling plays for Andy Reid and it made the young offensive coordinator an easy target for the Chiefs’ failures in the second half. The day after the loss, Nagy interviewed for the Bears’ head coaching vacancy and two days later accepted the blame at his introductory press conference in Chicago.

Listen — Hoge & Jahns Podcast: Bears-Eagles, Wild Card Weekend Preview

“For me, that was a failure in my book. I felt terrible for our team, for our organization,” he said.

But was the play-calling really a problem?

I went back and studied the entire game this week and here are some facts to consider:

While the score was 21-3 at the half, the Chiefs didn’t touch the ball until 6:31 left in the third quarter and the score 21-10. The situation didn’t exactly call for the Chiefs to start milking the clock when they built their original 17-point lead running their normal offense, with Alex Smith completing 19-of-23 passes for 231 yards and two touchdowns in the first half.
The main criticism directed at Nagy was that Kareem Hunt only had five carries in the second half. Completely ignored: Nagy only called 11 plays with the lead in the second half and five of them were runs. That’s called balance. Especially in today’s NFL.
Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker missed a 48-yard field goal that would have put the Chiefs up 24-10 with 2:31 left in the third quarter.
The Chiefs’ defense was horrendous in the second half. The Titans had four second half possessions: touchdown, touchdown, touchdown, kneel down to end the game.
None of this seems like the offensive coordinator’s fault.

The reason I went back and watched the game is because earlier this week, Nagy said he only regretted one play call from the game. That struck me as odd considering how hard he fell on the sword last January in his first press conference in a new city.

“I think there was one call that I might have wanted back, and it ended up being a call where we lost some yards on a run call,” Nagy said Monday. “I don’t remember the exact situation, but I think there was one call in there that I really felt I could have been better there.”

The guess here is that call was the quarterback option he called on 3rd-and-1 on the Chiefs’ first possession of the second half. Alex Smith didn’t even get the chance to pitch the ball and was stopped short of the first down. Of course, the Titans ended up muffing the ensuing punt, giving the Chiefs new life on that drive. It ended with the Butker missed field goal.

Another scrutinized call was a 3rd-and-2 pass with 11:30 left in the game and the Chiefs leading 21-16. Except the call worked. Tight end Orson Charles was open, he just dropped the ball. And the only reason Charles was the target was because Travis Kelce suffered a concussion in the first half and the Chiefs played the rest of the game without him.

That drive was the Chiefs’ last drive with the lead. But it was only a five-point lead at the time and it was still early in the fourth quarter — hardly the time to go into a shell offensively. Here was the sequence of plays before the Chiefs were forced to punt:

1st and 10 — Smith 5-yard pass to Tyreek Hill
2nd and 5 – Smith 8-yard pass to Albert Wilson
1st and 10 — Hunt 7-yard run
2nd and 3 — Hunt 1-yard run
3rd and 2 — Drop by Charles

So the plays were working. Until a player dropped a key pass in a key moment.

Too often play-callers take the blame for players failing to execute. So, again, why did Nagy accept the blame so easily?

Well, it may have just been the right thing to do.

After the game, Andy Reid had Nagy’s back, creating some confusion about who was actually calling the plays: “He called the good ones, and I called the bad ones. We’ll keep it at that.”

So going into Nagy’s press conference in Chicago, we didn’t actually know who called the plays. But with Kansas City now in the rear-view mirror, Nagy had an opportunity to take the heat off Reid by accepting the blame. He made it clear that he called every play in the second half.

“That’s a learning situation for me,” Nagy said back on Jan. 9, 2018. “I’ll grow from it, and I’ll learn from it. I promise you that. I’ll use that as a strength here for me with the Chicago Bears.”

And in Chicago — coming off three years of John Fox’s lack of transparency — Nagy’s admission of “failure” was refreshing. Frankly, it was celebrated.

Even if it was completely unnecessary.

https://wgnradio.com/2019/01/03/hog...of-matt-nagys-failure-in-last-years-playoffs/

Give it a fucking rest. He tried to run the ball and the offensive line was flat out getting bitch slapped at the line of scrimmage. Sure as fuck didn't help that they trotted out Kyle fucking Long onto the field to start the game. Kyle was easily the worst lineman on Sunday. Not even close.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
^ Get Hunt to tarnish the Bears good name...perhaps beat some of the non-existant HoneyBears cheerleaders?

No thanks on that toxic player. Don't be a sellout win at any cost fan. As OP mentioned, he wouldn't be used anyway in playoffs.

I think second chances are a thing. Let's give one to a guy who could instantly make the Bears O a top THREE in the league. If the doesn't work out, haven't lost anything but Howard who they don't seem to want to develop within Nagy's high flying aggressive O...

clear

Liked Posts:
From what I've watched Nagy would rather get everyone evolved down to defensive players on offense to make himself look like a genius, rather than exploit mismatches like most great offensive coaches do.

