ESPN Re-Grades Teams OffSeasons

cbo0485

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's an ESPN+ article so I won't post the whole thing, don't wanna get the site in trouble, but here is the Bears portion. The only team that finished above them was the Colts with an A+

Chicago Bears

Re-grade: A- | Offseason grade: B-

Coach Matt Nagy was still unproven, and the Bears had not yet added Khalil Mack when the original grades were published.

Positive initial returns on Nagy and Mack drive up the grade in combination with a 2018 draft class that netted linebacker Roquan Smith (122 tackles), guard James Daniels (10 starts) and receiver Anthony Miller (33 receptions, 423 yards, seven touchdowns) among the top 51 choices. The Bears' handling of the Kyle Fuller situation -- using the transition tag and then matching Green Bay's offer -- offset a questionable investment in receiver Taylor Gabriel.

While the Mack move, made Sept. 1, changed expectations for the Bears, that move alone does not account for the gains Chicago made. Nagy's ability to make the offense respectable was a big part of the turnaround.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I guess I just don't remember, but people were trashing the Gabriel signing??

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
People trashed the Burton and Gabriel signings because both were players with little or less production in their pasts. Clearly Nagy and Pace knew they were good fits into his offense.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Of course there were people complaining about the Gabriel signing.

If Jesus were signed to head the training staff, there would be people on here who would complain about the time it took him to heal the players because they lost a play fixing their torn Achilles, ACL or separated shoulder.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

If Jesus were signed to head the training staff, there would be people on here who would complain about the time it took him to heal the players because they lost a play fixing their torn Achilles, ACL or separated shoulder.

Personally I'm concerned that he hasn't been certified from an accredited program. I'd also be wondering why he's signed to the team staff, he should be with the refs union healing the blind.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Eh Trey Burton has been nothing special. TE will be a position of focus in 2020 off-season.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Eh Trey Burton has been nothing special. TE will be a position of focus in 2020 off-season.

Doubtful. The drop off from Burton to Shaheen was a steep one. Might look for a backup but they have bigger fish to fry than at TE.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

LOL, you must post exclusively to speak nonsense. Trey Burton was instrumental in many of our wins despite being a ghost on the stat sheet for a bunch of games along the way. You're nuts if you think Nagy's game plan against the Eagles didn't take a hit when Trey was ruled out.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions

Given how shitty he is at heading up placekicking, they probably would be justified.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

If I remember right, most were bitching about $$ signed vs. production in ATL while others were saying he was behind Jones and Sanu and the $$ amount is right along the lines of FA money.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Given how shitty he is at heading up placekicking, they probably would be justified.

Who would you rather have coaching your OLBs...Jesus or Rob Ryan?

That article combines three things I abhor...ESPN, off-season grades before any games are played, and grades given out after the season has already been completed and win-loss records have been compiled.

I don't understand anything about that Bears write-up. Pace's handling of the Kyle Fuller situation was ridiculous and criticized at the time; I don't remember people bashing the Gabriel signing. Yet the write-up portrays things as being opposite. I don't get it...was that the re-write? Glad the author made a brief mention of Mack and Nagy before signing off.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

That article combines three things I abhor...ESPN, off-season grades before any games are played, and grades given out after the season has already been completed and win-loss records have been compiled.

I don't understand anything about that Bears write-up. Pace's handling of the Kyle Fuller situation was ridiculous and criticized at the time; I don't remember people bashing the Gabriel signing. Yet the write-up portrays things as being opposite. I don't get it...was that the re-write? Glad the author made a brief mention of Mack and Nagy before signing off.

Nationally, me neither. I think Gus was on forced vacation during the CCS reactions so I went on memory there. I am sure we all know the usual suspects posting on "either side" of the Gabriel signing "issue".

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Same thing except Rob's white.
Ryan-630x472.jpg