Ed Reed open to joining Chuck Pagano's coaching staff

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure what it would hurt to bring him on in some capacity...

Nothing, I like him but to insert a guy even with him a 1st ballot HOF player into anything other than an assistant role would be a reach.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
read Bowen's twitter comments re the Patriots game and statistics about avg. proximity to WR's by DB's

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"Prior to accepting his job with the Bears, Pagano was set to be the head coach of the American Team in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl this week, and Reed was supposed to be his defensive coordinator."

Can't be awful....

That would be a good way for Reed to gain experience...having Pagano watching over his shoulder. Doubtful he'd get that chance at the NFL level.

Svic

Liked Posts:
I just haven't heard anything about him and his coaching. While we're at it though, lets call Urlacher and Tillman in too.

Pretty sure reed was part of bills staff in 2016

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Well, he coached the bills unit a couple years back. Their db's are pretty solid. Rex Ryan got fired and he got the cut too.

He officially retired in 2015. Not like he has had much of a chance to coach, right?

We can bring on as many assistant coaches and position coaches as needed. If he wants to be here and we want him here, I don't see how it hurts at all. Bring him in as an assistant db coach, worst case scenario you get rid of him next year. Wouldn't be any different than what Zach Miller is doing nowadays.

Yeah, I agree, it can't hurt to have him on staff, but I'm not going to blow my load over a previous player coaching until I actually know he can coach. A short stint for the Bills isn't very impressive.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I agree, it can't hurt to have him on staff, but I'm not going to blow my load over a previous player coaching until I actually know he can coach. A short stint for the Bills isn't very impressive.

Not saying it is, but everyone has to start somewhere. Ed will at least be able to give his insight in the film room just like Zach Miller does for Nagy/Biscuit. That at minimum helps.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"Prior to accepting his job with the Bears, Pagano was set to be the head coach of the American Team in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl this week, and Reed was supposed to be his defensive coordinator."

Can't be awful....

So Pagano could be bringing Reed along as assistant DC if the Bears are ok with it.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
With some of the unqualified garbage hired at HC recently, I don't see why anyone would have problem with Reed coming here.
He's smart and intense....those are the qualities we need on "D"

Speed

Liked Posts:
If he can legit coach multiple different styles of DB's bring him in.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So Pagano could be bringing Reed along as assistant DC if the Bears are ok with it.

It happens more than you think Dan Campbell is an example. Guys like Peyton Manning, Mark Sanchez, and Urlacher would be good coaches you can usually tell pretty early on.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
With some of the b.s. in coach hiring.....how could anybody question bringing Reed in? Reed is a smart guy who deserves a shot

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Ed Reed was the assistant DB coach for the Buffalo Bills in 2016 and Kentucky was interested in hiring Ed Reed.

Falcons Dan Quinn and other teams have been bringing Ed Reed in for coaching seminars.