Nagy Found His Out (Matt Nagy not happy about Parkey talking on TV)

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Matt Nagy not happy about Parkey talking on TV

http://theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/74642/Matt-Nagy-not-happy-about-Parkey-talking-on-TV

Bears kicker Cody Parkey's days in Chicago may be numbered, Jeff Dickerson of ESPN Chicago reports.

Head coach Matt Nagy expressed disapproval on Monday with Parkey's decision to appear as a guest on a network morning show a mere five days after he missed a potentially game-winning 43-yard field goal attempt in Chicago's 16-15 playoff loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

"For me, you understand that we always talk about a 'we' and not a 'me' thing," Nagy said at the team's season-ending news conference. "We always talk as a team, we win as a team, we lose as a team. You know, I just, I didn't necessarily think that that was too much of a 'we' thing."

"Again, I didn't think it was a 'we' thing."

Parkey briefly spoke to reporters at his locker in the immediate aftermath of Chicago's postseason defeat but left the team facility the next day before the club's scheduled media availability.

Nagy said he conducted a standard exit interview with Parkey when the season ended, but that the kicker never discussed the prospect of going on national television later in the week.

Parkey fell short of expectations during his first year with the Bears.

Chicago signed the veteran kicker in free agency to a contract that included $9 million in guaranteed money, but Parkey missed 11 total kicks (eight field goals, three extra points) for the Bears, including the ill-fated last-second attempt against the Eagles that bounced off the left upright and hit the crossbar.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Matt Nagy reacts to Cody Parkey talking about his miss on TV

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...tt-nagy-not-happy-cody-parkey-talking-miss-tv

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Bears kicker Cody Parkey's days in Chicago may be numbered.

Head coach Matt Nagy expressed disapproval on Monday with Parkey's decision to appear as a guest on a network morning show a mere five days after he missed a potentially game-winning 43-yard field goal attempt in Chicago's 16-15 playoff loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.
Editor's Picks

"For me, you understand that we always talk about a 'we' and not a 'me' thing," Nagy said at the team's season-ending news conference. "We always talk as a team, we win as a team, we lose as a team. You know, I just, I didn't necessarily think that that was too much of a 'we' thing."

"Again, I didn't think it was a 'we' thing."

Parkey briefly spoke to reporters at his locker in the immediate aftermath of Chicago's postseason defeat but left the team facility the next day before the club's scheduled media availability.

Nagy said he conducted a standard exit interview with Parkey when the season ended, but that the kicker never discussed the prospect of going on national television later in the week.

Parkey fell short of expectations during his first year with the Bears.

Chicago signed the veteran kicker in free agency to a contract that included $9 million in guaranteed money, but Parkey missed 11 total kicks (eight field goals, three extra points) for the Bears, including the ill-fated last-second attempt against the Eagles that bounced off the left upright and hit the crossbar.

The NFL later credited Philadelphia with a blocked field goal after slow-motion replays revealed that Parkey's kick was slightly tipped at the line of scrimmage.

Back in Week 10, Parkey hit the uprights on four separate missed kicks versus the Detroit Lions.

"You're never going to bat a thousand [in free agency]," Bears general manager Ryan Pace said. "I know Cody wishes he had a better season. We wish he had a better season, too. We've just got to evaluate that now. You've got to be honest with yourselves in these. I think as we go forward, that's when we've got to be real and say, hey, that's an important position for us. It's a position of emphasis.

"We want more production out of that position and we're going to get that. We're going to strive for that. That's going to be an area of focus. Our goal, of course, is to hit on every draft pick and every UFA. But that's just not reality. Sometimes when that doesn't happen, you have to self-reflect and be honest and then improve it going forward."

At the minimum, Pace said the Bears will have a kicker competition in 2019, if not an outright change.

"That's going to be an emphasis and focus for us, the kicker position, and there'll definitely be competition there," Pace said.

Chicago will have to carry $4,437,500 worth of dead salary-cap money if it cuts Parkey.

"We talk about those things [the financial ramifications], but the most important thing is performance," Pace said.

Parkey, 26, kicked for the Browns, Eagles and Dolphins before the Bears.

Chicago has been unable to stabilize the kicker position since it released Robbie Gould prior to the 2016 season. Gould went on to make 82 of 85 field goal attempts for the New York Giants and San Francisco 49ers and is a free agent. However, the 49ers are likely to try to sign him to a long-term deal or use the franchise tag to keep him in the Bay Area for 2019 and beyond.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Kind of a brilliant move by Parkey.

Pace kept him on and supported Parkey up til the Eagles game, and then the miss.

