On the score - Chuck Pagano new Bears DC

Luke

Liked Posts:
This is why Pagano was the best option once Fangio left

1. He is not Gregg Williams, Rex Ryan, or any former Bears that was suggested.
2. He has done well as a DC, when he has reasonable personnel.
3. He is an accomplished DB coach and has a long resume of really good players that he has worked with.
4. He has a similar "quiet old school" style similar to Fangio
5. He has experience as HC in big game [6 playoff games, 1 AFC Championship Game] and that is the next hurdle for Nagy.

If you call Lewis, Suggs, Reed, Ngata reasonable lol.
But yes, all in all a solid choice.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow !! Everywhere this guy has gone there has been a tremendous upSurge to that team's secondary abilities against the pass.

Considering this D is 'very good' against the Run, this hire fills an imaginary 'need'

I mean S*** can Pagano improve on 27 INTs to 33 ??

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Numbers-wise Pagano is avg. at best. His "D" with the Colts was top 10 once.....the rest was ranked in the 20's. Nothing personal just looking at the #'s

Akuma2000

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pagano apparently blitzed a lot as the Ravens DC according to people on reddit. Let's hope that's the case here.

This is something Fangio didn't do as much, although the Bears didn't have to blitz much because of the inside and outside pressure we got 90% of the time there were plenty of times the Bears should have kept bringing a blitz but Fangio never did to keep the pressure on.

I'm glad we'll see more blitzing next season.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope he’s not a locker room cancer. ....

Too soon?

Wait, thats it?

I go looking for the start of the big cancer joke drama and this is it?

Fucking hell, some pussy bitch get mad at the internet bitches in here.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
I like this hire. The more I learn about Pagano, the more I like him. If you want a bit of insight as the what he and other cancer survivors go through, here’s an interview with him from 2012 in USA Today:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1798171

Your whole outlook on life changes, and your appreciation for the little things comes into focus.
And yes, we can and should make fun of cancer, it’s a horrible disease whose treatment is as bad as it is, but unfortunately, is a part of life for far too many of us. Much like whistling past graveyards, humor can ease the anxiety.
Life is short, enjoy every second of it.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
THIS.

I for one am actually happy that Vic is gone and Pagano is his replacement. Vic was very good but IMO too passive when it came to bringing pressure and dominating the game. I don't believe in blitzing every play but for God sake Vic hardly ever brought much pressure. I would like to believe that him not only having experience as a DC in Baltimore but also being a head coach should boast very well for him immediately holding equity in that locker room. Players will respect him and I truly believe we will have an even better defense for 2019.

Does anyone have actual stats on how much the Bears blitzed compared to the rest of the league? Would be curious to see if perception equals reality on this.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Does anyone have actual stats on how much the Bears blitzed compared to the rest of the league? Would be curious to see if perception equals reality on this.

Hard for me to find online, but the NFL Live crew the day after the game said the Bears were last and it wasn’t close.

Newblood

Liked Posts:

I don't have the numbers, but Fangio is consistently toward the bottom of the league in blitzes, while Pagano was historically around the league average. So while blitzing will be an uptick over Fangio, Pagano likely won't be blitz happy.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow !! Everywhere this guy has gone there has been a tremendous upSurge to that team's secondary abilities against the pass.

Considering this D is 'very good' against the Run, this hire fills an imaginary 'need'

Unlikely. Ball went our way this year on D. Close would be great.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you call Lewis, Suggs, Reed, Ngata reasonable lol.
But yes, all in all a solid choice.

It was more a comment of how his Indy personnel was trash.

WMarshall

Liked Posts:
Just read that Pagano could bring in Ed Reed as an assistant. Don’t have a problem with that at all.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Just read that Pagano could bring in Ed Reed as an assistant. Don’t have a problem with that at all.

Really? Where did you read that? Link? I would love that.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

As long as our pass rush stays good (and it may even improve), the opportunities for INTs will be there...

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I hope Pagano keeps Glenn Pires and Jay Rodgers. Those guys could’ve been DCs in their own right, and retaining them will go a long way to ensure this defensive unit remains elite.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Some of you meatballs may finally get Ryan as a defensive coach.

"A source said the rumor making the rounds in league circles is that Rob Ryan, the son of Buddy Ryan, architect of the 1985 Bears defense, could be hired as the replacement for Staley."

And

"the Bears informed outside linebackers coach Brandon Staley he will not return"

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...s-brandon-staley-rob-ryan-20190113-story.html