Quick thoughts on the divisional playoff games - "return to normalcy"

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Was actually able to watch all of the games...I guess people were upset with blowouts, but I thought each game was interesting in their own right. I've always thought the best offense is a balanced offense, and this slate of game provided evidence of this (for one week, at least!).

KC-IND: I thought the Colts looked most impressive in the WC round, but they kind of stunk in all phases. I liked how Mahomes didn't force anything early...he didn't try to get Kelce his touches or Hill on a big play. I liked Reid's gameplan of using his running game and taking some pressure of Mahomes. I was afraid that Mahomes would feel obligated to get a TD on every dropback, and that wasn't the case. The Colts lost their shit right away. KC opened the game with a TD drive, and the Colts offense was pass-pass-pass-punt. Not very efficient. Luck wasn't very sharp, but the Colts made themselves one-dimensional for some reason. Yeah, KC's offense could drive the ball, but the game wasn't a blowout, especially after the punt block TD. I thought KC played intelligently, the Colts played dumb, and I'm looking forward to an outdoor cold weather AFC championship.

Rams-Cowboys: I thought McVay's gameplan was great and similar to Reid's...use the running game to take pressure off your young QB who might feel like he has to do everything. McVay even allowed for Gurley to be a change-of-pace RB, relying more on CJ Anderson's power runs. Dallas second-level defense seemed confused all game long...Rams would run counters and pull their OL/TEs, and the Dallas LBs/DBs would stand in place until they were walled off from the play. They never tried to fire into the gaps or attack at the snap. I was surprised that the Cowboys never changed up their defense. I wasn't impressed with Dak Prescott, but he somehow kept Dallas in the game (1 of 10 on 3rd downs!). A late PI in the endzone gifted the Cowboys a TD with two minutes left, and despite giving up about 250 rushing yards at that point in the game, Jason Garrett elected to kick deep, hoping his defense could force a 3-and-out. Gimme a break!

Pats-Chargers: I was not impressed with the Chargers in the WC, especially Phillip Rivers. He looked bad, but Lamar Jackson played worse. I hadn't watched much of the Pats this year, so I wasn't really understanding all the talk about how they would sorely miss Josh Gordon. I figured the Pats would win easily, and they did. Edelman is such a tough player, both over the middle and with his blocking. Similar to Reid/McVay, Belichick's gameplan had a heavy dose of running and pounding the ball. Every time Develin came into the game at FB, either a 1st down or a TD was the result. That said, Brady was sharp all game with some incredibly precise throws, and I'm not sure what the Chargers could have done differently. Rivers wasn't any good and the Chargers completely abandoned the run game, but at least they were down 35-7 so they have more of an excuse than Indy.

Eagles-Saints: Funny game to me, because the thought was that the Saints would start slow because they had been resting players while the Eagles had been in a "win-or-else" mode for the last 6 weeks. What happens? Eagles start hot, Saints start slow, and people are surprised at a 14-0 lead. I was not one of those people. I thought the key to the game was Brees remaining calm after early struggles, and the Saints defense asserting itself and keeping Philly off the scoreboard completely (not even a FG!) for their next 8 drives. It seemed like Philly had success running Smallwood on their first two TD drives, then they went away from a balanced offense and had Foles dropping back every down, and being one-dimensional played into NO's hands. I've seen the Saints run that fake punt with Taysom Hill a few times before, and I honestly thought they would be doing it again after Pederson declined the penalty to setup a 4th and short. That whole sequence was weird, because it seemed like the regular Eagle DL was in for the punt, so perhaps Pederson knew it was going to be a fake...so I don't know why he declined the penalty in the first place...yet the Saints went ahead with the fake and ran Hill right at Fletcher Cox and easily picked up the 1st down...so nothing about that play makes sense. Maybe it's just me. Anyway, for all the praise thrown at Sean Payton/Drew Brees and Co., the Eagles still had a good shot at scoring the winning TD at the end of the game if Alshon Jeffery holds onto a pass. The narrative could have been completely different.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
For all the praise Brees gets? It's not much.

All I hear about is Alson's drop and Brees is largely ignored. He always flies under the radar imo. Definitely the quietest QB to put together a HOF resume.

But it is entirely possible that it is a regional media thing.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

All I hear about is Alson's drop and Brees is largely ignored. He always flies under the radar imo. Definitely the quietest QB to put together a HOF resume.

He's in commercials, tho. That is my criteria.

My "praise" comment was specific to that game...the Saints got praised for their big comeback win, but they almost pissed it away at the end, IMO.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Even if Pederson did think the fake punt was coming, you still take the penalty to possibly get a turnover on downs and great field position. Also, the PHI DL had been dominating in the run game, especially up the middle, so it was a pretty good chance to get the ball back.

I watched most of that game and to me it look like the Saints were hanging on by a thread until the 2nd half. Brees was missing deep passes, and Foles was magic'ing the shit out his passes, and that 4th down conversion TD that got them back in seemed to be the most difficult score (the Tay Tay Hill TD pass to Kamara was called back).

