On the score - Chuck Pagano new Bears DC

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Lol I hear that! I think you will be happy with Pagano, as long as you don’t expect the same level as this year. Fangio staying probably wouldn’t repeat the success, it’s never been done in the history of the nfl.

The reason I like this hire is it keeps the fabric of what made a successful culture intact. The long term success depends on Nagy and this offense developing. This allows the team to stay on that same path. You can’t say Pagano lacks experience.

I’m all in for sure. And you’re right, I can’t say he lacks experience. But that alone doesn’t mean he’s going to succeed. Plenty coaches with experience out there that don’t cut it. And that’s cool, that happens. And you never know until you try them out. But I would have liked to have taken a risk with someone else. Maybe some wouldn’t have had but I would. Not sure who was out there. But like I said, we can’t choose them or the players on the team. You can only hope they try their best. If it works, thanks and keep going. If it doesn’t, that’s for trying but we will move on. But I’ll be cheering whoever is out there playing for or coaching the Bears!

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk

Rise

Liked Posts:
True. I too was thinking about needing to have the offense step up and be in top 10 in order to keep a balance. You know what the average points they offense had per game in 2018? I feel like they have a long way to go. Hopefully it only takes this off season. I know that’s high hoping, but it’s not unrealistic either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do they averaged 17ppg which isn’t nearly enough. The strength of this team will continue to be defense the next couple of years and that is ok. It’s the smart play while Trubisky and the offense develop. The best offenses take years to hit maximum potential, we as Bears fans just have never had the opportunity. The only offensive minded coach we have ever had before Nagy was the weirdo Trestman.

The key is so they keep moving up and adding pieces. I think they do and it rises up yearly. Next year 10-15 range while the defense is 5-10 is my best guess.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I’m all in for sure. And you’re right, I can’t say he lacks experience. But that alone doesn’t mean he’s going to succeed. Plenty coaches with experience out there that don’t cut it. And that’s cool, that happens. And you never know until you try them out. But I would have liked to have taken a risk with someone else. Maybe some wouldn’t have had but I would. Not sure who was out there. But like I said, we can’t choose them or the players on the team. You can only hope they try their best. If it works, thanks and keep going. If it doesn’t, that’s for trying but we will move on. But I’ll be cheering whoever is out there playing for or coaching the Bears!

Like maybe a younger, unknown guy who has higher potential? I can see the appeal but I don’t think that would be the right play for this team at this time. They need Nagy focused on offensive development, and honestly his own development as a head coach. Pagano in terms of experience in theory should allow Nagy to stay focused on those two tasks while trusting Pagano with the defense. He can also be someone to lean on for advice at a hc level that even Fangio could not provide.

I think if all goes well the next dc could be that type of guy, as Nagy would be a seasoned hc by then with an offense that is humming along, with multiple players years into the system. They could then get a young dc with bold ideas and a new crop of young players naive enough to buy in and go for it.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Like maybe a younger, unknown guy who has higher potential? I can see the appeal but I don’t think that would be the right play for this team at this time. They need Nagy focused on offensive development, and honestly his own development as a head coach. Pagano in terms of experience in theory should allow Nagy to stay focused on those two tasks while trusting Pagano with the defense. He can also be someone to lean on for advice at a hc level that even Fangio could not provide.

I think if all goes well the next dc could be that type of guy, as Nagy would be a seasoned hc by then with an offense that is humming along, with multiple players years into the system. They could then get a young dc with bold ideas and a new crop of young players naive enough to buy in and go for it.

No I get your idea and it’s a good one. But that’s why I said my way would be a risk. A risk I wouldn’t mind taking. No way of me knowing if it will work since it’s a risk. But it is what it is.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Should have hired Rex.

I could not disagree more. Rex while probably the most superior dc mind available is also an extreme personality that would overtake the whole building. This could result in an explosive environment and potentially a power struggle. It would have a high possibility of stifling Nagy’s development and the culture he is trying to build here.

In short the risk is not worth it.

Rise

Liked Posts:
No I get your idea and it’s a good one. But that’s why I said my way would be a risk. A risk I wouldn’t mind taking. No way of me knowing if it will work since it’s a risk. But it is what it is.

Could be great right? I just don’t think the Bears are in that sort of desperate place where they need to take this particular risk. The risk was Nagy, and it seems to have paid off, now is the time to harbor and nourish that risk.

Hope that makes sense lol.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Could be great right? I just don’t think the Bears are in that sort of desperate place where they need to take this particular risk. The risk was Nagy, and it seems to have paid off, now is the time to harbor and nourish that risk.

Hope that makes sense lol.

It wasn’t that it never made sense. It’s just two different opinions is all. Nothing wrong with that. I still would have taken the risk. You wouldn’t have. Cool either way. Not everyone thinks the same which doesn’t make either person wrong.

Rise

Liked Posts:
It wasn’t that it never made sense. It’s just two different opinions is all. Nothing wrong with that. I still would have taken the risk. You wouldn’t have. Cool either way. Not everyone thinks the same which doesn’t make either person wrong.

100% agreed never meant to imply you were wrong. Just talking.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
100% agreed never meant to imply you were wrong. Just talking.

I honestly am not expecting the defense to maintain the same play. Now if they do, hell that’s great. But I’m ok with it if it declines some. I really am hoping the offense picks up this year. Doesn’t have to be drastic and be the saints offense, but something better. All year I was looking from Trubisky that look. That look that reads, “I got this shit!” Making plays without thinking and just reacting and his confident game face on. A face that showed he knows what he’s doing and how to attack. I finally saw it in the last quarter against the eagles. Which it would have been sooner but I was waiting for it all season long. Now that I finally saw it, I hope we can see it early on nest season. If we do, we should see at least a small progression from him. He won’t be thinking and calculating too much. He’d be reacting more which will make him better. Can’t wait.

Asswipe Johnson

Liked Posts:
I just hope he's aggressive. Still remember Tobin taking over for Ryan with most of the same great players and while they were still pretty good....they just weren't the same without Ryan.

The ‘86 defense was every bit as good, if not better, than ‘85. The team went 14-2 and set an NFL record for points allowed. Not taking anything away from Buddy, who I love and he was adored by his players, but they performed just as well for his successor.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
This will be the year where we’ll have a guy like Mack get 15+ sacks finally. Less LB coverage and more overall blitzing

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like it for this D.

Hotwheelz24

They See Me Rollin'
Liked Posts:
This will be the year where we’ll have a guy like Mack get 15+ sacks finally. Less LB coverage and more overall blitzing

THIS.

I for one am actually happy that Vic is gone and Pagano is his replacement. Vic was very good but IMO too passive when it came to bringing pressure and dominating the game. I don't believe in blitzing every play but for God sake Vic hardly ever brought much pressure. I would like to believe that him not only having experience as a DC in Baltimore but also being a head coach should boast very well for him immediately holding equity in that locker room. Players will respect him and I truly believe we will have an even better defense for 2019.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:

You give me Ray lewis and I think I can coach a top 5 defense in the NFL. Ill wait and see on this one. Not thrilled but not bummed either. Im indifferent. Weren't too many options.