Thread: Joe Maddon on Bryce Harper

Default Joe Maddon on Bryce Harper

I'm a Chicagoan till Chicago ends,
    Till we blow like Chicago wind

Hidden Content

All-Star

So either he's right or he's happily surprised.

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by zack54attack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Joe Maddon snuffed out any hope of the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cubs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cubs</a> getting Bryce Harper 2nite at his fireside chat. <a href="https://twitter.com/cbschicago?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@cbschicago</a> <a href="https://t.co/PXGy56wzjw">pic.twitter.com/PXGy56wzjw</a></p>&mdash; Ryan Baker (@RyanBakerMedia) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanBakerMedia/status/1085390098894675970?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 16, 2019</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    Maddon needs to shut the fuck up.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
    I think there is a 12 step program for this issue

I'm not shocked here.

Theo has been transparent.

Boras said that Bryant and Harper's relation is mostly 2 guys talking hitting. .

Maddon pretty much put it to bed. He did push that what they have has shown flashes of what can be citing Happ and Schwarber.

The reality here is pretty plain. They have talent and they went with a coaching change to mature it. Happ and Schwarber have big impact potential. Russell also thus not running from him.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
    Maybe this will show the sheeple how far out of the loop the lame duck Maddon is.
    109 years since the last back to back world titles

All-Star

The problem with taking Maddon at his literal word is that he's savvy enough to doubletalk this.

"Not gonna happen" as in, "You're not gonna get me to talk about this right now, not touching it."

"Not gonna happen" as in, "I have to be focused on the guys who are currently on my roster, Harper is out of sight/out of mind."

"Not gonna happen" as in, "I don't expect it but will be pleasantly surprised if it does."

If you had asked him the same question last year about Darvish, what would he have said? I have a hard time believing he preempted Epstein and Hoyer. If Harper was simply "not gonna happen," I would've expected one of those two guys to just come out and say it already.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbeard View Post
    The problem with taking Maddon at his literal word is that he's savvy enough to doubletalk this.

"Not gonna happen" as in, "You're not gonna get me to talk about this right now, not touching it."

"Not gonna happen" as in, "I have to be focused on the guys who are currently on my roster, Harper is out of sight/out of mind."

"Not gonna happen" as in, "I don't expect it but will be pleasantly surprised if it does."

If you had asked him the same question last year about Darvish, what would he have said? I have a hard time believing he preempted Epstein and Hoyer. If Harper was simply "not gonna happen," I would've expected one of those two guys to just come out and say it already.
    I would take it at face value. You are setting yourself up for a major let down trying to wiggle around what was given.

I believe that the tried to move Chatwood and Heyward and there were no takes and all Joe is doing is saying focus on what we have.

The reality is there is a working budget and Harper excedes it. Also he said it is a disservice to the players on the team by imposing Harper or bust on them.

All-Star

This was just Joe’s way of telling us that he knows that Theo went 0-29 on trying to unload either Chatwood or Heyward on someone else.

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by CSF77 View Post
    I would take it at face value. You are setting yourself up for a major let down trying to wiggle around what was given.

I believe that the tried to move Chatwood and Heyward and there were no takes and all Joe is doing is saying focus on what we have.

The reality is there is a working budget and Harper excedes it. Also he said it is a disservice to the players on the team by imposing Harper or bust on them.
    Well, I don't actually want them to sign Harper, so no "letdown" to be concerned about.

My point is that why in the world is Joe Maddon announcing to the world whether or not the Cubs are out on any FA? That is solely the role of Epstein/Hoyer. And, because of that, people ought to take Maddon's statement with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by CSF77 View Post

Ehhh.
    I'm not saying itll happen but we didn't think Darvish would happen either.
    If Harper wanted to be a philly or National, kinda think that deal would of been made already

All I'm gonna say is this about Maddon, I kinda doubt Epstein and Hoyer confides in Maddon too much on whether or not they intend on making a player an offer