It took him almost the entire game to realize that Maddox couldn't cover Robinson.

The best Bears coach just left town! And people are actually happy thinking if the Bears defense can only allow 10ps a game it might be possible to make the Nagy offense look like a well oiled machine.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
From what I've watched Nagy would rather get everyone evolved down to defensive players on offense to make himself look like a genius, rather than exploit mismatches like most great offensive coaches do.

It took him almost the entire game to realize that Maddox couldn't cover Robinson.

The best Bears coach just left town! And people are actually happy thinking if the Bears defense can only allow 10ps a game it might be possible to make the Nagy offense look like a well oiled machine.

These comments are just plain stupid. He got people involved in the season to keep players engaged and having fun......and they were very successful on those plays, which is actually the bottom line. If you actually understood football would realize that the Bears offense is predicated on mismatches.

clear

Liked Posts:
These comments are just plain stupid. He got people involved in the season to keep players engaged and having fun......and they were very successful on those plays, which is actually the bottom line. If you actually understood football would realize that the Bears offense is predicated on mismatches.

Sure. Just like getting Mizzell and Cunningham involved in the playoffs. Or not using Cohen on kickoffs until he was desperate. I could go on. It was an offensive shit show. Or do you love Mack in on offense during one of the most crucial plays of the game, and then shoveling passing the ball up the middle to 180lb Gabriel, when the Eagles corners are highly suspect?

Facts! Chiefs lost with a 21-3 halftime lead with Nagy calling the plays. And the Bears lost to a 9-7 team in the playoffs at home the following year with Nagy calling the plays. The Bears had a +2 turnover ratio at home in that game, and a historical defense statistically. Look up the stats when that has had happened prior. But it was the kickers fault...

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
^This

I have to simply laugh at his take. The team chemistry is at an all time high because of how Nagy has involved everyone. You're also waaaaay misreading the room if you actually believe Nagy is the sort of person that thinks he is the smartest person in the room. That isn't his personality at all. Sure seems like you made no effort to learn about your head coach if that is really your take on him.

clear

Liked Posts:
1. The ‘Failure’ That Wasn’t
One of the biggest myths in the NFL over the last calendar year is that Nagy cost the Kansas City Chiefs a win in last year’s Wild Card round. After leading the Tennessee Titans 21-3 at halftime, the Chiefs’ offense didn’t score a single point the rest of the game and the Titans came back to win 22-21 on the road at Arrowhead Stadium.

That game was just Nagy’s sixth calling plays for Andy Reid and it made the young offensive coordinator an easy target for the Chiefs’ failures in the second half. The day after the loss, Nagy interviewed for the Bears’ head coaching vacancy and two days later accepted the blame at his introductory press conference in Chicago.

Listen — Hoge & Jahns Podcast: Bears-Eagles, Wild Card Weekend Preview

“For me, that was a failure in my book. I felt terrible for our team, for our organization,” he said.

But was the play-calling really a problem?

I went back and studied the entire game this week and here are some facts to consider:

While the score was 21-3 at the half, the Chiefs didn’t touch the ball until 6:31 left in the third quarter and the score 21-10. The situation didn’t exactly call for the Chiefs to start milking the clock when they built their original 17-point lead running their normal offense, with Alex Smith completing 19-of-23 passes for 231 yards and two touchdowns in the first half.
The main criticism directed at Nagy was that Kareem Hunt only had five carries in the second half. Completely ignored: Nagy only called 11 plays with the lead in the second half and five of them were runs. That’s called balance. Especially in today’s NFL.
Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker missed a 48-yard field goal that would have put the Chiefs up 24-10 with 2:31 left in the third quarter.
The Chiefs’ defense was horrendous in the second half. The Titans had four second half possessions: touchdown, touchdown, touchdown, kneel down to end the game.
None of this seems like the offensive coordinator’s fault.

The reason I went back and watched the game is because earlier this week, Nagy said he only regretted one play call from the game. That struck me as odd considering how hard he fell on the sword last January in his first press conference in a new city.

“I think there was one call that I might have wanted back, and it ended up being a call where we lost some yards on a run call,” Nagy said Monday. “I don’t remember the exact situation, but I think there was one call in there that I really felt I could have been better there.”

The guess here is that call was the quarterback option he called on 3rd-and-1 on the Chiefs’ first possession of the second half. Alex Smith didn’t even get the chance to pitch the ball and was stopped short of the first down. Of course, the Titans ended up muffing the ensuing punt, giving the Chiefs new life on that drive. It ended with the Butker missed field goal.

