Brewers Sign Yindall. Time for Cubs to do SOMETHING

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
The demand for Theo to "DO SOMETHING" to keep up with Yankees every offseason is one of the primary reasons why he left Boston. He's not going to run a team to assuage the uneasiness of the meatballs. He's going to make what he feels are the best baseball decisions.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
So far the team is kept in tact. Hendricks agreed to a deal, he has been one of our best pitchers for the past 3 years, (even though he gets no respect). Hoping to hear Javy do a multi year deal to avoid arby before the deadline today.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
The demand for Theo to "DO SOMETHING" to keep up with Yankees every offseason is one of the primary reasons why he left Boston. He's not going to run a team to assuage the uneasiness of the meatballs. He's going to make what he feels are the best baseball decisions.

I never knew that was one of the primary reasons why he left Boston. That’s good insight. Sounds like you know Theo personally. Yes? Or was that published somewhere?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I never knew that was one of the primary reasons why he left Boston. That’s good insight. Sounds like you know Theo personally. Yes? Or was that published somewhere?

"In a wide-ranging interview on Boston's 98.5 The Sports Hub, Chicago Cubs general manager Theo Epstein discussed his decade as GM of the Red Sox and admitted that his "one regret" during the period was big-name free-agent signings made in response to pressure from fans and management."

“You had the realities of being in a big market and being in a really competitive atmosphere and a place that wasn’t that patient,” Epstein said. “Then, on top of that, we had the reality of what we came to call “The Monster"—which was what happened after we won in ’04. There became such an emphasis in the Red Sox organization of doing things bigger, better—pushing to be more marketable, more profitable, not to lose any fans, to keep pushing these numbers. It’s perfectly understandable, and I don’t blame anybody for it. It’s sort of a natural consequence of winning and a natural consequence of being in business."

"After Boston declined to re-sign popular outfielder Jason Bay, who was coming off a 36-homer, 119-RBI season, Epstein said there was pressure to make another “sizzling” signing, and the guy who helped beat them was raised to a higher level than he deserved."

"When you’re in a big market, and you win, and you’re up against the Yankees, and ratings are what they are, and attendance is what it is; no one wants to go backwards as a business," Epstein explained.

"I think if I learned a lesson from that offseason, it was to never feel the need to do something," he admitted. "If you’re trying to avoid one move that you don’t think is going to work out, don’t then settle for a different move that maybe doesn’t check all the boxes. You don’t have to get everything done in one offseason just because of what’s going on in the environment around you.”

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Now there is find. You live out east?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Now there is find. You live out east?

I live in DC. I remembered reading articles when Epstein was hired (think it was a Trib one, specifically) about how surprised Ricketts was to find Epstein essentially burned out, his confidence shot, and exhausted of the "keeping up with the Yankees" PR pressure in Boston. And that was one of the main selling points of the Cubs, that Ricketts was going to allow him to do it his way, without pressure to make bad baseball signings just to appease a hungry fanbase.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
I live in DC. I remembered reading articles when Epstein was hired (think it was a Trib one, specifically) about how surprised Ricketts was to find Epstein essentially burned out, his confidence shot, and exhausted of the "keeping up with the Yankees" PR pressure in Boston. And that was one of the main selling points of the Cubs, that Ricketts was going to allow him to do it his way, without pressure to make bad baseball signings just to appease a hungry fanbase.

Love DC. Took the kids there for a full week this summer. My wife has relatives out there and have always enjoyed everything there is to do there. Thanks for sharing.
I had a feeling you had some real insight into your first post. Had to pry it out somehow. I agree with Theo’s comment btw. He needs to stick to what he thinks is the right thing to do.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Love DC. Took the kids there for a full week this summer. My wife has relatives out there and have always enjoyed everything there is to do there. Thanks for sharing.
I had a feeling you had some real insight into your first post. Had to pry it out somehow. I agree with Theo’s comment btw. He needs to stick to what he thinks is the right thing to do.

DC is great! Just don't visit during a shutdown, or it's all locked museums, piles of trash, and nowhere to pee.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I think the biggest addition to this season is waking up Maddon to be the manager he hired 4 years ago.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah. This club has the talent it needs to win another WS, hands down. The last two years especially last year, they haven't played like it, hence the results.

There's been no sense of urgency. They've been resting on their laurels hoping things will just come to them. Maddon badly needed the kick in the pants that he got. And not making a big splash signing is challenging the whole team and coaching staff to perform like everyone knows they can.

