Pace and Nagy Year End Press Conference

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The offense and Trubisky for sure got more conservative after he got hurt and the Rams game.

I think that was part of the reason for the low point total.

Nagy realized that as they approached the playoffs the defense was going to win games and the offense had to compliment them, and that is what they did going 4-0 and winning the division. They actually really officially turned the team over to the defense when Trubisky got hurt.

They did the same thing in the playoffs. Played conservative/complimentary offense and it would have worked again if not for Parkey. That wasn’t going to win them a Super Bowl, but it should have beaten the Eagles.

Obviously, in 2019 the offense needs to be more than that.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Lol, 24 points is not destroying anyone on offense.

I said this once before, but I think the biggest coaching error was how Nagy had the Bears evidently sky-high to play a meaningless game against Minnesota, then the obligatory letdown occurred the following week against Philly, i.e. the game that actually counted.

The Bears performance against Minnesota was incredible. The Vikings had finally gotten their defensive players back from injury and were playing at home for their playoff lives. They had allowed 17ppg in their last 7 games. The Bears dominated them on both sides of the line. The offense did whatever it wanted to do. No turnovers or sacks, 8-14 on 3rd down, almost 38 minutes of TOP. I thought it was the Bears' most impressive offensive performance of the year considering the circumstances.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I said this once before, but I think the biggest coaching error was how Nagy had the Bears evidently sky-high to play a meaningless game against Minnesota, then the obligatory letdown occurred the following week against Philly, i.e. the game that actually counted.

The Bears performance against Minnesota was incredible. The Vikings had finally gotten their defensive players back from injury and were playing at home for their playoff lives. They had allowed 17ppg in their last 7 games. The Bears dominated them on both sides of the line. The offense did whatever it wanted to do. No turnovers or sacks, 8-14 on 3rd down, almost 38 minutes of TOP. I thought it was the Bears' most impressive offensive performance of the year considering the circumstances.

I felt similarly about the Packers game. They were efficient in control, did not make big mistakes, and had a really impressive 24 points, albeit against a worse opponent but one that has haunted them.

Obviously TB and Detroit were the best statistical games for the offense, but I do not think they were the most impressive.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild

remy's reasoning for it is teetering on the "perception does not equal reality" level.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The offense and Trubisky for sure got more conservative after he got hurt and the Rams game.

I think that was part of the reason for the low point total.

Nagy realized that as they approached the playoffs the defense was going to win games and the offense had to compliment them, and that is what they did going 4-0 and winning the division. They actually really officially turned the team over to the defense when Trubisky got hurt.

They did the same thing in the playoffs. Played conservative/complimentary offense and it would have worked again if not for Parkey. That wasn’t going to win them a Super Bowl, but it should have beaten the Eagles.

Obviously, in 2019 the offense needs to be more than that.

Nagy was billed as this really aggressive offensive minded coach so why would I be satisfied that he went into a shell as you described above particularly when we all know he had a kicker that was unreliable and playing this way may result in having to rely on said kicker?

Point being, there is no absolution here for Nagy. He fucked up a great season by not remaining aggressive and he should be called out for it. If all we wanted to do was win on defense then we should have just made Fangio the head coach but it is entirely fair to demand more from the offensive genius.

Doesn't mean he won't improve. Doesn't mean he is not coach of the year. But let's call a spade a spade. Relying on D to win and hoping Parkey could make 4 kicks was not the right plan. If you going to go down, go down playing your game and your game is supposed to be offense not playing Lovie Smith ball.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nagy was billed as this really aggressive offensive minded coach so why would I be satisfied that he went into a shell as you described above particularly when we all know he had a kicker that was unreliable and playing this way may result in having to rely on said kicker?

Point being, there is no absolution here for Nagy. He fucked up a great season by not remaining aggressive and he should be called out for it. If all we wanted to do was win on defense then we should have just made Fangio the head coach but it is entirely fair to demand more from the offensive genius.

Doesn't mean he won't improve. Doesn't mean he is not coach of the year. But let's call a spade a spade. Relying on D to win and hoping Parkey could make 4 kicks was not the right plan. If you going to go down, go down playing your game and your game is supposed to be offense not playing Lovie Smith ball.

Because in the scenario they were in they could ride the defense to wins. It worked for 4/5 games and should have worked in the 5th game. The game in 2018 was never offense, it wasn't going to be offense, they were in the first year of building the offense. Nagy told you in his introductory press conference that the offense wasn't going to carry them and it was a process.

When the pressure/stakes went up he leaned on the best unit on the team. He leaned on a dominant defense and not an inconsistent offense.

I can guarantee if they had stayed aggressive and lost to the Packers, Vikings, or Eagles because of turnovers then people would be killing him for not getting out of the way of the defense.

