PFF late-seasons offensive line ranking

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't personally agree with these rankings which were published a couple of weeks before the season ended, but here they are nonetheless:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-15

Here is the article that I obtained the reference from, a good read, but nothing new. Big, bruising, offensive lines win you football games:

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2019/01/15/edholm-dominant-trench-play-this-postseason-is-the-trend-being-overlooked/aw80g6f/

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bears offensive line was doing just fine then they decided to plug Kyle Long into the offensive line again. You know what happened.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Bears offensive line was doing just fine then they decided to plug Kyle Long into the offensive line again. You know what happened.

Yep. He's stiff as a fucking board now. All that athleticism is gone. Still it was a bad gameplan to NOT treat Fletcher Cox like Aaron Donald. He makes most guards look like turnstiles.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't personally agree with these rankings which were published a couple of weeks before the season ended, but here they are nonetheless:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-15

Here is the article that I obtained the reference from, a good read, but nothing new. Big, bruising, offensive lines win you football games:

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2019/01/15/edholm-dominant-trench-play-this-postseason-is-the-trend-being-overlooked/aw80g6f/
Great example of what's wrong with PFF. Trubisky makes his line look so much better yet PFF doesn't take that aspect into consideration for the line or Mitchell's overall grade.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Might have something to do with Cox and Bennett.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
"Chicago has very quietly put out one of the best pass-blocking duos in the NFL this season at tackle. Charles Leno Jr. and Bobby Massie have pass-blocking grades of 80.7 and 77.5, respectively, so far on the season. Those figures both rank inside the top-25 for tackles in the league."

Massie better passblocker than he gets credit for?

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Great example of what's wrong with PFF. Trubisky makes his line look so much better yet PFF doesn't take that aspect into consideration for the line or Mitchell's overall grade.
So coverage sacks aren't realistic and are the OTs fault. Damn no one except top 10 tackles in the NFL including right tackles would have a good rating. It would be 80s and and all 50s or worse.

msadows

Liked Posts:
"Chicago has very quietly put out one of the best pass-blocking duos in the NFL this season at tackle. Charles Leno Jr. and Bobby Massie have pass-blocking grades of 80.7 and 77.5, respectively, so far on the season. Those figures both rank inside the top-25 for tackles in the league."

Massie better passblocker than he gets credit for?

Mitch better QB than he gets credit for?

Don't kid yourself, Mitch was the reason this unit was "elite" at pass blocking.

We couldn't get push all year in the run game, and Nagy/Mitch were the reason for the low sack count.

If we had watson in this offense holding onto the ball for 4-5 seconds a snap we would have given up 60 sacks just like the Texans.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I don't hate pff, but you have to look at their different metrics according to how they compile them. Some are ok, others are trash. imo, their OL rating system is the worst of the bunch.

I can see how hard it would be to quantify OL performance because there are so fucking many covariates. And pff fails imo

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Mitch better QB than he gets credit for?

Don't kid yourself, Mitch was the reason this unit was "elite" at pass blocking.

We couldn't get push all year in the run game, and Nagy/Mitch were the reason for the low sack count.

If we had watson in this offense holding onto the ball for 4-5 seconds a snap we would have given up 60 sacks just like the Texans.
What team wouldn't ???

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Ranked 9th, cool. One huge benefit of this Chicago Bears team is that there aren't a lot of deficiencies. Makes evaluating our QB next year straight forward. We don't have to listen to eight years of excuses and suffer through a 2nd contract if the production isn't there.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Frankly, if I were Pace, I'd be packaging Howard and Long to see if I can get an upper mid-round pick from some team.

And draft heavy on the O-line in this upcoming draft.

Our line was ok-to-good, but looking at some of these playoff teams, its becoming apparent our O line still isn't at THAT level yet.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So coverage sacks aren't realistic and are the OTs fault. Damn no one except top 10 tackles in the NFL including right tackles would have a good rating. It would be 80s and and all 50s or worse.

Like when Mitch scrambles away after less than 3 seconds in the pocket? We had a quick throw O and Mitch was still bailing out his line. Don't know what you were watching.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ranked 9th, cool. One huge benefit of this Chicago Bears team is that there aren't a lot of deficiencies. Makes evaluating our QB next year straight forward. We don't have to listen to eight years of excuses and suffer through a 2nd contract if the production isn't there.

I think that rating is high but do expect a more solid effort from the OL next year so agree.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't hate pff, but you have to look at their different metrics according to how they compile them. Some are ok, others are trash. imo, their OL rating system is the worst of the bunch.

I can see how hard it would be to quantify OL performance because there are so fucking many covariates. And pff fails imo

Houston's line was downgraded because Watson held the ball over 3 sec. (by comparison, Mitch was 2.65 with a similar amount of rollouts which always increases that #. They played at a similar level to us overall and averaged .2 yds yard more per run. Of course, they have Watson but Mitch had a similar rushing influence.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fans love to overvalue their players.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Fans love to overvalue their players.

Luol Deng

I'm guessing that with something so subjective, if your OL isn't in the top 5 or the bottom 5, there probably isn't much difference between the other 22 spots. The Bears could be 9th best, could be 26th best, with the conclusion being IMO that the Bears OL in 2018 was "good enough".

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I keep reading here that the Bears couldn’t possibly retain Massie because he will be too expensive. I think I saw Windy even claim he will get 10m a year. I’d like to know on what planet Massie is worth 10m a year. It ain’t this one. Also the package deal of Long and Howard for a high draft choice is par for the course CCS player valuation.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I keep reading here that the Bears couldn’t possibly retain Massie because he will be too expensive. I think I saw Windy even claim he will get 10m a year. I’d like to know on what planet Massie is worth 10m a year. It ain’t this one. Also the package deal of Long and Howard for a high draft choice is par for the course CCS player valuation.

The CCS market value and player trade models are based on Madden 2003 Franchise Mode.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Massie said he'd like to be back so would probably be reasonable if we want him. Problem is that we likely need to make some sacrifices and I suspect Nagy would like a more mobile RT anyway. Not that Massie is slow but he seems to get anchored at times. I have no idea about Coward but this is why you hire Hiestadt. Coward looks a little lean in the lower 1/2 but they may have been working on that.. Maybe Sowell can get coach up as well.