Salary Cap Podcast: Bears Cap Situation

Liked Posts:
Web based player in the article below.

The following questions are touched upon.

Does Cap Hell exist? If so, what causes it?

How much cap space will the Chicago Bears have to work with this offseason?

Can the Bears actually cut Cody Parkey? What would his cap hit do to their offseason plans?

Some have mentioned potentially restructuring Kyle Long’s deal/turning some folks’ cap hits into signing bonus. What’s involved in a contract-restructure and how does it affect the cap?

The Bears have a few fairly important players hitting free agency this offseason — what happens to Bobby Massie, Adrian Amos, Bryce Callahan, Patrick O’Donnell, and the others?

What even is an RFA? An ERFA?

Who are a few way-too-early Free Agency targets for Bears’ fans to keep their eyes on?

Which of the Bears’ NFC North rivals has the worst cap outlook right now?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.windycitygridiron.com/platform/amp/2019/1/15/18183378/chicago-bears-over-the-cap-brad-spielberger-salary-cap-analysis-free-agency-primer-cody-parkey-long

Liked Posts:
Can you summarize some key points?

I'm not quite through it all but....

We have roughly $20M in cap space but cutting Acho and Sims would free up another $8 I think the guy said.

Cutting Cody would cost us $4M in dead money.

Bringing Kyle back by restructuring his contract to pay him the base minimum and the rest gets paid out in signing bonus through 2021, making it an attractive deal for both parties.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:

We have roughly $20M in cap space but cutting Acho and Sims would free up another $8 I think the guy said.

Bringing Kyle back by restructuring his contract to pay him the base minimum and the rest gets paid out in signing bonus through 2021, making it an attractive deal for both parties.
So sign a SS and a OT like trent Brown go bpa in the draft.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Good warden save with a worthwhile thread two thumbs up

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:

The money spent on Cody this year was dead money anyway. The Bears still didn’t have a kicker. Better to go get a real kicker that wont cost the Bears games & let the $4 Mil walk.

Liked Posts:
Who are the others?

I think he mentioned O'Donnell and Lynch too?...can't think of who else right off the bat. You should listen to it, it's quite informative. The expert said that out of the big 3 we should lock Callahan up because slot corners are going to become high dollar players very soon. He also said Amos is expendable and that Bush should be able to occupy that position without a ton of dropoff.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Cap Hell hits in 2021 when we are still paying Mack, possibly have to resign Trubisky, and haven't been able to draft cheap, top talent in the first round for two years.

Liked Posts:
Cap Hell hits in 2021 when we are still paying Mack, possibly have to resign Trubisky, and haven't been able to draft cheap, top talent in the first round for two years.

If it happens that's when it'll happen for sure. BTW, I guess Buffalo spent over 30% of their cap on players that are no longer with the team. Now that's cap hell.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

cutting those two players would save MUCH MORE than 8 bux buddy.

Thanks.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Cutting Acho and Sims would save the Bears $8,125,000.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
If it was only 8 bux they should keep them.

Agreed. Cutting them would help cover the kickers salary hit at $5,187,500 (ouch). So cutting all three would save the Bears $2,937,500 in cap money.

Edit to add: I really don't see any other players that the Bears would want to cut just to increase their cap amount. The Bears salary cap money next season will come from the increase in the NFL salary cap league wide.

What Bears fans need to understand, is that the Bears are finally in a position to let players walk and receive comp picks for the first time in years.

Other thing to realize is that with no high picks, the Bears focus will be on signing 1 or 2 impact FA's as well as re signing their own players.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Parkey is gone for sure so the Bears will be taking a hit. I am just not so sure they are going to sign a high priced kicker like Gould. They may go the undrafted or draft pick route for the kicker to save some money. It depends on how much money they need to re-sign Amos and Callahan.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Agreed. Cutting them would help cover the kickers salary hit at $5,187,500 (ouch). So cutting all three would save the Bears $2,937,500 in cap money.
What hit are we taking signing an undrafted kicker for min salary