The result sucked, so either approach would be criticized.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I don't disagree with much of the above. The issue I have is 8-14 on 3rd down and 38 minutes of ToP generally would result in a lot more than 24 points for an actual elite offensive team. The offense shows promise and at times can move the ball well but it doesn't convert all of that into points at a rate you would expect. They are not closing out their opportunities IMO and that falls on Nagy to fix. They will move the ball well and then get some delay of game or illegal shift or simply take too long to get plays in and then things will bog down.

Even on that last drive, they wasted so much fucking time after the ARob catch and then still burned a timeout. If they were more efficient getting plays in and being prepared then they would have probably saved the TO or some time but instead they looked lackadaisical trying to get another play off. And we have seen that for much of the year. He focuses on all his fancy bells and whistles but then the little things like this is the difference between a TD and a Parkey miss.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I did not say they went into a shell.

I said they ceded the drivers seat to the defense, which was the logical thing to do.

The mistake was against the Eagles, the defense did not have its fast ball, and the offense was not ready to offset the small defensive let down. That is more of an entire season development issue, than a in the moment mistake.

We knew at some point that the Bears were going to sacrifice offensive development to clinch the division and a playoff appearance.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
My biggest disappointment from the year is still not going for 2 against the Giants.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't disagree with much of the above. The issue I have is 8-14 on 3rd down and 38 minutes of ToP generally would result in a lot more than 24 points for an actual elite offensive team. The offense shows promise and at times can move the ball well but it doesn't convert all of that into points at a rate you would expect. They are not closing out their opportunities IMO and that falls on Nagy to fix. They will move the ball well and then get some delay of game or illegal shift or simply take too long to get plays in and then things will bog down.

Even on that last drive, they wasted so much fucking time after the ARob catch and then still burned a timeout. If they were more efficient getting plays in and being prepared then they would have probably saved the TO or some time but instead they looked lackadaisical trying to get another play off. And we have seen that for much of the year. He focuses on all his fancy bells and whistles but then the little things like this is the difference between a TD and a Parkey miss.

Those are fair expectations for next season.

That is the fine tuning and development that the offense needs to take as they take the step from Nagy Offense for Beginners to Nagy Offense Stage 2.

If those same issues persist next season then we really have something to talk about.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Because in the scenario they were in they could ride the defense to wins. It worked for 4/5 games and should have worked in the 5th game. The game in 2018 was never offense, it wasn't going to be offense, they were in the first year of building the offense. Nagy told you in his introductory press conference that the offense wasn't going to carry them and it was a process.

When the pressure/stakes went up he leaned on the best unit on the team. He leaned on a dominant defense and not an inconsistent offense.

I can guarantee if they had stayed aggressive and lost to the Packers, Vikings, or Eagles because of turnovers then people would be killing him for not getting out of the way of the defense.

The result sucked, so either approach would be criticized.

Who rides a defense to wins when you have a shitty placekicker? That is a dumb strategy as inevitably defensive games tend to result in having to use your kicker. And yes he probably still gets criticized but again if I am going to get shit, I prefer getting shit playing my game not someone else's. Relying on the D is Lovie's game. Should not have been Nagy's.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My biggest disappointment from the year is still not going for 2 against the Giants.

Again, he had faith in an elite defense, which is fair, and they were not elite in that game.

I have no issue with Nagy having more faith in the defense than the offense. They have more talent and have been playing together in the same unit longer.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think people are confusing aggressive with successful.

The Bears offense was very aggressive at times. It was in the top ten of 20+ yard throws.........

The problem is they just weren't good enough yet to actually execute on that aggressiveness.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I did not say they went into a shell.

I said they ceded the drivers seat to the defense, which was the logical thing to do.

The mistake was against the Eagles, the defense did not have its fast ball, and the offense was not ready to offset the small defensive let down. That is more of an entire season development issue, than a in the moment mistake.

We knew at some point that the Bears were going to sacrifice offensive development to clinch the division and a playoff appearance.

Yeah and this is where I disagree. The D gave up 16 points when they average 17.7. They caused two interceptions. So yes the TD at the end sucked but they were ultimately fine defensively.

Using the D as a crutch with again a shitty kicker is exactly why we lost.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Those are fair expectations for next season.

That is the fine tuning and development that the offense needs to take as they take the step from Nagy Offense for Beginners to Nagy Offense Stage 2.

If those same issues persist next season then we really have something to talk about.

Again, will have to agree to disagree. I would much rather they had the fundamentals down in terms of running plays and being efficient than all the bells and whistles. You get them grounded in the basics and fundamentals first then you add the uber complex stuff. Far too often this year, Nagy tried to run stuff that it was clear the offense had not quite mastered. Hence the poor execution, delay of games, illegal motion and shift issues. We saw far more of those than I can recall in recent memory and I would be surprised if we weren't near the top of the NFL in those penalties.

In short, I think this year Nagy got too far ahead of the team. We would have been better off running plays the O knew inside out efficiently than trying to get all the tricks in there. At times, Nagy unnecessarily complicates things and doesn't quite understand that sometimes less is more and can actually allow you to be more aggressive than the fancy stuff.