Theo has the benefit of being able to talk to the whole team and staff at once. He'll probably hold a meeting on the day the whole team reports to Mesa to challenge everyone to play like they know they can, and that he didn't make any big moves in the offseason because they don't need them. I'm a Manager IRL and I could write the exact speech I'd use in my head right now. They are baseball stars. Play like it.

erwiggins123

Liked Posts:
The Cubs need a closer bad. If they don't sign one or trade for one we are going to lose a lot of games in the 9th. We need someone who can shutdown the opponent. I like Kimbrell on a 2 years deal worth about $20M. Its way more than anyone else will give him. I think a great closer is more key to the success than Bryce Harper. But I think the Cubs are waiting to see how the Harper market develops. Right now its between the White Sox, and Phillies, and the Nationals. None of these teams does Harper want to play for and they're low balling him. The Sox offered like 6 years at $30M a year which is about $180M. The Phillies really want Machado and I hope they get him because their not going to want two huge contracts on them in case one of the players gets hurts or stops producing. Kind of like Pujols. They gave him a 10 year deal for like $25M per year and I know the Angels regret it. But that's the risk of signing a guy for 10 years. The Cubs lose $60M in payroll after this season. Once Morrow, Kintzer, Zobrist, Cishek, and Hamells become free agents the Cubs are probably not going to sign any of them. So there's $60M off your payroll. So even if we gave Harper $30M we would still be under the Luxury Tax. We would be good for at least 3 years until Bryant becomes a free agent. Everyone else will still be in salary arbitration and all 7 of the guys we had go to arbitration accepted the Cubs offer. We don't have greedy fucks like Arenado who turned down $25M because he wants $30M. Its going to be funny to watch Lamehiu hit .230 this year now that he's not playing 82 games in Coors Field. He hit over .300 in Coors Field and less than .240 every place else. I just want to see the Cubs win the World Series again and getting Bryce Harper would probably almost guarantee and trip to the fall classic.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
The Cubs need a closer bad. If they don't sign one or trade for one we are going to lose a lot of games in the 9th. We need someone who can shutdown the opponent. I like Kimbrell on a 2 years deal worth about $20M. Its way more than anyone else will give him. .
Where do you park your spaceship, Moonbeam?

garapp

Liked Posts:
Hands down?

The winner of the division improved dramatically at catcher and have a great farm system

The Cubs give a wife beater a second chance, Hendricks is healthy and Darvish might be. Theo didn't jump at deals in Boston so no worries now.

The pen is shaky, but we know Schwarbrr will hit against all lefties, hit .250, 40 homes because, see he is only 25

I feel better now

Last edited:

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Hands down?

The winner of the division improved dramatically at catcher and have a great farm system

The Cubs give a wife beater a second chance, Hendricks is healthy and Darvish might be. Theo didn't jump at deals in Boston so no worries now.

The pen is shaky, but we know Schwarbrr will hit against all lefties, hit .250, 40 homes because, see he is only 25

I feel better now

The Brewers over-performed last year (take a look at Yelich's HR/FB rate) while the Cubs under-performed. Even if the Cubs don't make a single addition the rest of this offseason, they should still be the favorites to win the division in 2019 due to regression. Step back from the cliff.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Brewers over-performed last year (take a look at Yelich's HR/FB rate) while the Cubs under-performed. Even if the Cubs don't make a single addition the rest of this offseason, they should still be the favorites to win the division in 2019 due to regression. Step back from the cliff.

Nah, just let him step off.....

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons

I would agree if the cubs' weaknesses weren't so easily identifiable. This team is 1-2 legitimate upgrades away from being a true championship contender again. And I'm not talking about Harper or Machado. I'm talking about closer, leadoff, depth, etc. As it stands right now, they are not the clear cut favorite even in their division. Paper champions mean nothing but right now you could point to 4-5 teams that appear to be better than the Cubs. As a result, the failure to improve the roster (thus far) is a financial decision and not a baseball one.

erwiggins123

Liked Posts:
Maybe he meant 2 years at 20M per? I doubt it with what he's posted so far, but that's about all I could see Kimbrell signing for, in the least.

I meant $20M per. And he might just get a one year for about $20-25M. But don't give a guy with a cannon arm any 5 ot 6 year contract. Especially when u have to pay him $20M per year to be hurt or dead. It makes me sick that we pay Heyward $20-23M per year to ground out to second base 4 times a game.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I would agree if the cubs' weaknesses weren't so easily identifiable. This team is 1-2 legitimate upgrades away from being a true championship contender again. And I'm not talking about Harper or Machado. I'm talking about closer, leadoff, depth, etc. As it stands right now, they are not the clear cut favorite even in their division. Paper champions mean nothing but right now you could point to 4-5 teams that appear to be better than the Cubs. As a result, the failure to improve the roster (thus far) is a financial decision and not a baseball one.

Health and therefore training staff will be a huge upgrade for the team. Lead off - Zobrist is proven to do well in the role and the team has enough . Almora has done well is his limited timed there. Happ walks well enough and can hopefully develop a more steady bat. Closer - See Health. They went through 2 closers last season. If they can stay ready, and not pull hammies while having to bat, this fixes that. I won't say they are clear favorites because baseball is freaky. But if they are simply healthy and produce as usual, the team that won 95 games last year could conceivably win 100.