Say you were in Naggy's shoes and you had to do it all over again

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't matter, we aren't a boss team yet anyway. We have a ways to go to become super bowl game playing good. Might as well ruin the Vikes season.

Midway Monsters

Liked Posts:
Nope. You don’t want to play the same team three times. Plus it’s a division rival. The Bears gave them something to think about for next year and realize that the Bears now own this division.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I’ve do what Nagy did this past season again. Really, this stupid ass question again?

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Unpopular opinion. Yes. Get the Vikings and what equates to a first round bye basically

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

WestyInTheFlat

Liked Posts:
No chance.
You. Play.to.win.the.game.
Herm

Are you playing to win the game or playing to win the Superbowl?

Disclaimer: Eagles fan here, coming over from my home forum to see if this question was being discussed over here. It is a very valid question that I've thought about a lot, and teams that are highly confident in themselves wouldn't have any problem making such a maneuver to gain a future competitive advantage. I thought this only happened in other sports and never in football, until I found out that the 49ers most likely did it when they lost their last game of the season to the Rams, in order to let them into the playoffs and keep the Giants out. (Phil Simms was mighty pissed.) The Rams went on to lose to the Vikings in the wildcard round, while the 49ers went on to win the Superbowl.

In football, I don't think you can ever ask a player to put forth a sub-par performance, but what you can do is put the bottom end of your roster out there and ask them to perform the best that they can. After all, they need to be ready and battle-tested down the stretch at a moment's notice when an injury occurs. If they end up winning the game for you, then so be it.

The 2 best-performing teams in both conferences are awarded a first-round bye, thus preventing a first-round mishap in the playoffs and there is no shame in it. You guys had a 12 win season and in a sense that accomplishment awarded you the luxury of literally choosing your first round opponent. There would have been no shame in exercising that reward if it was applied in a respectable manner. All of us in Eagle country were Bears fans in week 17, and were certainly glad that you didn't let up, but the unspoken question in the back of our minds at that time was "What do the Bears really want here!"

I see football analysts, media, ex-coaches, all harping on aggression, aggression, got to always stay aggressive, and then we learn from the Patriots-Falcons Superbowl that there is a time to take your foot off of the gas pedal and go into "game-control" mode to lock up the victory.

-- WestyInTheFlat

Screen pass to Brian Westbrook in the flat, weaving thru the traffic -- the most beautiful play in football.....

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In hindsight, get another kicker for the playoffs.....

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd say there'd never come the time I'd let another team beat mine.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
If was able to do it all again as Nagy, I would have won the Vikes games and then right after, walked into Pace's office and told him I quit if we don't get a new kicker.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Week 17 had nothing to do with the Wild Card game.

The Bears are better than the Eagles. They should have won that game.

Blame Parkey. Blame the defense on that last drive. Blame the offense for only putting up 15.

But I’m not blaming Nagy for knocking the fucking Vikings out of the playoffs.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think so. Cousins is pretty mediocre. I thonk Philly had a better defense as well

Wouldn't have mattered. Think about how all the kickers performed yesterday and you have your answer.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
They made a statement in the division with that win. If Parkey had the proper mental make up, they beat the Eagles too.

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
Week 17 had nothing to do with the Wild Card game.

The Bears are better than the Eagles. They should have won that game.

Blame Parkey. Blame the defense on that last drive. Blame the offense for only putting up 15.

But I’m not blaming Nagy for knocking the fucking Vikings out of the playoffs.

One of the Bears from the 2006 Super Bowl team...may have been Briggs...said that the 2005 playoff loss to the Panthers fueled them for the entire 2006 season. He said that when they walked off the field, they knew they were the better team and had still lost, and they were going to prove it in 2006.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
No. The only regret Nagy should have is not being more aggressive with his play calling earlier against the Eagles