Another scrutinized call was a 3rd-and-2 pass with 11:30 left in the game and the Chiefs leading 21-16. Except the call worked. Tight end Orson Charles was open, he just dropped the ball. And the only reason Charles was the target was because Travis Kelce suffered a concussion in the first half and the Chiefs played the rest of the game without him.

That drive was the Chiefs’ last drive with the lead. But it was only a five-point lead at the time and it was still early in the fourth quarter — hardly the time to go into a shell offensively. Here was the sequence of plays before the Chiefs were forced to punt:

1st and 10 — Smith 5-yard pass to Tyreek Hill
2nd and 5 – Smith 8-yard pass to Albert Wilson
1st and 10 — Hunt 7-yard run
2nd and 3 — Hunt 1-yard run
3rd and 2 — Drop by Charles

So the plays were working. Until a player dropped a key pass in a key moment.

Too often play-callers take the blame for players failing to execute. So, again, why did Nagy accept the blame so easily?

Well, it may have just been the right thing to do.

After the game, Andy Reid had Nagy’s back, creating some confusion about who was actually calling the plays: “He called the good ones, and I called the bad ones. We’ll keep it at that.”

So going into Nagy’s press conference in Chicago, we didn’t actually know who called the plays. But with Kansas City now in the rear-view mirror, Nagy had an opportunity to take the heat off Reid by accepting the blame. He made it clear that he called every play in the second half.

“That’s a learning situation for me,” Nagy said back on Jan. 9, 2018. “I’ll grow from it, and I’ll learn from it. I promise you that. I’ll use that as a strength here for me with the Chicago Bears.”

And in Chicago — coming off three years of John Fox’s lack of transparency — Nagy’s admission of “failure” was refreshing. Frankly, it was celebrated.

Even if it was completely unnecessary.

https://wgnradio.com/2019/01/03/hog...of-matt-nagys-failure-in-last-years-playoffs/

Give it a fucking rest. He tried to run the ball and the offensive line was flat out getting bitch slapped at the line of scrimmage. Sure as fuck didn't help that they trotted out Kyle fucking Long onto the field to start the game. Kyle was easily the worst lineman on Sunday. Not even close.

They never tried running the ball against the Eagles. Howard got the first offensive play for 6 yards. And then the next carry goes to Mizzell several plays later. No team gains a ton of yards every carry, but when they want to run they stick with it. So, stop making up some fantasy that Nagy tried establishing the run, when Howard had 5 carries for 25 yards at the half with two carries where the last man got him before he got to the second level.

Sure allot of excuse for 2 playoff games with very good backs only seeing 11 carries in each. Especially when Sproles and Smallwood saw 20 carries in a no way are you running the ball situation. I guess Pederson understands about slowing the rush, and keeping the D honest.

Mr. Jones

Liked Posts:
While I don't disagree completely with your basic assertion that it would have been nice for the Bears to run more, the yards per rush for those guys was abysmal at 3.14 yards per carry. They could have continued the run run pass punt scheme. Committing to the run and succeeding are two different things. Staying with the run game only works if you can do it successfully.

In reality the Bears should have challenged them deep earlier, that may of helped the run game more.

I think more Mizzelle..Nagy gave up on him too soon .smmfh still at that shit..Nagy will be known as the choke coach if he continues to be an ass play caller in the playoffs..

clear

Liked Posts:
I think more Mizzelle..Nagy gave up on him too soon .smmfh still at that shit..Nagy will be known as the choke coach if he continues to be an ass play caller in the playoffs..

All year long he did it. There were so many games where Howard got into a groove in a series, and then the Bears didn't give him another carry for several series. Then it was back to the Mickey Mouse offense.

The Bears finished the year 21st in offense this year. Only one other playoff team was worst, and people act like we had some offensive revival out there. Nagy is great and so is Trubisky, but 21st? The Cowboys were only behind the Bears in offense out of all the playoff teams. And they hung 600 yards on the Eagle a little over 5 weeks ago. If the defense wasn't so good, it would of been a shit show out there again this year.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ifs and butts. I deal in facts and verifiable history. You're nuts if you think this season ever had been planned as it turned out. This team grossly overachieved and a hell of a lot of that is due to Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace. The 2018 Chicago Bears were playing with house money and it took them all the way to a 12-4 record, playoffs and barely losing the game to a fucking kick. The entire process was sped up due to the Mack trade and people's expectations rose irrationally as such. If they end up having an equally shit time on offense next season then hey by all means lambaste em but now isn't the time to bitch about it. Not yet. There was no scenario at all in which the offense was suddenly going to be a hell of a lot better this season. No matter how you slice it.

