Wildcard playoff film review part 1: The Offense

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Tape dont lie. He got better as the game went on. Just as he did this season.

The deep out to Allen really annoys me though. Really wish Allen could have gotten his feet set and stayed in on that one.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
My biggest issue with this game was Nagy not sticking to more zone runs for Howard. The way that D line was holding its lanes, he almost broke a couple of those

I wasn't a fan of the zone runs with Howard. Yeah, I think 1 or 2 Howard actually got through the LOS but was tripped up before he could get big yards, but the majority of them had either Long or Daniels completely whiffing their reach blocks and the DT stopping Howard before he could start. Late in the game when the Bears had the lead and needed to run out the clock, I was hoping they would just run Howard straight behind Long and Massie. If you don't have confidence power running behind Long/Massie in the 4th quarter, then I'm not sure why either is on the roster. On 1st down, Nagy tries a zone run to the left, Long either blows his assignment or gets beaten immediately or both, but the play goes nowhere.

Trubisky seemed very tentative in the 1st half. I'm not really a fan of his deep ball, because even when he gets a clear 1-on-1 matchup, he either doesn't pull the trigger or he throws the ball as if there is a deep safety and leads his WR to the sidelines. I assume its just some type of ingrained habit with Trubisky's mechanics, but it needs to stop. His best deep ball was unfortunately to Bellamy...Trubisky led him perfectly and it should have been a pretty TD play, but instead it was Bellamy jumping high to catch the ball in his stomach and falling down.

My favorite clip is of Long's pass 'protection' in the 1st half. Cox pushes him aside and runs at Trubisky, but Long continues backpedaling and looking around, as if he was supposed to be picking up a stunting DE. Long's brother does eventually cross his face, but all Long can do is get in Massie's way, allowing his brother to get a free run at Trubisky. High comedy.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Once Trubisky got warmed up, it was fun to watch. :beer:

Incredible thread. Perhaps thread of the year.

Fuck, 10 was throwing some serious lasers out there.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Robinson and Miller make their red zone catches Trubisky could have had 400 yards and a couple of TDs.

Inches away from a monstrous game.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This seems to be the weekly mantra with Trubisky...not a good sign IMO.

The inches where not his issue. Miller dropped/fumbled the pass and Robinson did not drag his feet.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wasn't a fan of the zone runs with Howard. Yeah, I think 1 or 2 Howard actually got through the LOS but was tripped up before he could get big yards, but the majority of them had either Long or Daniels completely whiffing their reach blocks and the DT stopping Howard before he could start. Late in the game when the Bears had the lead and needed to run out the clock, I was hoping they would just run Howard straight behind Long and Massie. If you don't have confidence power running behind Long/Massie in the 4th quarter, then I'm not sure why either is on the roster. On 1st down, Nagy tries a zone run to the left, Long either blows his assignment or gets beaten immediately or both, but the play goes nowhere.

Trubisky seemed very tentative in the 1st half. I'm not really a fan of his deep ball, because even when he gets a clear 1-on-1 matchup, he either doesn't pull the trigger or he throws the ball as if there is a deep safety and leads his WR to the sidelines. I assume its just some type of ingrained habit with Trubisky's mechanics, but it needs to stop. His best deep ball was unfortunately to Bellamy...Trubisky led him perfectly and it should have been a pretty TD play, but instead it was Bellamy jumping high to catch the ball in his stomach and falling down.

My favorite clip is of Long's pass 'protection' in the 1st half. Cox pushes him aside and runs at Trubisky, but Long continues backpedaling and looking around, as if he was supposed to be picking up a stunting DE. Long's brother does eventually cross his face, but all Long can do is get in Massie's way, allowing his brother to get a free run at Trubisky. High comedy.

I remember during the draft day telecast Gruden mention that he didn’t like all the deep balls Trubisky was sailing out of bounds. So you’re right, it’s just something that’s been with him.

Incredible thread. Perhaps thread of the year.

Fuck, 10 was throwing some serious lasers out there.

Reminded me of the Stanford game, where Trubisky threw 2 bad INT’s early and then completed clutch throw after clutch throw in the 2nd half. He lost both games as well.

Last edited:

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I love the evaluation, understand it took a lot of time. Appreciate the effort.