Overall, I wasn't impressed with the Saints as a "juggernaut" like in the regular season. I'd bet NE handles the Saints if it comes to that.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I watched most of that game and to me it look like the Saints were hanging on by a thread until the 2nd half. Brees was missing deep passes, and Foles was magic'ing the shit out his passes, and that 4th down conversion TD that got them back in seemed to be the most difficult score (the Tay Tay Hill TD pass to Kamara was called back).

Overall, I wasn't impressed with the Saints as a "juggernaut" like in the regular season. I'd bet NE handles the Saints if it comes to that.

Yeah, that 4th and goal TD was far from a sure thing. Philly had the play covered, but Brees fit the ball between the sideline and the defender, and the defender didn't really react to the pass.

I love the retrofit narrative now of how there is such a wide gap between the 1&2 seeds and the rest of the teams in the conferences. I wasn't impressed with the Saints, and if anything I think their defense won the game moreso than their offense. The Bears defense could have stopped either the Rams or the Saints offense, and I think the Bears definitely would have given the Rams a better game than Dallas. I was reading in a different CCS thread how Trubisky was throwing lasers against Philly and had Miller hung on and Robinson dragged his toes Trubisky would have had a huge game....yet its too bad that Trubisky kind of putzed around for over half that Eagles game, because had the Bears done a little bit more on offense, we could very easily be looking forward to a Bears NFC Championship game.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, that 4th and goal TD was far from a sure thing. Philly had the play covered, but Brees fit the ball between the sideline and the defender, and the defender didn't really react to the pass.

I love the retrofit narrative now of how there is such a wide gap between the 1&2 seeds and the rest of the teams in the conferences. I wasn't impressed with the Saints, and if anything I think their defense won the game moreso than their offense. The Bears defense could have stopped either the Rams or the Saints offense, and I think the Bears definitely would have given the Rams a better game than Dallas. I was reading in a different CCS thread how Trubisky was throwing lasers against Philly and had Miller hung on and Robinson dragged his toes Trubisky would have had a huge game....yet its too bad that Trubisky kind of putzed around for over half that Eagles game, because had the Bears done a little bit more on offense, we could very easily be looking forward to a Bears NFC Championship game.

Yes. Exactly yes.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:

How are you flying under the radar when your name is being mentioned through most of the season as an MVP candidate even while there is much national media attention being given to records he's breaking along the way?

Truth is Brees has tailed off, and that means MVP for Mahomes and it also means the Saints would not be where they are without their defense. How unusual does that sound? Perhaps it's the Saints defense that's been flying under the radar.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Some people just want to pretend the Bears were a year away to make them feel better about the loss because you know we weren't gong to the SB anyways.

By contrast, what I saw this weekend made it obvious to me that if we had performed like just an average offense, we likely would be going to the NFC championship right now.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
How are you flying under the radar when your name is being mentioned through most of the season as an MVP candidate even while there is much national media attention being given to records he's breaking along the way?

Truth is Brees has tailed off, and that means MVP for Mahomes and it also means the Saints would not be where they are without their defense. How unusual does that sound? Perhaps it's the Saints defense that's been flying under the radar.

Under the radar in terms of top QBs ever.

Also, even this season's MVP he has had next to zero attention compared to Mahomes all year long around where I am.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Some people just want to pretend the Bears were a year away to make them feel better about the loss because you know we weren't gong to the SB anyways.

By contrast, what I saw this weekend made it obvious to me that if we had performed like just an average offense, we likely would be going to the NFC championship right now.

I think a lot of people like to apply a template of past achievement to the current situation.

In a lot of people's minds, Nagy was a more successful Pederson Year One where Doug got decent play from Wentz with a 7 - 9 record and Year Two is where it all came together for Wentz (also Doug P. schemed Foles to great QB play in postseason).

Templates like that are faulty in that they are subject to lots of variations among factors that differ and outnumber the sum total of factors that are similar or similar appearing.

I agree with you: play to win now. There may be a better shot 1 - 2 years from now, but it is also perfectly possible that there may never be another shot as good as the one we had.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The one item I noticed - If you give a good team an extra week to prepare, it typically shows.

For those wondering the Phi/NO game was a perfect microcosm of the Eagles entire season. It had the some highs, lows, near misses, injuries, some luck and ultimately the win just slipped through their hands. I think they carried themselves well for a defending champ. Would have loved to see them get there again, but I also think this is the right way for Foles to move on.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
....yet its too bad that Trubisky kind of putzed around for over half that Eagles game, because had the Bears done a little bit more on offense, we could very easily be looking forward to a Bears NFC Championship game.

Don't do that. It's just a bad rabbit hole to put yourself down. Focusing on the PHI/NO game for a second every time I think of 'if Foles could have lead him a bit more' or 'if they just got that one stop' I end up feeling sad. What's done is done. For Chicago you guys had a great season and have a lot to be proud of. Focusing on what could have been will only take away from that.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Under the radar in terms of top QBs ever.