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They never tried running the ball against the Eagles. Howard got the first offensive play for 6 yards. And then the next carry goes to Mizzell several plays later. No team gains a ton of yards every carry, but when they want to run they stick with it. So, stop making up some fantasy that Nagy tried establishing the run, when Howard had 5 carries for 25 yards at the half with two carries where the last man got him before he got to the second level.

Sure allot of excuse for 2 playoff games with very good backs only seeing 11 carries in each. Especially when Sproles and Smallwood saw 20 carries in a no way are you running the ball situation. I guess Pederson understands about slowing the rush, and keeping the D honest.
Howard had 2 carries at 6 yards a piece in the 1st half. The Bears got a 1st down on the next play. Jordan got 12 yards on a carry right before the half on 3rd and long with the Bears in FG range. Eagles were in prevent to prevent a TD, and force the bears to settle for a FG. Take a look at the rest of the Bears 1st down carries and you'll see why they couldn't run again on 2nd or 3rd down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:

The Eagles ran the ball more than the Bears & avg only 1.8 yds a carry. Bears should have ran the ball more than the Eagles. The Bears had too many 0 & negative yard plays on 1st down, running screens. Nagy does need to pound the ball a little more.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Part of running the ball effectively is having a complimentary passing game that utilizes ALL of the field.

My viewpoint was that Nagy went conservative from the get go and shrunk the field himself, playing right into the eagles hands. They crowded the line which made the run game suffer and the pass game was a bunch of 0-8 yard routes.

This all changed toward the end of Q3 and....viola...we march down for a td. Maybe he didnt trust Mitch but I think downfield passing EARLY would have opened up the entire offense much sooner and it would have been the double digit victory it should have been.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ifs and butts. I deal in facts and verifiable history. You're nuts if you think this season ever had been planned as it turned out. This team grossly overachieved and a hell of a lot of that is due to Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace. The 2018 Chicago Bears were playing with house money and it took them all the way to a 12-4 record, playoffs and barely losing the game to a fucking kick. The entire process was sped up due to the Mack trade and people's expectations rose irrationally as such. If they end up having an equally shit time on offense next season then hey by all means lambaste em but now isn't the time to bitch about it. Not yet. There was no scenario at all in which the offense was suddenly going to be a hell of a lot better this season. No matter how you slice it.

There was nothing irrational about it though. Top to bottom, we had one of the most talented rosters in the NFL so we underachieved relevant to our talent. We were easily one of the more complete teams in the NFL.

Think people confuse comparisons to last year which sure we were much better than last year to what the actual real talent in 2018 would indicate this team was capable of. The actual real talent on this roster was good enough to make a SB run. We did not do that so on that basis we underachieved. Just because some weren't expecting us to compete this soon doesn't mean we lacked the talent to compete or that we should be measured against those incorrect assumptions.

Does anyone honestly believe this team was not capable of competing for a SB this year based on the actual talent on the team?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There was nothing irrational about it though. Top to bottom, we had one of the most talented rosters in the NFL so we underachieved relevant to our talent. We were easily one of the more complete teams in the NFL.

Think people confuse comparisons to last year which sure we were much better than last year to what the actual real talent in 2018 would indicate this team was capable of. The actual real talent on this roster was good enough to make a SB run. We did not do that so on that basis we underachieved. Just because some weren't expecting us to compete this soon doesn't mean we lacked the talent to compete or that we should be measured against those incorrect assumptions.

Does anyone honestly believe this team was not capable of competing for a SB this year based on the actual talent on the team?

Oh please. Not a single soul was even remotely that optimistic about the Bears' prospects this season EVEN AFTER signing Mack. Fuck outta here with your vortex.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Oh please. Not a single soul was even remotely that optimistic about the Bears' prospects this season EVEN AFTER signing Mack. Fuck outta here with your vortex.

So what

This team should/could have won every game this year. I believe we lost on the last play 4 times and once we let the other team score with 90 seconds left(from 75 yards away).

The team had health (which is 75% of the battle), a home game and a defense capable of winning any game vs any opponent.

From a labor day point of view, not watching a second of this team play.... we overachieved.

From a new years day point of view.....this team underachieved and wasted/blew a great opportunity.

Would we have beaten the rams/saints/afc...who knows but we damn sure should have been playing this weekend to find put further.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Again you are missing the point. No one gives a shit what Bears fans thought before the season as our thoughts don't reflect reality. The reality was this was a SB caliber team that failed to win a playoff game.

Again it would be like me saying a painting was worth 1,000, finding out after it is appraised it is worth 10 million but somehow being content with only receiving 100k for it on the basis that I originally thought it was worth 1,000k. No one except silly sports fans think this why.

The Bears were appraised over the course of the year and found to be far better or more valuable than what most fans thought. Judging them then by what clearly wrong opinions were at the start of the year is really odd. It is like we want to give credit to the Bears because fans were wrong about how good the team was.