Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Will Cubs convention turn into a riot

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    18

    Default Will Cubs convention turn into a riot

    A lot of Cubs fans are righteously pissed that the Cubs haven't signed anyone to this point even though if they start the season without a real closer they are fucked. The Cubs convention is coming up Dec 18-20. How many people are going to be chewing Theo Epstein and Tom Ricketts for playing fraud like the Cubs have no money to spend. I don't think it's Theo's fault. But his past few years free agent signings haven't exactly worked out. Heyward 8 years $181M, Chatwood 3 years $48M, Morrow, and Darvish 6 years over $100M. Now you can't really blame him for Morrow and Darvish. Both guys are total pussies who don't know how to play through a little pain. Darvish will be the key to this season. If he comes out throwing fire and has a year like the 4 or 5 he has in Texas then the Cubs will dominate. But everything they say about Bryce Harper is total bullshit. We don't have any money is such crap that it can't be true. The Ricketts have turned Wrigley Field into an ATM. So what will the convention look like when all the rest of the NL Central got better through free agency and trades and the Cubs have stood pat?

  2. #2
    All-Star anotheridiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,337

    Default

    Very good explanation on why Theo should not sign anybody since he has pretty much under achieved on all his signings other than Zobrist. Lester was not even the best pitcher his first year here, you can argue first two when both Jake and Hendricks were better. Remember his big free agent signing in Boston? JD Drew. Also hugely under achieved.

    What does he do this year but go out and sign another second baseman since apparently, Baez, Zobrist, Bote and Happ are not enough, while your best guy in development Nico will also be playing there.

    Theo needs to build teams, win a world series, then walk away.
    109 years since the last back to back world titles

  3. #3
    All-Star chibears55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    12,821

    Default

    Would I like him to sign Harper and a quality end of pen arm?

    Sure

    But it not like their going into 2019 with a bunch of no name bench guys starting everywhere..

    They basically have the same team that won a WS a couple years ago..
    And they potentially have a better starting rotation in place

    So, yeah there alot of question marks with a couple position players and whether or not they will hit better then they did last year, but after thinking about it, I think 2019 could either be a pretty good year for the cubs and we see guys like Contreras, Schwarber, etc. become solid players or we find out that their not as good as we hoped and Theo makes those changes next off season...

  4. #4
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,992

    Default

    What the fuck are you people smoking? Jon Lester has literally been one of the best FA signings in Chicago history,in any sport. The only other case to be made is for Hossa.

    This forum sometimes...

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would I like him to sign Harper and a quality end of pen arm?

    Sure

    But it not like their going into 2019 with a bunch of no name bench guys starting everywhere..

    They basically have the same team that won a WS a couple years ago..
    And they potentially have a better starting rotation in place

    So, yeah there alot of question marks with a couple position players and whether or not they will hit better then they did last year, but after thinking about it, I think 2019 could either be a pretty good year for the cubs and we see guys like Contreras, Schwarber, etc. become solid players or we find out that their not as good as we hoped and Theo makes those changes next off season...
    Guys I just went through our entire lineup as it probably will be because Bryce is either going to sign with the Phillies or the Cubs because u guys remember they had a 3 hour meeting at the winter meetings and said call us before u sign anything then Ricketts either green lights it or douching it.

    We will see.

  6. #6
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What the fuck are you people smoking? Jon Lester has literally been one of the best FA signings in Chicago history,in any sport. The only other case to be made is for Hossa.

    This forum sometimes...
    True. But you can't argue that most or all of the other big money signings have failed to meet expectations thus far.

  7. #7
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would I like him to sign Harper and a quality end of pen arm?

    Sure

    But it not like their going into 2019 with a bunch of no name bench guys starting everywhere..

