Ereck Flowers at RT ?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We may in the short term take a step back at RT, in order to save cap space and take a long term step forward.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
We may in the short term take a step back at RT, in order to save cap space and take a long term step forward.

Why do you want to take a step back in a year you are trying to go for it? Especially on the offensive line.

What long term step forward...how? How is signing a sub-par replacement at RT a step forward in the long run?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bears know they can find or have similar production in a cheaper player I am cool with that. But just dismissing Massie out of hand because you want to save a few million dollars is stupid.....I don't see how you want to take chances on the Oline regressing.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
What long term step forward...how?

Move Kyle Long back to OT!

I'm not a fan of Massie, and I don't think he fits Nagy's offense because they never simply run Howard straight ahead strongside, but I would much prefer maintaining continuity in the OL (something the Bears haven't had since the Tait/Brown days) and keeping Massie even at an inflated cost than risking disaster by having Pace tread into FA waters and getting someone like Marshall Newhouse.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
6_7940576.jpg

You posted a picture....cool.....what are you trying to say? He was a second round draft choice......the best we have is third.....also this draft is apparently shit for OTs...so I've been told

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Anyone that would recommend Flowers knows nothing about football

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why do you want to take a step back in a year you are trying to go for it? Especially on the offensive line.

What long term step forward...how? How is signing a sub-par replacement at RT a step forward in the long run?

I do not want to, but in reality we may have to. We are also going to probably have to take a step back at SS and maybe even NB, that is the cost of taking a massive step forward at OLB and WR.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the Bears know they can find or have similar production in a cheaper player I am cool with that. But just dismissing Massie out of hand because you want to save a few million dollars is stupid.....I don't see how you want to take chances on the Oline regressing.

Because the Bears are functionally broke when it comes to cap space.

I love steak, but sometimes I have to buy ground beef.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You posted a picture....cool.....what are you trying to say? He was a second round draft choice......the best we have is third.....also this draft is apparently shit for OTs...so I've been told

You should place a little more faith in our man Coward.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You should place a little more faith in our man Coward.

As a fan, I really don't place faith in players just performing because I hope they can. It is up to the coaches to assess what they have and put the right people in place.

If the coaching staff thinks that they have a plan in place to solidify the RT position and that guy is not Massie, so be it.

The worst case scenario is trying to save a few million and hope some guy takes a leap in talent/ability more than what they have seen or expect.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As a fan, I really don't place faith in players just performing because I hope they can. It is up to the coaches to assess what they have and put the right people in place.

If the coaching staff thinks that they have a plan in place to solidify the RT position and that guy is not Massie, so be it.

The worst case scenario is trying to save a few million and hope some guy takes a leap in talent/ability more than what they have seen or expect.

Here is why you should have faith in Coward

1. He was really good in the preseason
2. They kept him around all year for a reason
3. He is a significant athletic upgrade over Massie for the screen and stretch game

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here is why you should have faith in Coward

1. He was really good in the preseason
2. They kept him around all year for a reason
3. He is a significant athletic upgrade over Massie for the screen and stretch game

If he was better than Massie, why didn't they just cut Massie and start Coward? I believe Sowell was the first backup...Coward was inactive a bit throughout the year.

The Bears keep a lot of people throughout the year most of them don't become starters the next year. Especially the ones that have a tendency to be non-injury inactive.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If he was better than Massie, why didn't they just cut Massie and start Coward? I believe Sowell was the first backup...Coward was inactive a bit throughout the year.

The Bears keep a lot of people throughout the year most of them don't become starters the next year. Especially the ones that have a tendency to be non-injury inactive.

Because he needed experience and coaching.

Most guys are not transitioning positions at the NFL level. The fact that they used a roster spot all season on a guy who was transitioning positions tells us a lot about what they thought about him.

Now Coward has a season of seasoning under his belt and experience. He has practiced against Khalil Mack for a year., he will get an entire offseason and camp of reps. Far more ready to make the switch and contribute.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because he needed experience and coaching.

Most guys are not transitioning positions at the NFL level. The fact that they used a roster spot all season on a guy who was transitioning positions tells us a lot about what they thought about him.

Now Coward has a season of seasoning under his belt and experience. He has practiced against Khalil Mack for a year., he will get an entire offseason and camp of reps. Far more ready to make the switch and contribute.

Here is the disconnect.

You are hoping Coward is ready because they can't afford Massie. In reality, you have no idea if the coaching staff really thinks he is ready to be a starter.

You'd think that if he was truly getting better he would have supplanted Sowell on the active roster. Coward was still a non-injury inactive into the last week of the season. What tangible evidence is there that he actually has gotten good enough to start? The season just ended, he was never able to replace Sowell, so my only guess is that you are hoping this offseason he makes some leap over both Sowell and Massie that he never did during the regular season.

Again, that is hope not actual tangible evidence that he is a starting caliber RT.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
They have their rt already on the roster; that d line kid they converted

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Flowers would be a good alternative if you're looking for a player who won't command much money and likely get your QB killed.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Thomas Jones was a high pick that busted early but turned it around when he joined the Bears. Still one of my favorite Bears of all time. And my vote would be no on Flowers.

Thomas Jones didn't bust out, he just kept getting hurt in his three years in Arizona. After playing a full healthy season after being traded to the Bucs, he was considered one of the top free agent running backs when the Bears signed him.