Also, even this season's MVP he has had next to zero attention compared to Mahomes all year long around where I am.
Still don't think so. Brees has received as much media attention as any elite QB playing today, all of whom would be considered candidates for GOAT.

In week 3, Brees was recognized for breaking the all time completions record. Then during a Monday Night game, play was stopped to celebrate Brees breaking the all time passing yards record.

[video=youtube;XXqXHPT4aMw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXqXHPT4aMw[/video]

Brees was on fire for the first 11 games, throwing 29 TDs and only 2 INTs averaging 285 yards per game. Over his last 4 games he had the tail off, throwing 3 TDs and 3 INTs averaging 243 ypg.

It's the defense that has kept the Saints at the top as the offensive output slowed.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Still don't think so. Brees has received as much media attention as any elite QB playing today, all of whom would be considered candidates for GOAT.

In week 3, Brees was recognized for breaking the all time completions record. Then during a Monday Night game, play was stopped to celebrate Brees breaking the all time passing yards record.

[video=youtube;XXqXHPT4aMw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXqXHPT4aMw[/video]

Brees was on fire for the first 11 games, throwing 29 TDs and only 2 INTs averaging 285 yards per game. Over his last 4 games he had the tail off, throwing 3 TDs and 3 INTs averaging 243 ypg.

It's the defense that has kept the Saints at the top as the offensive output slowed.

I know all this.

This is unscientific and focused solely on a poll done on local sports radio but a list of top ten greatest QBs was voted on by callers with the two hosts chiming in with their opinions. No caller gave Brees higher than #8 and only one of the hosts had Brees in top 5 while the other host had Brees at 10 (after having to be talked out of putting fucking Bradshaw BEFORE Brees because "rings" lol)

Beyond that radio show (which happened during this football year so Brees already had the attention for all-time yards), I regularly see people talk Rodgers this Brady that and Brees is either a footnote or not mentioned.

I understand a lot of this is subjectivity and again probably regional but from where I sit, Brees is one of the best ever and gets far less mentions than Brady and even Rodgers who is WAY off Brees' numbers and may never get there.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I know all this.

This is unscientific and focused solely on a poll done on local sports radio but a list of top ten greatest QBs was voted on by callers with the two hosts chiming in with their opinions. No caller gave Brees higher than #8 and only one of the hosts had Brees in top 5 while the other host had Brees at 10 (after having to be talked out of putting fucking Bradshaw BEFORE Brees because "rings" lol)

Beyond that radio show (which happened during this football year so Brees already had the attention for all-time yards), I regularly see people talk Rodgers this Brady that and Brees is either a footnote or not mentioned.

I understand a lot of this is subjectivity and again probably regional but from where I sit, Brees is one of the best ever and gets far less mentions than Brady and even Rodgers who is WAY off Brees' numbers and may never get there.

I think the "impact" of Rodgers has been overstated simply because that team was virtually unbeatable to the Bears for so long. outside their 1 SB run, he's kind of choked a fair amount in the playoffs, and in other instances against like the Giants and 49ers for a time, just beaten. Brees played on awful teams there and still balled out. I seriously had to check his stats last month and he has something like 3 5000 yard seasons to his credit. he's basically "our" Marino, except he won the big one once. I think Marino had the same issue where his name is largely tucked away.

I think Brady does belong in that conversation though, he's the winningest quarterback in the postseason. look at how many AFC championships they've been to in a row now, isn't it 8 now they said? ffs

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nice takes. 2 things I took away from the weekend are: We can play with anyone in the NFC. Not so sure about KC or the the Pats in playoff mode. Pats always look like they step it up in Jan.

and: Rivers had a great year and can still play but he's lost velocity. I suspect his motion requires more strength and doesn't age that well.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
he's basically "our" Marino, except he won the big one once. I think Marino had the same issue where his name is largely tucked away.

Marino's career arc was kind of like the opposite of Brees. Marino's 1984 season was perhaps the biggest individual season I've ever witnessed...in some sense, it came out of nowhere because he was only a part-time starter in 1983, and it was so far out there statistically. Mahomes had a big year this year and its a big story, but everyone puts up passing numbers in this era. Marino's 1984 season came right after Dan Fouts established that 4000 yards in a season was attainable...and then Marino immediately throws for 5000. The TD record had been 36 and had stood since 1962...Marino shattered the record with 48. It would be like Mahomes throwing for 6000 yards and 64 TDs.

Anyways, my point is that Marino was the biggest name in football at the start of his career, but after awhile you might see him on a random MNF game and say "oh yeah, Marino." Brees didn't have a big splash early in his career, but he's been so productive that now people are looking back on his body of work and coming away impressed.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It would be like Mahomes throwing for 6000 yards and 64 TDs.

That would be sick. I don't think it's even possible unless a QB who threw that also had zero defense so he would be also facing an unprecedented number of shootouts all year long due to an uncanny dearth in defensive talent coupled with a few explosive Pro Bowl weapons on offense.

But I typed out that observation because I wonder how many in 1984 (?) thought the same way. And Miami was definitely light in the defense during those days.