    They basically have the same team that won a WS a couple years ago..
    And they potentially have a better starting rotation in place

    So, yeah there alot of question marks with a couple position players and whether or not they will hit better then they did last year, but after thinking about it, I think 2019 could either be a pretty good year for the cubs and we see guys like Contreras, Schwarber, etc. become solid players or we find out that their not as good as we hoped and Theo makes those changes next off season...
    Bro,

    Why do so few of u get it. If we get Harper that makes us unbeatable, But if not I took a look at all the career stats of our very young group of core players and hell yes our rotation is better than it was in 2016. I just hope they get some good work from the minor league guys who everyone says is ready. But if u look at their stats up to and including 2018, Almora OPS .700 Bryant (in 4 years) OPS .900, Rizzo OPS .860, Baez (in 4 years) OPS .860, Schwarber OPS .850,Contreras OPS .750. Descalso OPS .700, Heyward OPS .730. We have a great young core of bomber where give them the right coaching and I think they eat people alive. The will be bombing HR's not that they're focus on launch angle with Iopace. Were going the World Series unless we seriously screw up. The best team almost always wins in a 7 game series. We have the best team in the NL. We might have some issues with the Yankees but we'll deal with that when we come to it.

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jooo83 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    True. But you can't argue that most or all of the other big money signings have failed to meet expectations thus far.
    You're really only talking about three signings: Lester, Heyward, and Darvish. He hit the lottery on Lester, Heyward has been bad, and Darvish is an incomplete. That's not enough of a sample size to make any kind of judgment from.

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erwiggins123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bro,

    Why do so few of u get it. If we get Harper that makes us unbeatable, But if not I took a look at all the career stats of our very young group of core players and hell yes our rotation is better than it was in 2016. I just hope they get some good work from the minor league guys who everyone says is ready. But if u look at their stats up to and including 2018, Almora OPS .700 Bryant (in 4 years) OPS .900, Rizzo OPS .860, Baez (in 4 years) OPS .860, Schwarber OPS .850,Contreras OPS .750. Descalso OPS .700, Heyward OPS .730. We have a great young core of bomber where give them the right coaching and I think they eat people alive. The will be bombing HR's not that they're focus on launch angle with Iopace. Were going the World Series unless we seriously screw up. The best team almost always wins in a 7 game series. We have the best team in the NL. We might have some issues with the Yankees but we'll deal with that when we come to it.
    The Cubs, if they signed Harper, could conceivably put out a line up with the following OBP using either the career of low guessitmation for players with just a few years time. I wouldn't say it's the best defensively, but it would get lots of PAs.

    2B Zobrist - .357
    3B Bryant - .385
    RF Harper - .388
    SS Baez - .320
    1B Rizzo - .369
    C Contreras - .349
    LF - Schwarber - .339
    CF Happ - .341

    That could be sick or sickening.

  10. #10
    Premium Member CRM 114's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,368

    Default

    Yeah Cubs fans are going to riot at a meaningless convention about a team with a World Series roster not signing anyone. This isn't Vancouver.

  11. #11
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castor76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Cubs, if they signed Harper, could conceivably put out a line up with the following OBP using either the career of low guessitmation for players with just a few years time. I wouldn't say it's the best defensively, but it would get lots of PAs.

    2B Zobrist - .357
    3B Bryant - .385
    RF Harper - .388
    SS Baez - .320
    1B Rizzo - .369
    C Contreras - .349
    LF - Schwarber - .339
    CF Happ - .341

    That could be sick or sickening.
    It would be sick. Bryce Harper is no Albert Pujols who u sign a 10 year deal with and by year 5 you're questioning your sanity. He's 26 which means we get him until he's 36. But if u look at the OPS of the Cubs player (and Harper) almost every one with the exception of Heyward and Descalso have an OPS over .800. Bryant and Harper have an OPS over .900. I really hope we snag him from the Philles when they call Theo and say this is our offer and Theo adds a year and opt outs and other shit these guys love in contracts and we got him. The Cubs take in almost $700M a year in revenue and that number is sure to go up when they get their own TV station and make more improvements to the area right around Wrigley. I went to a playoff game in 2016 and I didn't even recognize the place, in a good way. Ricketts has done some great things for this team, now we need him to pull the trigger on a deal with Harper.