The hard part of breaking down a guy who throws 43 passes is that inevitably, on both sides, he's going to amaze you with throws that are great and throws that are terrible. That's just the nature of who he is as a QB. The weird thing I see in a lot of all-22 or similar full field cameras is that Mitch throws to the 'decoy' route (which tends to be shorter) a lot instead of giving the play a chance to develop. I'm not talking about plays where he gets pressured or stuff like that but plays where he has to stand in and just give that play a chance and if not, make a quick decision. I think his arm talent is good enough to be a high level passer but he simply has to process information quicker and make better decisions both in terms of not throwing the ball to the other team and when he has an advantage with a WR or a route.

And the long pass to Robinson, there is an anticipatory window there to the sideline that Mitch was late on. The corner didn't have good depth and was slow to turn with Robinson so for about two-three steps, Allen has him beat and is leading Mitch to the sideline but Mitch lets the throw drift up the middle a hair and instead of Robinson going out, he gets tackled in and they burn the last timeout. If we're going to sit here and claim he was clutch or made a great throw, then we're really stretching the definition of great. Was it a good throw? Of course. That's a throw that you see a lot of NFL QB make from time-to-time whether it be the Flacco's or Tannehill's or Dalton's of the world. 3 of the 4 guys playing on Sunday? You'd expect the great throw where it's on his outside shoulder, over the corner, away from the safety (where the hole is) and allows Allen to get out of bounds.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I remember during the draft day telecast Gruden mention that he didn’t like all the deep balls Trubisky was sailing out of bounds. So you’re right, it’s just something that’s been with him.

Reminded me of the Stanford game, where Trubisky threw 2 bad INT’s early and then completed clutch throw after clutch throw in the 2nd half. He lost both games as well.

Is Part 2 coming?

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love the evaluation, understand it took a lot of time. Appreciate the effort.

The hard part of breaking down a guy who throws 43 passes is that inevitably, on both sides, he's going to amaze you with throws that are great and throws that are terrible. That's just the nature of who he is as a QB. The weird thing I see in a lot of all-22 or similar full field cameras is that Mitch throws to the 'decoy' route (which tends to be shorter) a lot instead of giving the play a chance to develop. I'm not talking about plays where he gets pressured or stuff like that but plays where he has to stand in and just give that play a chance and if not, make a quick decision. I think his arm talent is good enough to be a high level passer but he simply has to process information quicker and make better decisions both in terms of not throwing the ball to the other team and when he has an advantage with a WR or a route.

And the long pass to Robinson, there is an anticipatory window there to the sideline that Mitch was late on. The corner didn't have good depth and was slow to turn with Robinson so for about two-three steps, Allen has him beat and is leading Mitch to the sideline but Mitch lets the throw drift up the middle a hair and instead of Robinson going out, he gets tackled in and they burn the last timeout. If we're going to sit here and claim he was clutch or made a great throw, then we're really stretching the definition of great. Was it a good throw? Of course. That's a throw that you see a lot of NFL QB make from time-to-time whether it be the Flacco's or Tannehill's or Dalton's of the world. 3 of the 4 guys playing on Sunday? You'd expect the great throw where it's on his outside shoulder, over the corner, away from the safety (where the hole is) and allows Allen to get out of bounds.

As Trubisky sets to throw the ball, he sees the CB on Robinson’s outside shade. So he adjusts his pass trajectory and lofts it behind Robinson but still has the touch to drop it in right under the deep safety. Great, great throw to keep it away from the cb who sold out to the sideline with the safety over the top. You see the CB is actually trying to beat Robinson to his spot on the corner route. And he would have gotten there, as he’s running in a straight line. This is not something that ANY QB does regularly.

vQDNhe.gif

Last edited:

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Adipost, with some distance from the game, knowing the OL is going to do some whiffing, and Trub is going to hesitate early on, as Coach what's three things you would have done differently to win this game?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah and as Adi noted he missed reads that cost us points as I said from the start. How is it that we can take ARob to task for not dragging his foot but when Trubs missed reads, ya'll want to change the subject to who else fucked up?

Does ARob not dragging his feet excuse Trubs missing throws? If not then not sure why it was brought up. Plenty of people was responsible for the O only scoring 15 points. Trubs was one of them.

They all miss reads. You've been such a bug about this it's disturbing.