Seeing the writing on the wall, Parkey goes on TV and talks about it with no heads up for the Bears. Now when he gets cut June 1, it can be spun by him or any team that takes a flier on him that the cut was really about the TV appearance and use Pace's support for him up to the Eagles game as partial evidence because "how could one miss overturn the support given leading into the game". Don't forget the spin that he was actually 2/3 that game withe extra point and the first attempt he made on Philly's timeout. Also the "block".

No team may be that desperate to sign him in preseason, but later on, maybe ... and the foundation for the PR is laid: Bears had his back until Parkey was cut by the Bears for going on TV without telling anyone.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Pace kept him on and supported Parkey up til the Eagles game, and then the miss.

Seeing the writing on the wall, Parkey goes on TV and talks about it with no heads up for the Bears. Now when he gets cut June 1, it can be spun by him or any team that takes a flier on him that the cut was really about the TV appearance and use Pace's support for him up to the Eagles game as partial evidence because "how could one miss overturn the support given leading into the game". Don't forget the spin that he was actually 2/3 that game withe extra point and the first attempt he made on Philly's timeout. Also the "block".

No team may be that desperate to sign him in preseason, but later on, maybe ... and the foundation for the PR is laid: Bears had his back until Parkey was cut by the Bears for going on TV without telling anyone.

You do make a good point.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:

I don't see the need for spin at all. He was the worst kicker in the league last season and lost us multiple games. You need spin to fire a worker who sucks that bad?

mecha

Liked Posts:
for posterity, the Bears cut Connor Barth after missing a game-tying kick in an otherwise meaningless game in an otherwise lost season. the guy that replaced him sucked even more. Parkey doinks it up and gets to stick around. why exactly was he paid so much? I don't understand.

hopefully there's some kind of recovery phase imminent for the kicker that fixed the secondary and receivers.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
The guy sucks and the fact he aims at a pole for practice is comical. I hope robbie comes back for 2-3 years.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just using the opportunity to display his faith and spread the word.

This is like promoting sea travel after the maiden voyage of the Titanic.

BearsJR

Liked Posts:
I don't see the need for spin at all. He was the worst kicker in the league last season and lost us multiple games. You need spin to fire a worker who sucks that bad?

The spin is Parkeys, not the Bears.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Yeah, because team GMs are hired from the dregs of this board.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Just using the opportunity to display his faith and spread the word.

This is like promoting sea travel after the maiden voyage of the Titanic.
Only if it were the captain of the Titanic who was the one doing the promotion, there were two icebergs that the captain tried to put the Titanic between and that it was proven that moments before impact, a baby whale had run into the Titanic, altering its course.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Oops, someone didn't read what I wrote.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, because team GMs are hired from the dregs of this board.

Another reading-impaired poster.

If you go back and read carefully what I wrote, you will realize what you replied makes zero sense.

But please, for the sake of your sig, keep replying.

It's actually kind of a brilliant move for you.

Who could be pissed or feel any kind of negative way at what you post with that sig?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Only if it were the captain of the Titanic who was the one doing the promotion, there were two icebergs that the captain tried to put the Titanic between and that it was proven that moments before impact, a baby whale had run into the Titanic, altering its course.

Nope, missed the point again.

Jesus "took the wheel" for Parkey and missed. Bearly's point about that is spot on funny.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

This post reminded me of Dennis Miller's time at Monday Night Football.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

Doubt it. The pooched kick trumps all. And if anything, the teams don't want a guy going rogue on TV, ESPECIALLY a lowly kicker. And if it ever gets tot he point where we are counting extra points as kick (I know they a further back now), you know he's a shitty kicker.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
The guy sucks and the fact he aims at a pole for practice is comical. I hope robbie comes back for 2-3 years.

I wonder if SF will actually franchise tag Gould? It wouldn't cost much, but you lose the chance to franchise someone else.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Doubt it. The pooched kick trumps all. And if anything, the teams don't want a guy going rogue on TV, ESPECIALLY a lowly kicker. And if it ever gets tot he point where we are counting extra points as kick (I know they a further back now), you know he's a shitty kicker.

I'm not arguing any team anywhere even wants him TV thing or not. Only that IF a team runs into an emergency situation then they pull out the PR "bullet points" that gives them cover and the fact Parkey was on TV when he wasn't supposed to be is a spin job away from his shit accuracy for the team and their puppet "journalists". Their Larry Mayers.

The local media should see through the BS and point out "screw the TV thing; Parkey flat out sucked for the Bears."

It doesn't mean the team's PR crew will be logical when they do it, only that they feel they NEED to do it "face-wise".