  12. #12
    Bears zack54attack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Forest Park
    Posts
    11,220

    Default

    Cubs fans will riot over someone cutting the autograph line before they will not signing Harper/Machado.
    I'm a Chicagoan till Chicago ends,
    Till we blow like Chicago wind


    Hidden Content

  13. #13
    All-Star CSF77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    11,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erwiggins123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bro,

    Why do so few of u get it. If we get Harper that makes us unbeatable, But if not I took a look at all the career stats of our very young group of core players and hell yes our rotation is better than it was in 2016. I just hope they get some good work from the minor league guys who everyone says is ready. But if u look at their stats up to and including 2018, Almora OPS .700 Bryant (in 4 years) OPS .900, Rizzo OPS .860, Baez (in 4 years) OPS .860, Schwarber OPS .850,Contreras OPS .750. Descalso OPS .700, Heyward OPS .730. We have a great young core of bomber where give them the right coaching and I think they eat people alive. The will be bombing HR's not that they're focus on launch angle with Iopace. Were going the World Series unless we seriously screw up. The best team almost always wins in a 7 game series. We have the best team in the NL. We might have some issues with the Yankees but we'll deal with that when we come to it.
    I doubt the Yanks are the class act. Astroes are better. Red Sox are there also.

    NL I believe the power rankings are LAD then Nat's. Then it gets clustered with CHC, Mil, NYM. Next tier is PHI, STL and Atl.

    So sure either Harper or Manny would take any tier 2 and push them into tier 1 of their league.

  14. #14
    All-Star chibears55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    12,821

    Default

    They keep saying there a big announcement coming at the convention this weekend...

    Guessing it the tv deal

  15. #15
    All-Star CSF77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    11,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They keep saying there a big announcement coming at the convention this weekend...

    Guessing it the tv deal
    https://www.wrigleythroughmyeyes.com/#/

  16. #16
    All-Star chibears55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    12,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CSF77 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If that what it is...

  17. #17
    All-Star
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CSF77 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This a joke?

  18. #18
    All-Star CSF77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    11,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This a joke?
    Nope

  19. #19
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Look at this:
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...pring-training

    Cubs are 5th behind the Red Sox, Yankees, Astros, and Dodgers.

    I disagree the Dodgers are better than the Cubs. They traded away Puig, Alex Wood, and Matt Kemp. Ostensibly to clear salary to go after Haper. Either the Phillies or the Cubs will sign Harper. The Dodgers signed a catcher that's it.

  20. #20
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very good explanation on why Theo should not sign anybody since he has pretty much under achieved on all his signings other than Zobrist. Lester was not even the best pitcher his first year here, you can argue first two when both Jake and Hendricks were better. Remember his big free agent signing in Boston? JD Drew. Also hugely under achieved.

    What does he do this year but go out and sign another second baseman since apparently, Baez, Zobrist, Bote and Happ are not enough, while your best guy in development Nico will also be playing there.

    Theo needs to build teams, win a world series, then walk away.

    Don't forger the bad trades he has made, specifically Eloy Jiminez and Dylan Cease for Jose Qunitana. Screw Byrce Harper. I'd rather have Jiminez. The guy has one of the best swings in the game. He hit .355 in Triple-A. If we still had him we win the World Series for sure. I still think if the guys we have play to their potential we have a great shot at it but could you imagine Jiminez hitting cleanup for the Cubs? This trade was stupid. I hope that Theo starts doing again what he does best; build a great farm system because the next Eloy is out there. The Cubs have the best scouting and development staff in the league and we have the best man to build a winning team; Theo Epstein. Maybe we should let someone else handle free agency and have Theo focus on player development. Remember he built the Cubs from shit in 2012 to a juggernaut in 2015 and beyond. I think that last year was an abberation. Bryant was injured, Yu Darvish barely pitched, Chatwood couldnt't find the strike zone. If we get these 3 guys going to their potential the Cubs are going to be hard to beat. John Smoltz said the exact same thing on the MLB network. He said when a team wins 95 games with all those injuries and setbacks, the next year they probably win over 100 and compete for the World Series.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •